Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Surely it would be a lot cheaper to buy a CRD & have it converted yourself?
Maybe MichaelR can chime in??

I was under the impression it was around $100k purchased, shipped, converted & returned.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you wanted to start operating straight away its not so bad or you could save a few thousand and wait 6 months to get one converted
Thats six months of work you could have done

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It's been on the market for a while, must be getting a bit desparate, he's dropped $20K.

I don't know why these things cost so much over here in Aussie, you can buy a brand new one in the states for about $75K, that makes for a hell of a lot of shipping costs and taxes.

Even if you started with a brand new one from here you should only be looking ar around $100K plus shipping and taxes.

Someone is making a killing somewhere in the supply chain.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As I said in another thread Ausie cars are not suposed to be the same. Add shipping insurance etc to the equasion just for one car at a time & what do you get risky businss to save what. If it is to good to be true it usually isn't true or not as good as you thought.I could be wrong but **** happens.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
I had a friend's wedding back at easter time, they hired a black CRD limousine. I asked the driver & he said it set him back around the 100 mark. He purchased the vehicle, had it shipped to California & returned.

Maybe he was pulling my leg??

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had a friend's wedding back at easter time, they hired a black CRD limousine. I asked the driver & he said it set him back around the 100 mark. He purchased the vehicle, had it shipped to California & returned.

Maybe he was pulling my leg??
Hows ya leg Phil?

add another 80k or so and then it would sound about right

Cant believe those Limo Drivers can we ?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Stretch 300C's for sale - Oct 08 delivery

CPCC0063 2008 Chrysler300C Diesel 3550 12inc Driver White Oct 2008
CPCC0064 2008 Chrysler300C Diesel 3550 12inc Driver Champagne Oct 2008
CPCC0065 2008 Chrysler300C Diesel 3550 12inc Driver Bright Silver Oct 2008
CPCC0066 2008 Chrysler300C Diesel 3550 12inc Driver Black/Silver Oct 2008

Royal Coach Builders Australia - Formely Central Park Custom Coach - Perth -* Western Australia - Chrysler 300C - Holden Statesman - Holden Caprice - HSV Grange - H2 Hummer Limo - Mercedes Sprinter Limovan

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Surely it would be a lot cheaper to buy a CRD & have it converted yourself?
Maybe MichaelR can chime in??

I was under the impression it was around $100k purchased, shipped, converted & returned.
I did the Maths on it:

Option A - buy a left hand drive limo in the States
$70,000 for limo
$30,000 customs and luxury car tax
$20,000 conversion to right hand drive
$ 5,000 freight home
$10,000 compliance testing
$5,000 organising costs, ie airfares, hotels, etc
$140,000 total

Option B - buy your car here and send over.
$55000 - CRD
$ 4000 - Freight Over
$40000 - Turning it into a Limo
$5,000 organising costs, ie airfares, hotels, etc
$ 5000 - Freight Back (its longer)
$15000 - customers and luxury car tax on improvements
$ 5000 - Compliance testing
$129,000 total

Option C - Let our Limo Building Companies do everything from whoa to goa!
$180,000 - CRD fully decked out.

Now I chose to spend the extra on Option C and this is why.

Option C will give me a limo that is fully compliant nationally as and 12 seater.
Option B and C have compliance issues because all engineering modifications have to be signed off by a Engineer authorised by Vic Roads and this is where the problem lays.

The engineer has to inspect the vehicle during the conversion and sign off on the quality of the modifications. The only engineers authorise and interested in limos are the limo building companies who will not sign off limos that they are not building.

Now for me it comes down to risk.
Do you want to spend $180k on a car that will be compliant and built to Australian standards or do you spend $50k less and chance that your car will be compliant and registered in Victoria?

The only question that remains is how do others do it?
The answer is some of the limousines that went over to the USA registered as 5 seaters and are still driving around Victoria as 5 seaters because no one will sign of on their compliance. Will they get caught? All I can say is they all ring up the proper limo building companies begging for compliance only to be knocked back while the proper limo building companies are maintaining their good relationships with Vic Roads to ensure all their compliancing needs are met.

In any case an extra $50k is nothing when your getting $1150 for 4 hours work.

BTW - that limo for sale for $199k was going for $214k at the time I did the deal on mine.

BTW - I am still looking for tour guides for my Leso Tour Nights!

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Very interesting read Michael.
Now to business.
Do the tour guides your advertising for sit in the back with the lesos while you drive?

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Very interesting read Michael.
Now to business.
Do the tour guides your advertising for sit in the back with the lesos while you drive?
Tour Guide Postion Description

Drive Car while keeping the limo owner who is entertaining in the back well informed of changing traffic conditions (he likes to make use of any extra time available or conversely likes to get his kit back on in time for arrival)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Tour Guide Postion Description

Drive Car while keeping the limo owner who is entertaining in the back well informed of changing traffic conditions (he likes to make use of any extra time available or conversely likes to get his kit back on in time for arrival)

Re your Lesso Tours
Will you be legal having the necessary Licker licences ?

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Very informative Michael. Explains why some of the limo's are getting around on tyres with incorrect load ratings!
Hell of a lot less mucking around for the $50k. Also means you can be working whilst it's in the build process.. rather than travelling, making phone calls, organising freight etc.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Might be laws on engine displacement over here? I've seen 3.5's & CRD's, but yet to see a hemi.
I would say its all an economy choice Phil

Most of the Na to Au Fords were 6 cly versions but there was a handfull of 8s around All the Ford stretches that I had were the 6 cly model and they were good enough for what I needed them for, except on a 38 degree day going up Mt Dandenong with 10 bodys on board,,,LPG DOH!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts