Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 300C's 18" wheels will fit but I haven't had any of the base 17" wheels to test fit. Does anyone know if these will clear our brakes? Might be good for winter or track use.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The base 17" wheels dont even clear the front calipers on the regular 300C, no way they would clear the Brembos on the SRT8.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, scratch the fronts (wasn't thinking about that when I posted). How about clearing the rear brakes for drag tires?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The rears do clear on the 300C, but I have not had a chance to try them on an SRT8 yet. Once in a while I have to send out customers rims for repair, and I have a set of Touring wheels that I put on the car so it isnt sitting in my bay for 2 days while they are getting fixed. I put the rears on in the shop, drive it out side and then jack up the front and put the fronts on. The rears are fine, but the fronts touch the caliper. I can get them on, but you cant turn the wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
tbyrne said:
I could do that but I'd rather go with the 17s if possible.
The 18" Borbet Type TS fits over the huge StopTech 380mm front brakes for the SRT8. So it's possible the 17" Borbet Type TS will clear the smaller Brembo 360mm stock brakes.

Since I only have 4mm of clearance for the StopTech brakes, and 1" = 25.4mm, the 17" Borbet wheel would be a few millimeters too small if the Brembo and StopTech calipers have identical height over their respective rotors. If you luck out, and the Brembo is a shorter caliper design, then a set of 17" Borbet Type TS wheels might work. It will be very close. I suggest you speak to Luke Pavlick at Tire Rack (888-541-1777 x362) and ask him if they will fit. They do have the Type TS in 17x8.5" for the 300C at just $169 per wheel.

Another (expensive) option is to contact HRE, Fikse, or Forgeline and see if they will build a custom set of 17" wheels for the SRT8.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info! A set of the base 17" 300 wheels are what I'm thinking about using. The car won't be spending much time at the track so I'm not going to go to crazy with these.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
tbyrne said:
Thanks for the info! A set of the base 17" 300 wheels are what I'm thinking about using. The car won't be spending much time at the track so I'm not going to go to crazy with these.
The base 17" wheels probably won't have enough barrel clearance because they neck down too much toward the outside. It's the Borbet Type TS unusual barrel design that makes them a possiblility. I would wager the base 17" wheels won't clear the SRT8 front calipers, but would say the odds are 50/50 that the 17" Borbet Type TS will.

If your goal is to have a matched set of 17" wheels for winter tires, the Borbet (or custom wheels) may be your only option. If you just want a set of 17" rear wheels for the drag strip, you might be able to get away with the base 300 17" wheels.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, that's what I'm thinking about. Just two 17s for the rear. Put some drag radials on those and then head to the track! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another member has purchased the Borbet Type TS 18' and a set of Nitto drags(305/45/18) and everything works great. I have been looking for a set of 17's to clear the rear also. The stock height set up is 28 inches. If you go with 17 inch rims and Micky Thompson ET street tires you get a total of 26 inches.

If the rims clear do you think the 2 in shorter height difference would cause a problem??

·
Registered
593 Posts
tbyrne said:
Yup, that's what I'm thinking about. Just two 17s for the rear. Put some drag radials on those and then head to the track! :)

12.3 with no other mods? :naughty:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Think of the weight savings too!:)
Has anyone thought of the skinny front wheels that Weld makes for the Cobras with the big brakes? They have the offset to clear the brakes, so they may just work for our track needs too. Hmmmmmm???

·
Registered
72 Posts
joshSRT8 said:
Another member has purchased the Borbet Type TS 18' and a set of Nitto drags(305/45/18) and everything works great. I have been looking for a set of 17's to clear the rear also. The stock height set up is 28 inches. If you go with 17 inch rims and Micky Thompson ET street tires you get a total of 26 inches.

If the rims clear do you think the 2 in shorter height difference would cause a problem??
So the borbet type ts wheels WILL fit on the the back of the srt8?... Can anyone tell me If they have used the 17's? Or we just have the conformation that the 18's fit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts