Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep an eye out for them @ krc performance. They made a post over on dodge talk showing some testing and tuning they have done.

"The base line back to back on the 2.7L Charger averaged 130 rear wheel and 124tq, thats right, 124. That is with 22" rims though.
If you caught the other thread, I installed a STS Turbo rear mount system, oil cooler assy and dynode with no programming and 2.5lbs boost at 165hp/ 185tq 12.1 AFR.

I changed the wastegate spring out and installed 28lb injectors. The car dynoed at 3.5lbs of boost, 11.7 AFR and 195rw with 230ft lbs. Blew the doors off a 3.5 HO Charger with it by 3 car lengths. At 5 psi, the car will hit 220rw and 260ft lbs. Here is a dyno run from todays work. This is an awesome way for you V-6 guys to make power yet keep the 28-30mpg figures. The HO v-6 can hit 300 rear wheel easily. We install the and tune the kit for $5499."

I wouldn't mind getting 300+ rwhp from my car! :smashfrea

·
Registered
204 Posts
2.5-5psi is hardly worth boosting a vehicle. Rear mount systems are horrible ideas IMO. Too much charge piping, too much oil feed lines, too much drain lines and the fact that you have to use an oil pump to bring the oil back to the motor......

Would be nice to get more power out of the 3.5 though. These cars are turds.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.5-5psi is hardly worth boosting a vehicle. Rear mount systems are horrible ideas IMO. Too much charge piping, too much oil feed lines, too much drain lines and the fact that you have to use an oil pump to bring the oil back to the motor......

Would be nice to get more power out of the 3.5 though. These cars are turds.

Mind you that 2.5psi was w/o tuning and still managed a 27% increase in power.

When bumped up to 3.5psi the car saw a 50% gain.

Those are impressive numbers IMO.

The cost for it may be high but that price I posted from the other forum is including install and tuning.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I hate to be mean but get an srt8 and mod it. I mean come on stock we kick those numbers' butts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I hate to be mean but get an srt8 and mod it. I mean come on stock we kick those numbers' butts
Agreed. This turbo kit is over $5k and the car is still not going to compete with an SRT8. Not to mention how reliable this setup is going to be and how long the V6 can handle the boost. I'm guessing these motors come with cast pistons and an open deck?

It's not hard to get big % gains from a motor that's putting out such a small amount of power. When you start with nothing it's easy to gain big percentages. I've owned Hondas that came with ~120hp that produced around ~300whp boosted with a $1000 turbo kit. That's about a 150% gain.

Not trying to knock it, but that kit is about 25% of what I paid for my car and it's still not going to push a 3800lb sled down the 1/4 very fast.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Props for being one of the only v6 turbo's out there. Don't let these people talk you down. Keep it going....

I don't recall you comparing it to an hemi, so why is everyone comparing it? You guys are silly.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Props for being one of the only v6 turbo's out there. Don't let these people talk you down. Keep it going....

I don't recall you comparing it to an hemi, so why is everyone comparing it? You guys are silly.

It's not his car and we're not trying to talk him down. Just being realistic about spending over $5k in performance mods to a V6 in a ~3800lb car. If you're going to spend that kind of cash on a performace mod, you should have started with a better platform IMO.

It would be fun to have a boosted 300, but for that kind of money I'll stick to my economy car theme and save myself the money.

This is just my opinion and I'm entitled to it just as much as the next guy.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i have a couple views on this.

1. reason some folks get the V6 is price, monthly payment. not that they dont have money in the bank, they may just not want the payment. so if they wanna spend $5000 on a turbo, i'd say go for it. maybe at the time they bought it, money was a lil tighter and now it's not but they dont want to have to go through the process of finding another car.

2. turbo kit has to come out sooner or later, they always do. $5,000 is a lot, but it's one of the first, so the cost is expected in my opinion.

3. Honda's motors have been around for a long time, volume and inexpensive parts have made for less expensive mods, even turbos.

4. there is no need to compare these to the hemi. we are all in the same family here.:grouphug:

5. there's ALWAYS a reason to add power.:biggrin:

bottom line, it's not my car and it's none of my business, do what you want to it, but do your research and dont blow your motor, the V6 motors were not designed to be powerful, they were designed to be economic.

·
Registered
566 Posts
i have a couple views on this.

1. reason some folks get the V6 is price, monthly payment. not that they dont have money in the bank, they may just not want the payment. so if they wanna spend $5000 on a turbo, i'd say go for it. maybe at the time they bought it, money was a lil tighter and now it's not but they dont want to have to go through the process of finding another car.

2. turbo kit has to come out sooner or later, they always do. $5,000 is a lot, but it's one of the first, so the cost is expected in my opinion.

3. Honda's motors have been around for a long time, volume and inexpensive parts have made for less expensive mods, even turbos.

4. there is no need to compare these to the hemi. we are all in the same family here.:grouphug:

5. there's ALWAYS a reason to add power.:biggrin:

bottom line, it's not my car and it's none of my business, do what you want to it, but do your research and dont blow your motor, the V6 motors were not designed to be powerful, they were designed to be economic.
Some good points, well put.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Just so you know, the ONLY thing on your average turbo kit that ISN'T universal is the manifold.Everything else, including the turbo IS universal so the cost has nothing to do with the type of vehicle it's being installed on.

This "rear mount" system is probably using the stock exhaust manifolds so in reality, it should be cheaper. I'm just wondering what they're using for fuel management?

I'm guessing the shop charged an arm and a leg to "tune" and install the system and that's why the price is so high.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just so you know, the ONLY thing on your average turbo kit that ISN'T universal is the manifold.Everything else, including the turbo IS universal so the cost has nothing to do with the type of vehicle it's being installed on.

This "rear mount" system is probably using the stock exhaust manifolds so in reality, it should be cheaper. I'm just wondering what they're using for fuel management?

I'm guessing the shop charged an arm and a leg to "tune" and install the system and that's why the price is so high.

Im sure they did some sort of custom FMU tuning and bigger injectors.

As far as price goes im sure its determined by volume as well. I don't think there planning to sell as many of these as they would for a hemi. Still its cheaper then a motor swap to a 5.7, and its cheaper then trading in for another car.

But it is nice to get hemi-esque horsepower and at the same time get double the mpg and lower insurance payments because of the v6

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

yeah thats true

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I understand the point of most guys saying "just buy an SRT8", but
the plain fact is there is at least a $20K US difference in price between the two.

So for an extra $5K, why not at least have the option?

There's still at least $15K difference, plus the mileage and insurance
cost differential.

If you were to do any mods beyond that, the cost differential would swing
toward at least getting a 300C 5.7 instead of buying a 2.7 and modding.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Just an FYI.....

The 2.7 Liter is a time bomb in bone stock OEM form.. A turbo is going to turn one into a super gernade in no time flat!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I agree with a few of the guys here, The reason i have my 3.5l V6 is the fuel economy, and I say instead of instead of paying $5k+ for turbo, Might as well get the 5.7 HEMI, It's almost in the same price range.

And if you really want the performance then save up and get the SRT.... all that beast needs is the CAI & exhaust system......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow im interested in getting more power from my limited also. I know alot of you are going to tell me get a 300c or a srt8 if you want performance, but i bought my 2007 300 limited when i had just turned 20, and im still young so just out right buying another 300 is not an option. Just a lil boost for me is good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts