Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a part # to a 180 tstat from auto zone or Napa for the 6.1 ? Tried searching and can't find one , unless the 5.7 tstat is same as 6.1?

·
Registered
562 Posts
motorad 4128, I believe its the same part number for duralast at autozone, not sure about napa

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
It's 4128 at Autozone also.

It's 1/2 millimeter larger in diameter than the OEM t-stat, and does not come with a gasket. Simply remove the gasket from the OEM t-stat and install it on the 4128. You will find that extra 1/2 mm makes for a snug fit. A bit of silicone spray lubricant applied to the gasket will help squeeze it in to the t-stat well. Do not use any sharp tool to force the gasket into the well as it may cut it. Just press around the perimeter with your thumb and it'll slip in there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool thanks. Also on the predator is the change to 180 exact or like 179 or 181 etc. Is it the same temp for low and high speed settings also ?

·
Registered
562 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Reactions: silver06hemic

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
First off if your fan on temp is lower than the tstat opening temp then your fans will never shut off...second if you have more than ten degs difference between high and low settings then your highs will disengage before the lows are commanded on and therefore you will heat up and run highs way more frequently!

A 180 stat will run 184-186 on the freeway unaided by fans... set lows at 189 and highs at 199 and you are good too go. MS to match HS, remember, yoyo have no MS fans!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
After searching this more sounds like that 180 stat is more like 184 .. Should I just go with the 170 since its actually a 174? Just adjust temp settings same as 180 but 10deg diff.. So 179ls 189hs? actually read some older posts that you commented in silver06hemic that 185/195 fan settings are ideal for the 170.. That's only 4deg diff over a 180 stat setting of 189/199 ?

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
After searching this more sounds like that 180 stat is more like 184 .. Should I just go with the 170 since its actually a 174? Just adjust temp settings same as 180 but 10deg diff.. So 179ls 189hs? actually read some older posts that you commented in silver06hemic that 185/195 fan settings are ideal for the 170.. That's only 4deg diff over a 180 stat setting of 189/199 ?
All depends on where you are and how much heat you get, personally I love mine and so does my tuner (Johan), the car just status crisp longer and suffers from little to no KR in the tune as the temps never get high enough to worry about. The only real downside I see is that it is possible to throw a code for not having the cat reach operating parameters within the 'correct' timeline... as I have a tuner it takes a few seconds to reset the code, 4 years of 170 and it has happened once, and I spend lots of time up north as well.

My vote personally is in the 170 but it's not 'necessary' for a bolt on car, it's up to you. My stat runs 176 open and I run my fan temps at 179/189 in the winter and 182/192 in the summer heat (my highs were running a fair bit with the lower settings in the summer heat).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah Johan just tuned mine. Still have to send him 1 more data log but its looking pretty good as is. Had to ad a catch can and did a sea foam treatment so wanna ad the stat then send him 1 last log. Yeah I think I'll go with the 170 then.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
There's 2 diff temp settings.. 1 set for a 170 and 1 for a 180. You think the 180 settings are to low?
Yes I do!
Why?, because the 180 runs more like 185, and those settings below 185 will have the fans running continuously for no purpose.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Should I just go with the 170 ..................?
I live in SE PA. When I had the 170 t-stat back in February of 2007 I got the P0128 (thermostat rationality) diagnostic trouble code almost every morning on my way to work. Despite being able to clear it with the Predator (on a nearly daily basis it was a drag) I changed to the 180 t-stat, along with running a 6" wide air baffle across the front of the A/C condenser once the overnight air temperatures started to go below freezing to restrict some of the air flow through the radiator.
"Works for me."

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well I just installed the 170 stat but only plan on running till the winter mos . I went with silver06hemic settings of 182/192 fan settings . so far its running fine . but its only 70deg out. Seems to average just cruising 2-3 clicks off of 170. Guessing that's running about 175ish..? I'm sure on those 90 deg days it will creep up a little higher even .

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Yeah it will, mine does, rolling on a hot day I see in 176-179... in traffic on a slow roll I run 180-185... stop and go I get a little fan cycling...same fans for 6 years though and no burnouts on them... :)

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Does Advance Auto sell a 170-180 tstat? They sell the Jet but it's shipping only and I prefer to buy from AA as they are close and always have discount codes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts