Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on ebay that some headlights were 'not for 300c'. But I am replacing the front bumper with an srt-8 or 300c bumper. Does this mean I should order the 300c headlights only? Or regular headlights?:rolleyes:

Please help as my body shop guy is waiting. Thanks!!

Also, any recommandation of inexpensive HID kits? And is the HID kit only for the low beams typically?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think you are aware of this already...but I have to make sure....you have to get non-HID 300c headlights, and then modify them to HID if you want that. I don't know of any inexpensive sets, I just know when I do the conversion, I'm going through Justin at Advanced Automotive Concepts for my set.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Also be aware that you will need the bellypan and the inner wheel wells
for the 300C front fascia to fit and bolt up correctly.

The base/touring/limited bellypan and inner wheel wells are different than
the 300C versions.

Jim

·
Registered
859 Posts
or u can just redrill the holes since its plastic
Since the two belly pans and inner wheel wells are different, by doing this, you are going to
distort the sides of the fascia by bending them slightly to get them to fit.

There are several people on this forum that have done this mod, and all
the ones I read said the it was not just as simple as re-drilling a few holes.

Jim

·
Registered
979 Posts
wanna300 is the guy you need to talk to he converted his base to a srt8 front end with the proper headlights. i believe he was saying redrilling the holes i super easy. BTW there are other sets of projectors you can get as well besides those w/out the halos and leds.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
at first i ran k2 C headlights.. they had halos pre-installed in them.. then when my OEM ones came in, i sold the K2s. they are really nice headlights, btw, so dont have any worries about aftermarket.

and you can put HIDs in either one, just try not to go over 8000k as it might be too hot

·
Registered
979 Posts
at first i ran k2 C headlights.. they had halos pre-installed in them.. then when my OEM ones came in, i sold the K2s. they are really nice headlights, btw, so dont have any worries about aftermarket.

and you can put HIDs in either one, just try not to go over 8000k as it might be too hot
cool thanks for the info david. Not exactly sure what you mean by too hot. the kelvin has nothing to do with how hot a bulb runs. kelvin only refers to the color. Hot you would refer to the wattage of the bubl..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kelvin is still a measurement of relative temperature, no?? I do believe an 8500K bulb will be cooler than a 10000K....

·
Registered
379 Posts
the kelvin has nothing to do with how hot a bulb runs. kelvin only refers to the color. Hot you would refer to the wattage of the bubl..
Actually, Kelvin refers to the temperature of the arc that is creating the light. Kelvin is a temperature scale that starts at Absolute Zero (-272C) and increases numbers on the same increment (or thereabouts) of the Celcius scale. Kelvin indirectly refers to color, because as something gets hotter, its color will change.

IMO, over 7500K is "too hot", but that is just my opinion in that it looks less than great.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Actually, Kelvin refers to the temperature of the arc that is creating the light. Kelvin is a temperature scale that starts at Absolute Zero (-272C) and increases numbers on the same increment (or thereabouts) of the Celcius scale. Kelvin indirectly refers to color, because as something gets hotter, its color will change.

IMO, over 7500K is "too hot", but that is just my opinion in that it looks less than great.
oh ok thats more info than i knew. so basically in a nutshell the bulb will get a bit hotter if there is an increase in kelvin? Do you think its going to make that much of a difference if you use say 8000k in comparison to a 55 watt bulb. I think the wattage will cause more damage than a higher kelvin bulb...

·
Registered
379 Posts
oh ok thats more info than i knew. so basically in a nutshell the bulb will get a bit hotter if there is an increase in kelvin? Do you think its going to make that much of a difference if you use say 8000k in comparison to a 55 watt bulb. I think the wattage will cause more damage than a higher kelvin bulb...
Nah, not at all. The arc really doesn't have enough energy to be able to create a whole lot of heat other than what is happening to the ionized gas that is creating the light. IIRC, HIDs almost as a rule run cooler than halogens because the light is coming from a relativley free-flowing electrical arc rather than heating a piece of tungsten until it glows white-hot using big resistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts