Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 hemi 300c flipped a code p0501 car won't go in to second. Sometimes it will go in limp mode and stay in first till you resart.changed the tcm with a spare still the same both rear wheel sensors are coming up in codes .any input

·
Registered
715 Posts
Probably nothing wrong with your TCM. It uses the wheel speed sensors for transmission output RPM signals and compares them with expected RPM for each gear. If the RPM doesn't fall within certain preprogrammed parameters, it'll set codes and may go into limp home mode. You may want to start your troubleshooting by checking the sensors/tone rings for damage and/or contamination. Also check the wiring/connections.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
06 hemi 300c flipped a code p0501 car won't go in to second. Sometimes it will go in limp mode and stay in first till you resart.changed the tcm with a spare still the same both rear wheel sensors are coming up in codes .any input
Ok changed the plate in the valve body. Now no codes and car will shift to second manually I was thinking of the tone rings maybe.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ok changed the plate in the valve body. Now no codes and car will shift to second manually I was thinking of the tone rings maybe.
Will it shift beyond 2nd? Will it work the same when in Drive? Any noticeable slippage....engine flaring? Was there any metal/aluminum or clutch material in the bottom of the pan when you pulled it apart?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will it shift beyond 2nd? Will it work the same when in Drive? Any noticeable slippage....engine flaring? Was there any metal/aluminum or clutch material in the bottom of the pan when you pulled it apart?
Will shift to 2nd only manually,no metal in the pan ,no slippage and speedo not working dose tcm need programing or tone rings need replaceing?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Will shift to 2nd only manually,no metal in the pan ,no slippage and speedo not working dose tcm need programing or tone rings need replaceing?
What kind of scanner are you using? You should be using a fairly high end scanner that can give you live streams, freeze frame data and able to real ALL transmission codes. IMO, the big clue here is that the speedometer is not working. I'll have to do a little more research on this one.....for sure where does the speedometer getting its signal? I am hoping once this is resolved you'll get to the bottom of this.

In the mean time, to try and get a little more info. can you give a little more background on how this all began.....initial problem, how started, initial code(s), why you changed the parts you changed.....conductor plate/valve body, TCM? Are you positive you got it all back together properly, especially the big plug and valve body torqued properly? Are you sure your "spare" TCM is good? Are you sure you used the correct transmission fluid and is the level correct on level ground when fully warmed up?

·
Registered
715 Posts
For starters, from the Factory Service Manual:

SPEEDOMETER
The speedometer gives an indication to the vehicle operator of the vehicle road speed. This gauge is controlled by
the instrument cluster circuit board based upon cluster programming and electronic messages received by the cluster from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.
The speedometer is an air core magnetic unit that receives battery current on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board through the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit whenever the ignition switch is in the On or Start
positions. The cluster is programmed to move the gauge needle back to the low end of the scale after the ignition
switch is turned to the Off position. The instrument cluster circuitry controls the gauge needle position and provides
the following features:
† Vehicle Speed Message - Each time the cluster receives a vehicle speed message from the PCM it will calculate the correct vehicle speed reading and position the gauge needle at that relative speed position on the
gauge scale. The cluster will receive a new vehicle speed message and reposition the gauge pointer accordingly about every 88 milliseconds. The gauge needle will continually be positioned at the relative vehicle speed
position on the gauge scale until the vehicle stops moving, or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off
position, whichever occurs first.
† Communication Error - If the cluster fails to receive a speedometer message, it will hold the gauge needle at
the last indication for about three seconds, or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, whichever
occurs first. After three seconds, the gauge needle will return to the left end of the gauge scale.
† Actuator Test - Each time the cluster is put through the actuator test, the speedometer needle will be swept
to several calibration points on the gauge scale in a prescribed sequence in order to confirm the functionality
of the gauge and the cluster control circuitry.
The PCM continually monitors the vehicle speed sensor to determine the vehicle road speed. The PCM then sends
the proper vehicle speed messages to the instrument cluster. For further diagnosis of the speedometer or the instrument cluster circuitry that controls the gauge, (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - DIAGNOSIS
AND TESTING). The speedometer is serviced as a unit with the instrument cluster.

I'll do a little more checking around in the FSM this afternoon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of scanner are you using? You should be using a fairly high end scanner that can give you live streams, freeze frame data and able to real ALL transmission codes. IMO, the big clue here is that the speedometer is not working. I'll have to do a little more research on this one.....for sure where does the speedometer getting its signal? I am hoping once this is resolved you'll get to the bottom of this.

In the mean time, to try and get a little more info. can you give a little more background on how this all began.....initial problem, how started, initial code(s), why you changed the parts you changed.....conductor plate/valve body, TCM? Are you positive you got it all back together properly, especially the big plug and valve body torqued properly? Are

In the mean time, to try and get a little more info. can you give a little more background on how this all began.....initial problem, how started, initial code(s), why you changed the parts you changed.....conductor plate/valve body, TCM? Are you positive you got it all back together properly, especially the big plug and valve body torqued properly? Are you sure your "spare" TCM is good? Are you sure you used the correct transmission fluid and is the level correct on level ground when fully warmed up?
Pick the car up from family
you sure your "spare" TCM is good? Are you sure you used the correct transmission fluid and is the level correct on level ground wh

en fully warmed up?
Pick the car from family so car came with code p0501 . so I changed the tcm from a spare and an other 300c also changed rear wheel sensors from working car .further looking into the problem I changed the condutor plate with solved the codes but still dose not shift to 2nd unless manually no 3rd even manually no 3rd.and speedo dose not work so I'm looking at hole trans or rear tone ring.also try ed some data logging and this is what got could not get the solinoids to set?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it was the tone rings on drive shafts .installed new shafts fixed the problem ..

·
Registered
715 Posts
Glad you found and fixed it. Enjoy the ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts