Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just got back from my first ever run at a dragstrip and I figured I would post my results for you fellow 5.7 guys with stockish motors.

My mods are simply a Diablo with the 93oct/CAI tune, AFE stg 2 intake, and a 180 degree t-stat and kinda new platinum spark plugs. Nothing special mod-wise.

Not to mention I removed all the junk in my glove box and arm rest, all 4 floor mats, the spare tire and jack, and the removable carpet flap covering the spare tire. And had less than half a tank of gas :)

I ran four times, here is my best overall slip of the night.

60ft- 2.18
MPH-78.95
1/8th-9.09

It was about 85 degrees and humid as hell. My best time of the night was when I DID NOT do a burnout. Just roll through the water box and then do a quick spin to dry them off.

I'm not going to mention my reaction times because they were terrible, however I will mention that I raced a 5.7 GTO auto w/ intake, tune, exhaust and new tires twice. He edged me out both times, but upon comparing time slips, I had lower ET's by about 2 tenths.

He had some drag strip experience, and I had NONE and terrible reaction times. Cool guy though, learned alot from him.

So moral of the story? 5.7 guys do not be afraid to back down from a 5.7 GTO even if your close to stock. You have a good chance in the 1/8th. :fing02:

I cant wait until I get exhaust and practice up on my reaction times. Then its anybodies race!

·
Registered
648 Posts
You should be able to get better 60 foot times by not rolling through the water box. My best 60' on stock goodyear assurances is a 2.036 and i still spun a little. I am sure u had a great time though. :fing02:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be able to get better 60 foot times by not rolling through the water box. My best 60' on stock goodyear assurances is a 2.036 and i still spun a little. I am sure u had a great time though. :fing02:
Wow you got an 8.72 on the mods in your sig? Daaang what rpm do you launch at? Have you modified your diablo tune any?

Unfortunately our track is too narrow to avoid the water box. I look kinda goofy but rolling through it and then chirping them a little to dry them off seems to be pretty successful.

I must also admit that I was rather nervous at the line, and paid more attention to the light tree than to my rpms. The 2.18 was my best 60ft. My three other runs were 2.277, 2.263, and 2.274. So obviously I have some practicing to do.

Do you think with a 2.0 I will have a time more close to yours? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yup.. sure did run an 8.72 :biggrin: it was about 70 degrees that day also so i am sure that had a lil bit to do with it. I run at least an 8.8xx every run though. I usually hold my rpm's at about 1200-1500 rpm then on the last yellow i let go the brake without giving it any extra throttle input. As soon as i am rolling i gradually ease into the throttle but i am usually full throttle in like 1 second. I also launch using the sequential shift in 1st then i just let it do its thing. I have never been thru the water pit though nor have i ever really done a burnout i just brush my tires off. The first video should give you an idea of how i bush the dirt off :). Drag radials are a definite must though i know the hemi has more in it. Video of 300c vs g35 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Video of 300c vs g35 (incar) - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup.. sure did run an 8.72 :biggrin: it was about 70 degrees that day also so i am sure that had a lil bit to do with it. I run at least an 8.8xx every run though. I usually hold my rpm's at about 1200-1500 rpm then on the last yellow i let go the brake without giving it any extra throttle input. As soon as i am rolling i gradually ease into the throttle but i am usually full throttle in like 1 second. I also launch using the sequential shift in 1st then i just let it do its thing. I have never been thru the water pit though nor have i ever really done a burnout i just brush my tires off. The first video should give you an idea of how i bush the dirt off :). Drag radials are a definite must though i know the hemi has more in it. Video of 300c vs g35 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Video of 300c vs g35 (incar) - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Excellent, that is jsut what I needed to know. I will try that third yellow trick. Do you let out any air in your tires before you go? Do you remove your spare tire and jack? I think next time I will wait until a little later at night before I run. 85 degrees is not helping me I know.

I would be nervous about Drag Radials though. I would be concerned with how my rear end and axles would handle them. This is my daily driver as well :)

I'm still trying to decide on what exhaust to get. My budget is less than $500.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I will def try your advice next time.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Excellent, that is jsut what I needed to know. I will try that third yellow trick. Do you let out any air in your tires before you go? Do you remove your spare tire and jack? I think next time I will wait until a little later at night before I run. 85 degrees is not helping me I know.

I would be nervous about Drag Radials though. I would be concerned with how my rear end and axles would handle them. This is my daily driver as well :)

I'm still trying to decide on what exhaust to get. My budget is less than $500.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I will def try your advice next time.

Sounds good man .. i usually run my rear tires at about 23-25 psi with the spare tire and jack removed.. i couldn't think of anything else to take out since it is my daily driver also. :biggrin: . I am kinda holding back on the exhaust since it probably would hurt the 1/8 mile time. I think i am just gonna wait till i can do headers/cats/catback at one time. i think i can do without badass sound for now since the AFE2 is keeping me happy. Its all up to you though. A catback may probably be better if you do alot of high speed runs.. which i do none of really. Hope those little tricks work for you bro :fing02:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good man .. i usually run my rear tires at about 23-25 psi with the spare tire and jack removed.. i couldn't think of anything else to take out since it is my daily driver also. :biggrin: . I am kinda holding back on the exhaust since it probably would hurt the 1/8 mile time. I think i am just gonna wait till i can do headers/cats/catback at one time. i think i can do without badass sound for now since the AFE2 is keeping me happy. Its all up to you though. A catback may probably be better if you do alot of high speed runs.. which i do none of really. Hope those little tricks work for you bro :fing02:
Yea your the second person to tell me that exhaust can actually hurt an 1/8th mile time. I guess its from the additional torque or whatever. I had pretty good traction even with 33psi in the tires and a humid track so I'm hoping that I can still hook up even with the extra power/torque from exhaust.

But agreed on the AFE stg 2, i've been asked several times if I have exhaust simply because its sounds so aggressive. Anyway I will post my next times in two weeks. I'm gunning for an 8.8

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE

I just recently had a custom catback put on by a local muffler shop, and so I decided to try my luck at the track again. Here are my results

1/8th- 8.95
MPH - 79.95

The lights went off early so I didnt' have a chance to brake-torque, nor did I remember to lower the tire pressure. It was also 94 F outside. I am very suprised at the performance for such basic mods. I'm shooting for a 8.5-8.7 on a cooler night with a strong launch.

I would also like to mention that my buddy with a stock LS2 GTO ran a 9.2 (his first drag run ever). The temps and humidity of south GA are just murder on any car.

However we did a 60mph roll street race (out in the boonies) and he slowly walked away. Apparently the LS2 is just stronger at higher speeds.

But then again 60 more hp and being 500lbs lighter pretty much puts physics on his side. Either way it was a fun night. Please feel free to give me any suggestions on knocking off a another tenth or 2.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those 1/8 mile times equate to around a 13.80 at 93 to 94mph in the 1/4. Not too bad.
Really? I was under the impression that the ratio for 1/8th to 1/4th miles was 1.57. So you multiply your 8th mile times 1.57. That would put me right around 14.05 i think. But I like your version much better ;)

I have been considering the catless mids from JBA. The LX forums have dyno'd the hi flow cat midpipes at 8whp and the catless mids at 17-20whp. And considering the catted mids are around $500 and the catless are around $280, it makes the bang for a buck very tempting.

I'm looking for .2 of my time, and my state doesn't do ANY inspections at all. I'm just worried about running lean and it being very loud. Does anyone have any advice on running catless midpipes?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hello everyone, I just got back from my first ever run at a dragstrip and I figured I would post my results for you fellow 5.7 guys with stockish motors.

My mods are simply a Diablo with the 93oct/CAI tune, AFE stg 2 intake, and a 180 degree t-stat and kinda new platinum spark plugs. Nothing special mod-wise.

Not to mention I removed all the junk in my glove box and arm rest, all 4 floor mats, the spare tire and jack, and the removable carpet flap covering the spare tire. And had less than half a tank of gas :)

I ran four times, here is my best overall slip of the night.

60ft- 2.18
MPH-78.95
1/8th-9.09

It was about 85 degrees and humid as hell. My best time of the night was when I DID NOT do a burnout. Just roll through the water box and then do a quick spin to dry them off.

I'm not going to mention my reaction times because they were terrible, however I will mention that I raced a 5.7 GTO auto w/ intake, tune, exhaust and new tires twice. He edged me out both times, but upon comparing time slips, I had lower ET's by about 2 tenths.

He had some drag strip experience, and I had NONE and terrible reaction times. Cool guy though, learned alot from him.

So moral of the story? 5.7 guys do not be afraid to back down from a 5.7 GTO even if your close to stock. You have a good chance in the 1/8th. :fing02:

I cant wait until I get exhaust and practice up on my reaction times. Then its anybodies race!
funny that you say that... I raced a 5.7 GTO and I beat him... his car was a manual and we both launched at the same time... We wern't on a drag strip or anything but after we both hit about 110 we hit the breaks. I didn't smoke him by any means, but I was always half a car length ahead of him and moving further away throughout

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
funny that you say that... I raced a 5.7 GTO and I beat him... his car was a manual and we both launched at the same time... We wern't on a drag strip or anything but after we both hit about 110 we hit the breaks. I didn't smoke him by any means, but I was always half a car length ahead of him and moving further away throughout
Really? Awesome dude. Apparently stock for stock the LS1 GTO and the 5.7 hemi are a pretty good match. In my limited experience racing them, we usually beat them out of the hole and they generally run us down once we get into the triple digits. There top end is just awesome.

Also because of there IRS and weight, many of them have trouble hooking up off the line, especially the manuals.

So my advice to anyone wanting to race any GTO, keep the race short and practice your launches. You may just suprise yourself :)

Anyway back on topic. Anyone have any comments on the catless midpipes?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went to the track for the first time this past weekend and this was my best run. Didn't remove anything from the car.

60' - 2.157
1/8 - 9.227
MPH - 77.17
1/4 - 14.292
MPH - 96.65

Also running with 20" rims

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went to the track for the first time this past weekend and this was my best run. Didn't remove anything from the car.

60' - 2.157
1/8 - 9.227
MPH - 77.17
1/4 - 14.292
MPH - 96.65

Also running with 20" rims
Nice passes for your first time! That was about on par with my first runs. BTW I highly recommend removing the spare tire, jack and rear carpet. It takes like 2 minutes and is an easy 75 lbs off your car.

In my opinion, with your mods, you can get into the high 8's easy. One of the guys on here has just intake and tune and runs 8.8's all day long. Of course times are subjective to elevation and temperature, but you have an 8.99 second car easy.

I'm just got my catless midpipes and I'm going to install them this weekend and am hoping to get to the track in the near future. However I have cheap dunlop tires and I know that will be my weak point. Anyway nice job and keep on running it. I will post up any new times if you will!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Really? Awesome dude. Apparently stock for stock the LS1 GTO and the 5.7 hemi are a pretty good match. In my limited experience racing them, we usually beat them out of the hole and they generally run us down once we get into the triple digits. There top end is just awesome.

Also because of there IRS and weight, many of them have trouble hooking up off the line, especially the manuals.

So my advice to anyone wanting to race any GTO, keep the race short and practice your launches. You may just suprise yourself :)

Anyway back on topic. Anyone have any comments on the catless midpipes?
Had catless mid-pipes on for a few weeks early in the year. Took them off cause they were kinda loud and I had to drive from BC to California for the Spring Fling. Didn't want to deal with the drone on a 21.5 hr drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's last night's top run

60ft - 2.139
1/8 - 9.048
mph - 78.68
1/4 - 14.015
mph - 100.48

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Landon. The probable reason for loss of "Out of the hole" power with the less restrictive exhaust is just that. Low rpm runs better with some back pressure. Although the more free flowing exhaust allows better scavenging of the cylinders at higher rpm's. If you look at the sport bikes many (started by Yamaha) now have a EXUP type system.A butterfly valve that closes at low to mid rpms,but open at higher. Most of those after market pipes )at least on the street are slower due to the loss of low rpm back pressure(idiots-but it sounds faster).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Landon. The probable reason for loss of "Out of the hole" power with the less restrictive exhaust is just that. Low rpm runs better with some back pressure. Although the more free flowing exhaust allows better scavenging of the cylinders at higher rpm's. If you look at the sport bikes many (started by Yamaha) now have a EXUP type system.A butterfly valve that closes at low to mid rpms,but open at higher. Most of those after market pipes )at least on the street are slower due to the loss of low rpm back pressure(idiots-but it sounds faster).
Yea thats what people have been telling me as of late. However in my opinion the 5.7 exhaust is so restricitive, that gains in the upper and lower rpm ranges will be gained with any decent catback exhaust.

I mean how else would I have shaved .15 off my times (in the 1/8th where bottom end is key) with a higher temperature and even worse launches than my previous 4 runs with my stock exhaust. My 60ft was even lower.

However this does make me question putting on my JBA catless mids (and the fact that i cant get ANYONE to do it). Because if those go on, I will only have a magnaflow muffler standing between me and straight pipes.

I mean if it was a perfect world and only 1/8th mile runs mattered, then I would probably leave the stock cats on. But while driving it hard I spend 90% of the time in the upper rpms, I'm hoping that any bottom end loss will be negated by much better topend. (i hope)

I will report back if/when I ever get these dang pipes on and get to the track again.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
There are many factors that could be attributable to that fact of .15 better. Ambient temp,Quality of fuel( a whole nother topic rarely discussed,tires( I know you use the same ones),track surface,etc....etc. I could go on. Just keep at it if you enjoy doing it, I hope you can keep dropping those times. In the end it's all about you having fun my friend-and it sounds like you are.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts