Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any of you folks out there have tips on replacing 06 6.1 srt8 water pump? Seems straight forward but while looking to buy one im seeing alot of water pump and oil pump timing chain and tensioner kits?

Getting at that mileage where this might not be a terrible idea. Changed plenty of timing belts and tensioners in my day yet ive never gone as far as a chain...... input and advice on such a project?

What do you all think? Swap the water pump and send it or take the extra steps while im in there? Planning on pulling front end apart anyhow as ive got a torn up bumper and going to replace radiator/hoses/thermostat/tensioner and bumper as well as headlight assemblys while im getting into it....

Thoughts and walkthroughs appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wondering if any of you folks out there have tips on replacing 06 6.1 srt8 water pump? Seems straight forward but while looking to buy one im seeing alot of water pump and oil pump timing chain and tensioner kits?

Getting at that mileage where this might not be a terrible idea. Changed plenty of timing belts and tensioners in my day yet ive never gone as far as a chain...... input and advice on such a project?

What do you all think? Swap the water pump and send it or take the extra steps while im in there? Planning on pulling front end apart anyhow as ive got a torn up bumper and going to replace radiator/hoses/thermostat/tensioner and bumper as well as headlight assemblys while im getting into it....

Thoughts and walkthroughs appreciated!
Oh. And with that said i realize it will be alot more involved andexpensive.

185k.

Wanted to get into top end and check for wear and tear anyhow......... like i said. Have never done a chain. I imagine it still requires a tensioner and cams gonna need to be pulled but is it worth the trouble to go this far into preventative maintenance?

(Love the car. Never getting rid of it)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Interesting post. I don't generally think much about timing chains, but I recently did a water pump on my Fox Mustang, and was surprised to discover that the timing chain was pretty slack at only 38,000 miles.

Based on that experience, apples and oranges as it may be, if I were opening up a hemi with close to 200k, I think I'd probably do the timing chain, maybe the lifters too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cam (singular) does not have to come out to replace the chain. Tensioner and guides for sure. (If you're going that deep. Possibly even oil pump.)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interesting post. I don't generally think much about timing chains, but I recently did a water pump on my Fox Mustang, and was surprised to discover that the timing chain was pretty slack at only 38,000 miles.

Based on that experience, apples and oranges as it may be, if I were opening up a hemi with close to 200k, I think I'd probably do the timing chain, maybe the lifters too.
Thinking the same myself......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cam (singular) does not have to come out to replace the chain. Tensioner and guides for sure. (If you're going that deep. Possibly even oil pump.)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Indeed. But..... would you know of any helpful guides to do so?

Pretty savvy as to the what why and how but.... what kind of nightmares await me inside a beast? I just dont know....

Any sort of reference or guidelines you could share with me would be great!

Also. Poor grammar on my part. I know the cam is going to have to be pulled. Not i know cams gotta...my bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed. But..... would you know of any helpful guides to do so?

Pretty savvy as to the what why and how but.... what kind of nightmares await me inside a beast? I just dont know....

Any sort of reference or guidelines you could share with me would be great!

Also. Poor grammar on my part. I know the cam is going to have to be pulled. Not i know cams gotta...my bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh. I read that wrong. No cam pull necessary..... hmmm. I absolutely hate trying to source this crap online.

I just figured id pull it and reset everything since its not something im familiar with..... overkill is what i think im hearing though?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'll give you my two cents for what it's worth. At 175K, unless it's not been cared for at all and beat to crap, your timing chain and tensioner will probably still be good and there should be no need to replace it, unless you're planning to do a performance cam. I had my 06 300C SRT8 torn down for just that at 164K and the chain and tensioner were still fine. I did replace the tensioner though since I was changing the cam..

As far as the water pump goes, I'd highly recommend you buy a NEW one, not a reconditioned one. Get a piece of cardboard and punch holes in it in the pattern of all the bolts that hold the water pump on. There are a bunch of them and they're all different lengths. If you don't do this, you'll more than likely have problems getting them back where they belong. The rest of the job is pretty straight forward and really not too difficult. Be sure to check your belt tensioner and idler pulley while you have the belt off. Also, torque the bolts to the specs. in the Factory Service Manual.

Use ONLY HOAT type anti-freeze mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED water. To fill the coolant correctly, you'll have to remove the small 1/4 in. pipe plug on the pump, by the thermostat housing. Chances are it'll be way overtorqued (all three of mine were from the factory) and you'll need a 6 point socket to get it out without stripping it. Fill with coolant until it starts coming out of that hole. Then wrap a little teflon tape on the plug and screw it back in just enough so it won't leak and then a little more. There is no need to torque it to the moon. After cleaning the overflow tank fill the tank to the "full" mark on the side. Warm it up for about 15 minutes and you'll probably have to add a little. Check the level every morning (cold) for about a week or until it doesn't need to be serviced. Depending on how much coolant you initially got into it, you may have to add small amounts for up to 5-6 days until it maintains the correct level. Also, be sure to pressure check the entire system (keep it under pressure for about 15 minutes) to make sure there are no leaks and the system hold pressure. Don't forget to pressure check the radiator cap too. It'll probably be bad anyway.

Reactions: Craijone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks said screw it did water pump all good and fine now. Figure ill wait til summer to go further. Wa weather sucks when you have a tiny garage!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts