Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I bought an 05 300C and really like it. It has 89,000 miles and the 5.7 hemi but a couple days ago the head gasket blew and took out the number one cylinder, dumped coolant in the crankcase blah blah blah long story short I need a new motor. I can find crate motors for around $4,000 but I found a used motor from an 03 1/2 ton dodge ram that I can get for $1,000. Will the motor from a pickup work? I've heard the heads are different and that truck motors use iron blocks and cars use aluminum. I know I'd have to swap oil pans but is that it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Blew a Hemi motor with only 89K miles. Man, that's got me scared now, since mines an 05 with 107. I thought these hemi's were dang near indestructible??

·
Administrator
19,623 Posts
They aren't indestructible when you have a catastrophic failure like a sudden loss of coolant or lubrication. No engine is.

In answer to the OP's question, I have no idea if it would work. I would expect the sensor package to be different. Both the truck and LX platform 5.7L engines are cast iron blocks with aluminum alloy heads.

Having torn down a truck engine that had been bored and stroked, I noticed some differences in the oil pump pickup + a mysterious "bolt to nowhere" on the bottom of the engine casting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't worry too much, mine is the only one I've heard of that had a total engine failure. The 5.7 motor is pretty bulletproof, I just had a stroke of bad luck

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The '03 Hemi Ram is a radically different computer. Keep looking for a more compatible motor. I suspect the nightmare of trying to make the Ram Hemi work in a 2005 C would be way too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts