Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone is using 0w-20 or 0W-30 on their SRT-8? Stock calls for 0W-40, its tough to find a brand for that grade too. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
srt8dunk said:
Just wondering if anyone is using 0w-20 or 0W-30 on their SRT-8? Stock calls for 0W-40, its tough to find a brand for that grade too. Any suggestions?
At least while under warranty, the general opinion of this board is to use the Mfr. recommended 0W-40 only.
Mobil1 makes it and it is reportedly carried at Autozone for one. The dealership should have the proper weight as well if they sell/service SRT8's and Crossfires.

There are many heated debates on this topic to be found using the site's search engine... here are a few:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt-8-general-discussion/10087-yet-another-oil-change-post.html?highlight=SRT8+oil

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt-8-general-discussion/9699-new-srt8-oil-finally-available-asap.html?highlight=SRT8+oil

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I just saw it at Autozone and Wal Mart. If you are even remotely thinking of using a non approved weight in your SRT8, go to the chalkboard and write 100 times "I will only use factory spec oil".

·
Registered
50 Posts
walmart does not deserve a cap and walmart sucks, oh yeah die walmart die.

Who me I don't have issues with walmart; much!!

amant

·
Registered
482 Posts
amant said:
walmart does not deserve a cap and walmart sucks, oh yeah die walmart die.
Excellent!!! Mobil 1 deserves the same as well, so go find a good oil and stay away from the Mobil 1 crap. Just because they pay several million dollars to DCX, GM and others to be the 'factory fill' oil, doesn't mean they are the best. Research pays off...Advertising is just that....

Todd

Edit: A nation wide release went out that all 5.7L hemi's need to go to 5W-20 oil. That included the trucks that did not have MDS and where originally rated for 5W-30. Don't let a service department mix this up on your SRT8, though, as it did not affect the 6.1L(it is in response to the continued "hemi tick" issue found in a growing number of 5.7L hemi's).

·
Administrator
14,572 Posts
WhiteDiamond said:
Excellent!!! Mobil 1 deserves the same as well, so go find a good oil and stay away from the Mobil 1 crap. Just because they pay several million dollars to DCX, GM and others to be the 'factory fill' oil, doesn't mean they are the best. Research pays off...Advertising is just that....

Todd
Yes and just join an Amsoil forum to get the REAL unbiased truth. Reminds me of a song everytime the words oil or nausea are mentioned. "It's Just a Matter of Time". Just what we need, more "expert" inside knowledge. That reminds me of another song, "Send In The Clowns". Ever have Scabies? They just burrow under your skin and drive you crazy, which reminds me of another song, "Crazy".

srt8dunk - Go with what Linda says. Some clowns have even "experimented" with 5W-30 synthetic because they know more than everyone else. No names, no pack drill.

Rambit

·
Registered
50 Posts
Put it in put it in, oh yeah; amsoil the sludge oil for todays fast cars. Its just my personal experience I'm sure I did something wrong but after ten years of me saying Amsoil There GGGreat I finally cracked opened the top part (intake and valve covers) of two 350 motors and found sludge, that was enough for me. I'm sure its good oil if you change it every 2,000 miles like the rest but 30,000 or one year nottt!!!! I did twice a year oil; changes 5,000 to 7,000 in both motors and found sludge, sludge, sludge, bought both vehicles brand new never again.

amant

PS I still think walmart should DIE DIE DIE.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Heh...I have a different theory on wally world. If they sell something that is demonstrably identical no matter where you buy it (coke? motor oil?) for a lot less, SOLD! But stay away from the produce :biggrin:

Bottom line, if I can get Mobil 1 0w40 by the case at walmart for less than $5/quart, I'm not too proud to be seen there...but I'll take the sebring :wink1: cause the SRT has no place in that particular parking lot.

I'll be sure to post when I'm the first one to crack the $40 oil change barrier :silly:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Again, whatever the factory calls for, I have also heard of Castrol causing sludge. My dad has 160K+ on his Town Car and uses brand X oil, sometimes literally brand X dept store oil and does not burn a drop between changes and no blue smoke! I still use M1 synthetic regardless of anecdotal stories.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Again??

I thought the warning label on the oil bottles said "don't mention my name on a public forum, will cause flames".

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
I heard a story recently from a reliable source about an owner who ran his non SRT8 300C at a drgstrip. On the 3rd run, he blew the engine.

It seems he did not heed the manufacturer's warning to use 5W-20 only. Instead, he bought Castrol 5W -50 in bulk at Costco because it was a cheap price!

I guess ignoring the manufacturer's specs is not always the cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Northern Rider said:
I heard a story recently from a reliable source about an owner who ran his non SRT8 300C at a drgstrip. On the 3rd run, he blew the engine.

It seems he did not heed the manufacturer's warning to use 5W-20 only. Instead, he bought Castrol 5W -50 in bulk at Costco because it was a cheap price!

I guess ignoring the manufacturer's specs is not always the cheapest way to go.
Hope that idiot drained to oil out and replaced it with 0w40, then again why should DC pay for this, it's his fault so I hope he had to pay for the engine if full. Even if he did swap the oil, the black box and GPS wil shoe what, when , and where this happened.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Hope that idiot drained to oil out and replaced it with 0w40, then again why should DC pay for this, it's his fault so I hope he had to pay for the engine if full. Even if he did swap the oil, the black box and GPS wil shoe what, when , and where this happened.
NR's story was about a NON-SRT8 so hopefully he did as you said, but used 5W-20. I'd love to hear how THAT whole story plays out!

K then, back on topic:
For best results, and protection under warranty, always follow ( say it with meee...)
...the mfr. recommendations as outlined in your Owner's Manual. :yup:

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
For best results, and protection under warranty, always follow ( say it with meee...) ...the mfr. recommendations as outlined in your Owner's Manual.
Second that, again!
The automotive engineers actually put some thought into the things they recommend for their products. Sure, there are a few loose cannons running around with basketweaving degrees at the big three's engine development divisions, but even those guys are smarter at engine development and the lubrication process than most of us. SO, if nothing else, at least if you follow the owners manual you won't have to swap oil at the race track after a failure, then figure out a lie to tell the service tech after you drag your car on the wrecker.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
WhiteDiamond said:
Edit: A nation wide release went out that all 5.7L hemi's need to go to 5W-20 oil. That included the trucks that did not have MDS and where originally rated for 5W-30. Don't let a service department mix this up on your SRT8, though, as it did not affect the 6.1L(it is in response to the continued "hemi tick" issue found in a growing number of 5.7L hemi's).

Todd, is there a TSB or anything published on this? I'm asking because my brother has an '04 Ram 1500 Hemi, he's got 14,000 miles and no problems using 5w30, but it does have the "ticking sound"....it's just always been there. I never heard anything about running 5w20 in the non MDS hemi's before now. Where can I get first hand info to give to my brother?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm running Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 and MDS is working fine. I ran their XL-7500 5W-20 for 20K and finally decided to try it. It works, as I can hear it switch in and out due to my Magnaflow exhaust. I also read this today in an Amsoil magazine I get monthly. This oil is intended to be used in 5W-20 applications, among others.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf see page 4 TSO 0W-30 description.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
BrilliantBlackHemi said:
I'm running Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 and MDS is working fine. I ran their XL-7500 5W-20 for 20K and finally decided to try it. It works, as I can hear it switch in and out due to my Magnaflow exhaust. I also read this today in an Amsoil magazine I get monthly. This oil is intended to be used in 5W-20 applications, among others.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf see page 4 TSO 0W-30 description.

Not to 'start' something here, i'm genuinely curious. Assuming it really won't hurt anything to run something different than what the manual calls for, what is it that you hope to gain, or think you are gaining, but running the "wrong" oil?... Serious question, not a flame....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts