Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im considering buying an 06 srt8 300. It has 31,000 miles, some modifications (corsa exhaust. Paddle shifters, some other things.) And as far as I can tell in the pictures its in perfect condition. They are asking 17,000 for it, basically what I'm wondering is if you think the car is worth the price? I feel like it is, but it bothers me the car only kbbs at 9-10k. Any thoughts would greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This is a hard question to answer without more information. Low mileage isn't a guarantee of anything except high asking price. The best running cars I've ever owned were all high mileage, and the worst, most problematic ones were the low-mileage garage queens.

If this is an original-owner car, that's a good indicator that it may have been well-kept and relatively trouble-free. It could be for sale because the owner died, moved, or bought a brand new one. Before I went to look at it, I'd want to talk to the owner, and ask some questions, such as "Any issues or problems?", "Is it garaged?", "Where was it serviced, and do you have the service records?, "Has it ever been damaged?", and "May I ask why you're selling it?"

Sometimes, an original owner car can be worth a significant premium above market value. That's not the same thing as a "one-owner" car.

There's only one reason any seller uses the term "one owner", and that's because they're the second owner. "Original owner" means that you are buying the car from the same person who bought it brand new. For some reason, many sellers think that if they didn't go through the formality of titling a car in their own name, that means it's still only had one owner. I have news for you, if someone stole that car, the seller would call the police and say, "My car's been stolen!"

Someone who buys a car from the original owner and flips it is only doing so to make a profit, so you have to be especially careful. A low-mileage, older SRT would set off alarm bells for me, because this is exactly the kind of car that would appeal to an unscrupulous flipper if it were flood damaged, because it is old enough that it may not have had comprehensive insurance coverage, hence, no Carfax flags or salvage title. If it were clean enough, the mileage may even have been turned back. It's easier today than it's ever been, although at least now there's more of an audit trail.

Personally, I think it's overpriced for a 14-year-old SRT, but that aside, if it's not being sold by the original owner, I wouldn't even consider it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well said, CtCarl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a hard question to answer without more information. Low mileage isn't a guarantee of anything except high asking price. The best running cars I've ever owned were all high mileage, and the worst, most problematic ones were the low-mileage garage queens.

If this is an original-owner car, that's a good indicator that it may have been well-kept and relatively trouble-free. It could be for sale because the owner died, moved, or bought a brand new one. Before I went to look at it, I'd want to talk to the owner, and ask some questions, such as "Any issues or problems?", "Is it garaged?", "Where was it serviced, and do you have the service records?, "Has it ever been damaged?", and "May I ask why you're selling it?"

Sometimes, an original owner car can be worth a significant premium above market value. That's not the same thing as a "one-owner" car.

There's only one reason any seller uses the term "one owner", and that's because they're the second owner. "Original owner" means that you are buying the car from the same person who bought it brand new. For some reason, many sellers think that if they didn't go through the formality of titling a car in their own name, that means it's still only had one owner. I have news for you, if someone stole that car, the seller would call the police and say, "My car's been stolen!"

Someone who buys a car from the original owner and flips it is only doing so to make a profit, so you have to be especially careful. A low-mileage, older SRT would set off alarm bells for me, because this is exactly the kind of car that would appeal to an unscrupulous flipper if it were flood damaged, because it is old enough that it may not have had comprehensive insurance coverage, hence, no Carfax flags or salvage title. If it were clean enough, the mileage may even have been turned back. It's easier today than it's ever been, although at least now there's more of an audit trail.

Personally, I think it's overpriced for a 14-year-old SRT, but that aside, if it's not being sold by the original owner, I wouldn't even consider it.
Thanks for the reply. I know it has a clean title, he says he bought it from the original owner who had died about 4 months back says he has got into a situation where he just simply needs the money more then he wants the car. Says it has a clean title and everything on the car works in perfect order.
Also says he does have receipts for all work done. Screenshot_20200621-113815_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200621-113809_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200621-113803_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113815_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113809_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113803_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113758_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113752_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113748_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113739_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113734_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113729_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113719_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-113758_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200621-113752_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200621-113748_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200621-113739_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200621-113734_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200621-113729_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200621-113719_Facebook.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I know it has a clean title, he says he bought it from the original owner who had died about 4 months back says he has got into a situation where he just simply needs the money more then he wants the car. Says it has a clean title and everything on the car works in perfect order.
Also says he does have receipts for all work done. View attachment 174913 View attachment 174914 View attachment 174915 View attachment 174913 View attachment 174914 View attachment 174915 View attachment 174916 View attachment 174917 View attachment 174918 View attachment 174919 View attachment 174920 View attachment 174921 View attachment 174922 View attachment 174916 View attachment 174917 View attachment 174918 View attachment 174919 View attachment 174920 View attachment 174921 View attachment 174922

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Everything I see in the pictures is bad news.

At least if we could see a license plate, it would be likely that it's currently registered. Otherwise, it seems more likely to be a flipper.

The goofy aftermarket fender vents, oversized Matchbox wheels and blacked-out taillights are not what I would expect to see on a 14-year-old car, the original owner of which has recently died. Those are all signs (depending on the part of the country, the window tint could be as well) of a second (or third or fourth) owner trying to make it look "cool".

Flippers love to throw out the phrase "clean title". Of course it's a clean title, that's the default. If you're selling a car with a title issue, that should be mentioned very prominently in the ad. In my experience, flippers tend to say, "clean title" instead of "yes, I am the current titled owner", which is really more relevant. Then you get there and discover that the title is in someone else's name, who has signed the title as seller and left the rest blank. Good luck if you later find out the mileage was turned back, or if there's some sort of title or registry issue.

I wouldn't seriously consider this car, even if the seller has a title in his name. He may have gotten a good deal on it, but then he, in my opinion, buggered it all up, and I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay over market value for it.

Whether you like the aftermarket changes or not, the car likely had some originality, and together with low mileage and the right pedigree, it might have been worth a premium over market value. That's out the window now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you again for the reply. I have the vin so ill look up car facts, so say you could get the car more around $10,000 and the car facts turn up good. Would you say it would be a decent buy at 10,000? Also I do not like the huge rims they would have to go and the fenders im not sure how I feel, the taillights are just covers also.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thank you again for the reply. I have the vin so ill look up car facts, so say you could get the car more around $10,000 and the car facts turn up good. Would you say it would be a decent buy at 10,000? Also I do not like the huge rims they would have to go and the fenders im not sure how I feel, the taillights are just covers also.
If you can get it for fair market value, that's a different story. Sure, check it out, and have it inspected carefully by a competent mechanic. Once you have all the info in front of you, go ahead and make an appropriate offer if you like.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You also may want to take the VIN down to your local dealer's parts department and have them print you out a build sheet for the vehicle. I understand you can also do it on line, but I don't know how.......maybe someone that does can chime in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
IDK why Carl is so concerned with the whole "one owner" thing, it either has a good title or it doesn't. That said I agree with the rest. Too much money, questionable mods, and a story that doesn't really make sense. That and be careful of mileage, I think it's actually possible to change the displayed mileage on these cars.

That said it's all about condition, what you want, and what you think it's worth to you. For example I much prefer the 2nd gen, and I think for that money I could get a 2nd gen. But if you have to have a 1st gen, it's the right car, passes inspection and he moves on price, maybe.

BTW I paid $17 for the fully loaded '14 in my signature with 46Kmi, $17 for a 8 year older car with less goodies just cause it's an SRT8 does not sound worth it.

Reactions: JBIKER

·
Registered
115 Posts
You also may want to take the VIN down to your local dealer's parts department and have them print you out a build sheet for the vehicle. I understand you can also do it on line, but I don't know how.......maybe someone that does can chime in.
Yeah, I was able to look mine up online but my dumb ass didn't save the link. Think I found it in this forum though. That said, ya can just email the VIN to Chrysler and ask. But also, build sheet isn't really going to say much that matters. A CarFax and dealer service records is going to provide more useful information. For example confirming the mileage. If there's a lot of records with mileage from registration, title transfers, and dealer records, then maybe it can be trusted.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I agree, I've got all that stuff for the two "used" vehicle I bought. Lots of good information, especially if you can get your hands on the maintenance records. .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the replies, I did check out the car fax and everything did check out, regular service, no accidents milage came back right, everything seems to be right, went and checked out the car today and for the most part it's a straight dime. I mean its beyond gorgeous, for the year. I have him talked down to 13 but I don't think he will go any lower than that. But I'm highly considering buying it for that price, since every other srt8 I'm finding for sale is marked at about 10,000 with 100,000+ miles on them, and far from perfect conditions.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's a much better price. I believe that, in most markets, about $12000 is close to the top, unless it's a real pristine one. Last year, when I bought mine for $6000, it had 164K on it and had never been screwed with......totally and completely stock and needed a cam, lifters and front suspension work. It's not pristine, but a good "10 footer.", and driving down the street, no one would know the difference anyway.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
I would also see if that roof has a warranty aftermarket tend to leak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts