Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2006 chrysler 300 isn't shifting gears. at first it wasn't turning on, i kept having to jump it when i would try turning it on. I had a mechanic take a look at my battery and he said i had an acid leak, 3 days before that my car was smelling like rotten egg for a few days. the mechanic mentioned the smell was cause of my battery. now i changed the battery & my engine light is on. now it only goes up to 40 but doesn't shift gears. it feels like its pulling the car.
yes it does drive and it moves but what can it be?

Im sure it has something to do with my transmission. ( i have a v6)

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,565 Posts
It may be in "limp mode" as a result of a power loss. Is your check engine light on?

In your fusebox under the hood look for the "AutoShutOff/PCM" fuse (you may have to consult your owner's manual fuse chart first), pull the fuse and let the car sit for a minute or two. What this will do is reset the computer and clear any codes, including the "limp mode".

Put the fuse back in the car, start it up and see how it drives from there.

Please let us know how things go for you on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the check engine light is on.

I will try that when i get home from work today. Im hoping it is a fuse. I forgot to mention on Saturday when my car was not starting I started to mess with the fuse box and was pulling them.
One had fallen out & I didnt remember where it was supposed to go so I put it where i thought it had gone. I will get back to your post when I check if it works.

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,565 Posts
In addition, i was messing with the fuse box located under the hood.
Well, stop that!!! ::wink::

Get out your owners manual. It will help with 1) finding the right fuse and, 2) getting them all back into the proper location by amp value.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
When you get back to us, how about giving us the mileage on the car, and at what mileage the transmission fluid and filter were changed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mileage was reset. I recently purchased the about 3 months ago. My odometer states 89 thousand but on car fax it stated the last oil change was done at 131 thousand. therefore, i found out the car miles were re winded.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Oh dear... hmmm...

Take it somewhere and pull the code in the computer and tell us what it is. Is your car a 4 or 5spd auto? (Does it have autostick so you can manually select gears?) I feel a bit like desiree... if you don't know the history on the car I'd say get a fluid and filter job done on the motor and transmission to be safe. Have you had the fluid level in the transmission checked yet?

Sounds like it's in limp mode to me....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well it wasnt the fuse. I tried taking it out & replacing it. I tried putting transmission fluid as well. still nothing.

I went to auto zone & they stated they no longer use the machine there. dont know why.but im guessing its the transmission.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well it wasnt the fuse. I tried taking it out & replacing it. I tried putting transmission fluid as well. still nothing.

I went to auto zone & they stated they no longer use the machine there. dont know why.but im guessing its the transmission.
1st - If your car doesn't have a transmission dipstick - don't add fluid! These cars are very sensitive to the amount of fluid (too much or too little can cause issues)

2nd - O'Reilly, Advanced and many of the other auto parts stores will do the test for you (I suspect the guy at Auto Zone was just lazy, as I had one checked there a couple of weeks ago)

3rd - Stop by a Chrysler dealer and have the fluid level checked. My local dealer didn't charge for this service.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Pull the code... tell us what it is.

Check the fluid level at the dealer. Let us know the result.

We have to know if it's a 5spd or a 4spd, figure it out and let us know.

As mentioned above... don't add fluid if its a nag 1 5 spd.

If you give us some info we can help with this one... guessing will cost you a small fortune.

I personally suspect it's the conductor plate or a speed sensor, but I can't give you any clue till I know what transmission I'm dealing with.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
P0882 - TCM power signal input too low. Usually a sign of an internal failure of the TCM (transmission control module), it controls the shift patterns, ability and pressures, also locks up the tq converter. If it dies no shift or erratic hard shifting.

P0700- This is a general transmission related failure code, it can cover a whole manner of sins from a bad TCM through to a duff conductor plate or even a wheel speed sensor.

P0400 - is an EGR code.... the EGR recirculates gasses for emissions control. If they get dirty or die they can make a car run rough and stall. This can be pulled off with a couple of bolts and cleaned with some non chlorinated brake clean, if it still doesn't work proper spec would be to reolace the valve.

However... before running off and doing that I'd try looking into the TCM as a problem. It's located under the dash on the drivers side under the steering wheel on the left. It stands vertical and has two big plugs going into it... wiggle thise connections and make sure they are seated... it is also possible it has puked. If so depending on whether its a 5spd or not will dictate your next move.

Can you please tell me if it is a 4 or 5spd transmission... if you don't know take a picture of the shifter and post it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts