Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
I think a 12.6 is possible in a 6.1L SRT8, but to attain it one needs outstanding prep, perfect fuel, and negative DA. Almost nobody gets to run their cars in these kinds of conditions, so it's not typical. On a cold day with negative DA and crappy track conditions, the best most people would be able to do is a low 13 because the cars will not hook with cold tires on a bad track. Another thing to note is that too much sticky stuff actually can slow you down. If they don't prep far enough out, you spin. If they prep further than you need for your power/torque level, the added rolling resistance from the unnecessary sticky stuff slows you down. Everything would have to be ideal to get a 12.6 out of 6.1L. If I were to assign a range of ETs to the 6.1L vs the 6.4, I would say the 6.1L will run in a range of 12.6 (perfect) to 13.2 (less than ideal) while the 6.4L will run in the 12.1 (perfect) to 12.7 (less than ideal). Basically, what I'm saying is that I believe the 6.4L is about a half second quicker on average than a 6.1L. When I was at Cecil County Dragway with 07BBSRT8 (in his 2012 300 SRT8) he ran a best of 12.6 and every one of my runs was 13 flat. The flatter torque curve helped his car pull out quickly, and the track was well prepped.
I agree with this ^^ Pretty much what I have seen, 6.4 is about .5 ro .7 quicker than the 6.1 on the same track with the same conditions.

OP, decent times. When my Challenger was bone stock, with drag radials pulled a 12.5, don't remember the speed.

Now with the Procharger, a whole nother ballgame :)

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
With some better conditions I am 100% sure you can dip into the 12s. Bolt on an exhaust and custom Trinity Tune you're looking at low 12s

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very nice 0 to 60 time. Good run. I am looking forward to going to gateway. 13.0 is great for a car that wieghs 4300 lbs. Going fast with all the amenities. 0 to 60 there is not much that hangs with it on my streets....

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Great run; my best this year was a 13.3 @105.9.

Curious about those strips around your wheel wells; are those aftermarket, or did they come on the car when bought? Mine, and a lot of other SRT8s I've seen don't have them:
both generations export models have had them fitted as standard - like this on mine..... but if you compare the photos, it looks like your standard arch has about the same amount of metalwork as the export version

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
No offense intended here, but as an old timer who has thousands of passes under my belt you guys need to focus more on trap speed than ET, as trap is more indicative of horsepower and less affected by the skill of the driver.

Most stock 6.4's can only trap around 2-3 mph faster than my original 6.1. That's not that much of a difference, and speaks to the real power output.

·
Registered
190 Posts
No offense intended here, but as an old timer who has thousands of passes under my belt you guys need to focus more on trap speed than ET, as trap is more indicative of horsepower and less affected by the skill of the driver.

Most stock 6.4's can only trap around 2-3 mph faster than my original 6.1. That's not that much of a difference, and speaks to the real power output.
So exactly what is trap speed, is that how fast ur car passes the quarter? If so I am at 114.7 mph, let me know if this is what you mean? Also does that mean that for every 1mph is one car length?

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
As a note, be careful how much "burnout" you are doing on regular street tires. You want to basically just spin them enough to clean them off. Too much and you will bring oils in the rubber to the surface and actually hurt your launch.

·
Registered
372 Posts
As a note, be careful how much "burnout" you are doing on regular street tires. You want to basically just spin them enough to clean them off. Too much and you will bring oils in the rubber to the surface and actually hurt your launch.
I wish more people with street tires knew this. I see them spin until they smoke, and just shake my head.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I wish more people with street tires knew this. I see them spin until they smoke, and just shake my head.
Agreed, and yet a little smoke is okay, just not full blown burnout. The problem is...burnouts are so friggin fun to do!! :nervous:

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

No offense intended here, but have you looked at the extra weight the 6.4L models carry over the older 6.1L models? Its not ALL about HP / Torque mate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No offense intended here, but have you looked at the extra weight the 6.4L models carry over the older 6.1L models? Its not ALL about HP / Torque mate.
Despite magazines, real life weight isn't that much more. I've seen them both on a scale. It's not insignificant; however faster 1/4 and trap speed says to me considerably more power with another 100 lbs of weight....

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
That is a very good point. Many people don't know this. The sticky stuff they put down on the track is much stickier than the goo from a massive burnout on street radials. The only kinds of tires that will benefit from a massive burnout would be slicks, DRs, and some R-compound tires.

Also, I believe the 6.4L benefits greatly from a much broader torque curve than the 6.1L. The torque helps it pull harder in the low to mid-range, and the torque on the low end probably doesn't add much to trap speed. It's the combination of torque, power, gearing and traction that determine your ET. The car with the best combo will win and that's all that matters.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
denial

Despite magazines, real life weight isn't that much more. I've seen them both on a scale. It's not insignificant; however faster 1/4 and trap speed says to me considerably more power with another 100 lbs of weight....
Curb weight doesn't lie. Lightest new gen I've seen is a new Super Bee at 4305 with a loaded 300 at 4390.

Since a first gen 300C SRT8 weighs just a tick over 4000, mine is 4040 loaded up, are you in denial or what? 100 pounds? Pure Baloney.

More road hugging weight just robs you of more performance. It also considerably mutes the agreed significant advantage in power. The 6.1 with its peaky power curve would have never hauled that much mass well without the 8 speed trans.

It is really sad that Chrysler didn't put the car on a diet, as even just 100 pounds off the chassis would be easily noticeable in ALL the dynamics!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've heard the panoramic sunroof on the 2nd gen adds around 150lbs due to structure and reinforcement. I'll have to stop at a weigh station on my next highway trip.

I'll tell you this; the day I was running 13.3 there was a 1st gen 300 SRT8 there, with full CAI, catback, Diablosport Predator and a few other mods running 13.3s as well. My 60ft was only a tenth or so behind his.

·
Registered
157 Posts
pound for pound stock for stock the second gens are faster than the first gens. Ive owned both. my fastest trap speed on the second gen was 112.7 mph, almost 113 mph. Roughly a 12.2-12.5 et in a perfect world. 60 foot times, track conditions, and weather will play a factor always. Point is. low 12's in these fat bitches isnt bad right off the lot!

·
Registered
157 Posts
pound for pound stock for stock the second gens are faster than the first gens. Ive owned both. my fastest trap speed on the second gen was 112.7 mph, almost 113 mph. Roughly a 12.2-12.5 et in a perfect world. 60 foot times, track conditions, and weather will play a factor always. Point is. low 12's in these fat bitches isnt bad right off the lot!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Curb weight doesn't lie. Lightest new gen I've seen is a new Super Bee at 4305 with a loaded 300 at 4390.

Since a first gen 300C SRT8 weighs just a tick over 4000, mine is 4040 loaded up, are you in denial or what? 100 pounds? Pure Baloney.

More road hugging weight just robs you of more performance. It also considerably mutes the agreed significant advantage in power. The 6.1 with its peaky power curve would have never hauled that much mass well without the 8 speed trans.

It is really sad that Chrysler didn't put the car on a diet, as even just 100 pounds off the chassis would be easily noticeable in ALL the dynamics!

There are 12 step programs....denial is the first stage.

1st gens don't weight 4000, not a chance, nor do 2nd weigh 4400. Even 100-200 lbs isn't insignificant but the 2nd gen improved on a lot of things in addition to power. It's just a fact. It's not even close, not by a long shot. 2-3 10th faster than 1st gen 0-60 and 1/4 -- Every time. better handling, better G's, better features. Not necessarily better looking, I still like the looks of the first gen a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
agreed

I've heard the panoramic sunroof on the 2nd gen adds around 150lbs due to structure and reinforcement. I'll have to stop at a weigh station on my next highway trip.

I'll tell you this; the day I was running 13.3 there was a 1st gen 300 SRT8 there, with full CAI, catback, Diablosport Predator and a few other mods running 13.3s as well. My 60ft was only a tenth or so behind his.
Absolutely agreed. I have over 200 passes on my car, mostly in 05 and 06 as I was an early adopter like you. I would say the 13.3 is a very realistic and average time for a first gen.

It is interesting to note that the two FASTEST first gen cars I have ever seen at the strip were completely stock. Charger SRT8 ran a 12.64 at Bradenton in late 06 the same night I trapped 111 mph completely original with 700 miles!!! My best ET that night was 12.89.

Most bolt ons do not really guarantee more performance, as many times they rob low end and midrange power while raising peak power just a bit.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts