Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want this car. I am looking at one with 64k for on the dash for 13k, but this is an old car. If the mileage is that low on a 14 year old car (2-owner privately owned, guy bought from cousin). What could possibly go wrong? What has went wrong with yours? Thanks guys. Any feedback would really help out.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Low indicated mileage isn't a guarantee of anything, except maybe overpricing.

Ask to see any service records the owner may have, and then cross-reference them here and here.

On a car like that I'd be concerned about how the car was stored when it wasn't being driven. See if you can find out whether or not it was garaged. Look for clues, like when you go to see it, was it parked on the lawn with grass growing around it? Look it over very carefully and understand that some replacement parts will be either hard to find or very expensive, even little things like the plastic trim on either side of the windshield. Check out the coolant reservoir for sludge or other signs of coolant mixing. Take it to a reputable shop and have them look over the mechanicals, especially the front end and suspension. A compression check is a worthwhile investment as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want this car. I am looking at one with 64k for on the dash for 13k, but this is an old car. If the mileage is that low on a 14 year old car (2-owner privately owned, guy bought from cousin). What could possibly go wrong? What has went wrong with yours? Thanks guys. Any feedback would really help out.
Buy a newer one! I recently paid just over 16K for an AWD 2018 300S with 40K miles on it. It is very nice! They had five of them at Hertz Sales in Roseville CA.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Buy a newer one! I recently paid just over 16K for an AWD 2018 300S with 40K miles on it. It is very nice! They had five of them at Hertz Sales in Roseville CA.
If the OP is looking at an SRT-8, he probably isn't interested in a V-6.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the OP is looking at an SRT-8, he probably isn't interested in a V-6.
Your probably right if he is after the power and performance of an SRT-8. The 300s with a 5.7 and eight speed is still pretty good on performance. I need the AWD where I live so have the required penstar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are plenty of SRT-8s out there with low miles. You have to remember that many original owners of these cars did not use these as daily drivers and had a second ( or primary) car available to them. At $50k, many bought these cars with the intent of having it be a “collector” car, etc. and/or, as noted earlier, didn’t drive them all the time. I purchased my 2006 (MADDOG’s) for under $10k and it had under 60k miles on the clock. $13k seems a little too high a cost though, unless it’s a total peach (flawless paint, no wheel rash, newer tires, good brake pads and rotors, lots of maintenance records, all TSBs up to date, etc). You have to remember that new tires, the right sizes etc, are going to be $1,400 installed. New brakes and rotors will run you $600-$1000 (don’t skimp here). Heck, a new battery (do not get a cheap battery) will cost you $180-$220. An oil change w/filter are $90ish (doing it at home).

The SRT-8 is a LOT of car for the money, but also requires a little bit more maintenance (i.e. more frequent oil changes than other cars) and requires the use of full synthetic oil at $8-$12 per quart (go to Walmart for the nest prices on oil). And, if you drive it like you want to, will eat up tires and brakes, and will also consume a LOT of fuel (unless you can keep your foot out of it - why are you buying an SRT-8, if not to drive it like you stole it?)

Plus, don’t forget you’re going to want to add an aftermarket cold air intake (the factory air intake is already a CAI) for the improved sound, and moderate performance gains. So, add $300-$400. Oh, and then you going to want a “tune” - go ahead and add $500 - $1000.

Lest we forget that you’re going to need to replace that dismal head-unit, so you can have bluetooth etc. so add on $300 for a decent Pioneer or Kenwood. But you don’t want to lose steering wheel controls so you’re going to want to get a Maestro I-link which adds another $200ish. Now you also need a dash kit so that new stereo fits; that’s $45. Since you’re already in there, may as well add a back-up camera, we’ll call that $20.

Of course, since you’re on here you’re a “car guy” and all is “car guys” know that you will Just have to convert the interior to LEDs. Add $100ish for that.

You get the picture!!!

option 2a: find one that has had a few of these things done already. That’ll save you some $... option 2b: buy used parts (meh).

·
Registered
375 Posts
There are plenty of SRT-8s out there with low miles. You have to remember that many original owners of these cars did not use these as daily drivers and had a second ( or primary) car available to them. At $50k, many bought these cars with the intent of having it be a “collector” car, etc. and/or, as noted earlier, didn’t drive them all the time. I purchased my 2006 (MADDOG’s) for under $10k and it had under 60k miles on the clock. $13k seems a little too high a cost though, unless it’s a total peach (flawless paint, no wheel rash, newer tires, good brake pads and rotors, lots of maintenance records, all TSBs up to date, etc). You have to remember that new tires, the right sizes etc, are going to be $1,400 installed. New brakes and rotors will run you $600-$1000 (don’t skimp here). Heck, a new battery (do not get a cheap battery) will cost you $180-$220. An oil change w/filter are $90ish (doing it at home).

The SRT-8 is a LOT of car for the money, but also requires a little bit more maintenance (i.e. more frequent oil changes than other cars) and requires the use of full synthetic oil at $8-$12 per quart (go to Walmart for the nest prices on oil). And, if you drive it like you want to, will eat up tires and brakes, and will also consume a LOT of fuel (unless you can keep your foot out of it - why are you buying an SRT-8, if not to drive it like you stole it?)

Plus, don’t forget you’re going to want to add an aftermarket cold air intake (the factory air intake is already a CAI) for the improved sound, and moderate performance gains. So, add $300-$400. Oh, and then you going to want a “tune” - go ahead and add $500 - $1000.

Lest we forget that you’re going to need to replace that dismal head-unit, so you can have bluetooth etc. so add on $300 for a decent Pioneer or Kenwood. But you don’t want to lose steering wheel controls so you’re going to want to get a Maestro I-link which adds another $200ish. Now you also need a dash kit so that new stereo fits; that’s $45. Since you’re already in there, may as well add a back-up camera, we’ll call that $20.

Of course, since you’re on here you’re a “car guy” and all is “car guys” know that you will Just have to convert the interior to LEDs. Add $100ish for that.

You get the picture!!!

option 2a: find one that has had a few of these things done already. That’ll save you some $... option 2b: buy used parts (meh).
Are you quoting U.S. dollars?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes! US dollars... is there something specific you’re questioning?
Just the exchange rate. You know, $1400 for tires, $1000 for brakes, $1000 for a tune on a stock engine. Didn't sound like USD to me. Zimbabwean dollars, maybe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
These are price ranges, which, of course, will vary by location and who is doing the work. But a good tire, is $225 - $300, plus all the taxes and fees and your quickly at $1200 - $1400 installed. I won’t put myself or my family at risk by installing cheap tires, or cheap brake parts.

Okay, I’ll give it to you that a “tune” is $350 - $1,000 for one that’s worth it. Diablo Sport Predator 2 costs $350.00. If you want to step it up to in-car performance monitoring/diagnostics your going with a Trinity2 and those are about $600.00. Add any kind of customized tune for your area (temp, air density, fuel type and octane, and other modifications) and you add another $250 - $1,000.

It is worth noting that these are price ranges. Not hard and fast numbers. We are here to support other members and encourage them to love their cars. Informative, honest insight is what I look for and is therefore what I look to provide. My comments are based on my personal experiences, and how I approach my purchase decisions.
Heck, I bought 2 SRT-8s within two weeks. The first one seemed like a great car. Then I found a better car and sold the first one.

·
Registered
375 Posts
There's a difference between throwing money at your own car willy-nilly, and wagging your finger at a new guy, reproaching him repeatedly to "remember", and telling him that he isn't a "car guy" unless he immediately dumps $5000 into a fourteen-year-old used car on tires, brakes, a battery, a cheap head unit, a handful of LED bulbs and a tune...on a stock engine, no less.

On the other hand, the OP dropped his post eight days ago and hasn't been heard from since. I'm guessing he's not exactly listening raptly and scribbling copious notes, so...carry on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a difference between throwing money at your own car willy-nilly, and wagging your finger at a new guy, reproaching him repeatedly to "remember", and telling him that he isn't a "car guy" unless he immediately dumps $5000 into a fourteen-year-old used car on tires, brakes, a battery, a cheap head unit, a handful of LED bulbs and a tune...on a stock engine, no less.

On the other hand, the OP dropped his post eight days ago and hasn't been heard from since. I'm guessing he's not exactly listening raptly and scribbling copious notes, so...carry on.
Sorry I went M.I.A. on ya’ll. I ended buying a different one. 2006 Chrysler SRT-8 with 68k on the clock. Got it for 11.3k taxes and everything (CA). Complete gem. 2-owner. Installed a 180 thermostat. Some scratches here and there but nothing ugly. Came with Lojack, and a TON of receipts. Such a blast to drive too.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry I went M.I.A. on ya’ll. I ended buying a different one. 2006 Chrysler SRT-8 with 68k on the clock. Got it for 11.3k taxes and everything (CA). Complete gem. 2-owner. Installed a 180 thermostat. Some scratches here and there but nothing ugly. Came with Lojack, and a TON of receipts. Such a blast to drive too.
Glad you found something you're happy with. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
629 Posts
And you need Lojack there. When I lived down there about 30 years ago, I used to put hidden ignition kill switches on all of my vehicles. Had one....almost two stolen out of my driveway. The alarm scared them away on the second one. I hadn't yet put the kill switch on the first one as I had just recently bought it.

And yes, the SRT8's are a hoot to drive. Be careful and stay away from the tickets, as you know how quick you can get to 60+ mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And you need Lojack there. When I lived down there about 30 years ago, I used to put hidden ignition kill switches on all of my vehicles. Had one....almost two stolen out of my driveway. The alarm scared them away on the second one. I hadn't yet put the kill switch on the first one as I had just recently bought it.

And yes, the SRT8's are a hoot to drive. Be careful and stay away from the tickets, as you know how quick you can get to 60+ mph.
oh yeah brother im already knowin!!! Time to make this car MINE!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts