Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after picking up my Hemi 300c a few days ago I've now discovered that neither of my 12v sockets work. Today I replaced both 20a fuses but still nothing. Before I set to work dismantling my centre console to check the wiring is there anything I might be missing here? It would be a coincidence if somehow the wiring for both sockets is damaged but it could very well be possible that somebody has previously had the console and ashtray out and forgot to plug them back in.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just to be sure, but are you testing it with the ignition key on in the run position?
No power to those sockets when the key is off.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
The fuse for the cigar lighter socket (the power outlet in the dash) can be made to be either power always on or key-switched depending on how the fuse is oriented in the three available cavities. So as 'BilliTheAxe' suggests, make sure that you are turning the key to "on" when testing for power. You can play with the fuse orientation once you have it working.

As you suggest, somebody may have already ripped into things in the console, so get yourself ready to get in there too. Is voltage available at the fuses? Are the plug-in connectors beneath the fuse block clean and secure. I rewired my console outlet to the cigar lighter outlet just to have the power in the console shutoff when the ignition was off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ignition and engine were both on and I had already tested the fuse in both positions but still nothing. I have also noticed that an aftermarket Bluetooth system was installed which also seems to have no power. I do wonder if power for this has been taken from the cigarette lighter socket wiring and it has come loose but that wouldn't explain why the socket in the storage area between the seats doesn't work. Guess I'll be pulling her apart to investigate.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
The ignition and engine were both on and I had already tested the fuse in both positions but still nothing. I have also noticed that an aftermarket Bluetooth system was installed which also seems to have no power. I do wonder if power for this has been taken from the cigarette lighter socket wiring and it has come loose but that wouldn't explain why the socket in the storage area between the seats doesn't work. Guess I'll be pulling her apart to investigate.
Good hunting!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little update. So after pulling the car apart, checking the wiring, cleaning up all the contacts, cutting out the 2005 aftermarket Bluetooth system and repairing the relevant wires that they were spliced into, I now have a working cigarette lighter socket. Still a little temperamental but it works as long as the adapter is in at a certain orientation. As for the one between the seats, I checked all the wiring and connections and all seemed fine. It turns out that a 1 pence coin is exactly the same size as the inside of a 12v socket, something a previous owner must have been curious about! Coin removed and power restored. I do find it rather annoying that the fuse with two locations is for the cigarette lighter socket and not the one between the seats. I want my dashcam to stay plugged in hidden away under the armrest but never remember to turn it off manually.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Little update. So after pulling the car apart, checking the wiring, cleaning up all the contacts, cutting out the 2005 aftermarket Bluetooth system and repairing the relevant wires that they were spliced into, I now have a working cigarette lighter socket. Still a little temperamental but it works as long as the adapter is in at a certain orientation. As for the one between the seats, I checked all the wiring and connections and all seemed fine. It turns out that a 1 pence coin is exactly the same size as the inside of a 12v socket, something a previous owner must have been curious about! Coin removed and power restored. I do find it rather annoying that the fuse with two locations is for the cigarette lighter socket and not the one between the seats. I want my dashcam to stay plugged in hidden away under the armrest but never remember to turn it off manually.
Yup, first you have to figure out what the previous owners may have screwed up!

And then there's always the old coin-in-the-cigar-lighter trick!

Like I said, rewire the console's outlet to the cigar lighter circuit, and install the fuse in the ignition-switched position so as to cut the power when you leave the car.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh yes the Loose Change syndrome!

It also depends how much junk on drop-down in front of the center console cup holder in the backplate of the stick shift or shifter how many Cokes got spilled down there or items dropped I found an old license in mine and also the wire connection for the lights on the gear shifter was disconnected when I pulled the center console off found all kinds of goodies and wires

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts