Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Troubleshooting my 2005 300C 5.7L RWD with 151K miles for frequent random intermittent EXTREMELY VIOLENT PULSATIONS roughly 6 to 8 pulses per second regardless of speed from right front wheel BARELY felt in the steering wheel - getting more frequent / more violet over last 6 months. When symptoms are NOT showing it drives perfectly smooth and aligned for up to 15 miles. When pulsating occurs it feels like 4 lug nuts are gone and remaining lug is half way off and wheel has flopped diagonally - uncontrollable! ..but barely felt in the steering. Braking is NOT involved with symptom.

Wheel off suspension inspection with pry bar found all bushings (except sway bar) are good - nothing lose or even cracked. The only thing that makes sense to me for symptoms like this is that the ABS randomly starts super hard pulsing brakes only on this wheel OR for reasons I can't fathom yet, the wheel bearing outer race, which is always silent, is intermittently unseated (cocked) if that's possible.

I pulled ABS pink 30 amp fuse 17 out of front fuse box to completely disable the ABS hydraulics but that didn't change anything. Could this be the wrong fuse to disable ABS?

HISTORY: This right front wheel has been without its speed sensor which was ripped in half by a semi retread separation on highway I couldn't avoid. The old sensor wouldn't release from its hole. This happened a few months before symptoms started. 1 month ago I removed the old sensor plug and severed cable (no fix) then installed and routed new sensor assembly to finish installing once old sensor is drilled out. Then cleared all codes. No fix. Then I removed F-17 - no fix.

WTF-R! (What The Front-Right) is going on?! :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Have you tried swapping over the front wheels left and right? If so what happened?

My AWD has a couple of slightly bent wheels which are always worse when the weather is cold (lower tire pressure) when the car hasn't been used for a few days and when the speed is around 50mph

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PROBLEM SOLVED: Original cause of cascading right front brake problems (over a years time) ending in sudden intermittent extreme braking pulsations found and repaired. In order of occurrence time line:

A year ago, a semi right rear tread separation rolled up into my right front wheel well ripping out the plastic wheel well liner and wheel speed sensor cable. The brake hose didn't appear to have been effected but, a year later, found it had been internally de-laminated.

Fragments of the brake hose internal wall eventually made their way down to the banjo bolt end and blocked it to a point where the caliper pistons wouldn't retract enough after braking. I removed the caliper end of the brake hose, stood on the brake pedal for 30 seconds, and only got one or two drops of brake fluid through the blockage.

With brake pads slowly heating up the rotor to the point where the black brake grease started to burn with thick black smoke, the original Bosch rotor would suddenly snap from true and smooth into a warped wafer washer shape violently grabbing the pads which were against caliper pistons that would not retract. An hour cool down period and rotor would return to normal shape.

The strange reason the rotor suddenly snapped into the wafer washer shape when smoking hot was because three consecutive rotor vents were completely blocked with piled up shavings of rust. All its other vents were rusted but clean and clear. Because I had to know, I cleared the three blocked rotor vents and put it all back together without fixing anything else. I drove it until the black smoke started rolling out from underneath the fender and the rotor never warped - no pulsations.

Replaced everything new from hose to bearing hub. FIXED!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts