Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With $20 of 3" PVC from Home Depot and 2 hours of free time, I made my Mopar CAI more of a true CAI. I enabled air to come from the vent next to the driver's side fog light up to the Mopar CAI.

I cut the three way piece so that it looked like a kirby vacuum head, and I placed that behind the vent. I glued the small piece of PVC into the elbow, slipped it into the 3.5" hole where the factory intake connected to the air bladder, and secured it with a hose clamp. I then cut and glued the other connecting piece into place. I lucked out with the fitting not being loose and sloppy, because I got it wedged into place very tight. Waalaa, cold air now directed right at Mopar CAI.

(If I used meth, my car would be in serious trouble.)

[/IMG]

·
Registered
362 Posts
thats not a bad idea.....do you feel an increase in power, or better response since this mod? im still contimplating between the volant or mopar intake, as i have not heard any of them in person.
am i correct in saying that with the volant intake, you do not have to do this mod, as essentially they provide you with new tubing for air intake (the problem that many people have complained about not fitting right)?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Nice pics Goose

Mopar CAI is the best. Have you run any performance tests with this new piping?

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Easy E said:
With $20 of 3" PVC from Home Depot and 2 hours of free time, I made my Mopar CAI more of a true CAI. I enabled air to come from the vent next to the driver's side fog light up to the Mopar CAI.

I cut the three way piece so that it looked like a kirby vacuum head, and I placed that behind the vent. I glued the small piece of PVC into the elbow, slipped it into the 3.5" hole where the factory intake connected to the air bladder, and secured it with a hose clamp. I then cut and glued the other connecting piece into place. I lucked out with the fitting not being loose and sloppy, because I got it wedged into place very tight. Waalaa, cold air now directed right at Mopar CAI.

(If I used meth, my car would be in serious trouble.)

[/IMG]

No doubt it works...I know people use it, in fact I know someone that does, but for god's sakes man this is a luxury car not an '88 Camaro....At least you used black PVC though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
vvv90 said:
No doubt it works...I know people use it, in fact I know someone that does, but for god's sakes man this is a luxury car not an '88 Camaro....At least you used black PVC though.
I resent that remark. I have a 91 camaro that's being restored to near show quality but will be driven almost daily. A PVC CAI is definatly low budget for such a car but if it works, works well, and is durable, WTF is Mopar's product so over-priced? Last time I checked a CAI is pretty much a CAI and gains between them are not even measurable. More power to you for running a sewer pipe at your engines intake :wave: . I'd do the same thing if you had complete pictures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Goose said:
Can we see a picture installed?
There isn't much to see, but here are the pictures that were asked for.

The upper opening is below the Mopar air filter, it fits perfectly in the existing hole left after removing the air silencer.

The "scoop" could have been fabricated better. You can see it is uneven and has rough edges if you get on your hands and knees and put your head down by the fog light.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vvv90 said:
I love my 300C, but I wouldn't call a $35K car a "luxury car."

Since I've never had the car dyno'd, I wouldn't know if it provides any real benefit. But ya'll gotta quit breakin my balls. You can't deny that it allows cooler air to get to the filter, you can't really see it, and it only cost me $20 and a couple of hours. :wave:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Easy E said:
I love my 300C, but I wouldn't call a $35K car a "luxury car."
Since I've never had the car dyno'd, I wouldn't know if it provides any real benefit. But ya'll gotta quit breakin my balls. You can't deny that it allows cooler air to get to the filter, you can't really see it, and it only cost me $20 and a couple of hours. :wave:
Don't pay any attention to those people,
I applaud you for making your own
I basically did the same,but used flexable tubing from PepBoys= $24.00

·
Registered
170 Posts
JustForFun said:
Ghetto-fabulous!!!

JFF:D
LOL! Come on, you've spent big bucks on your C and this is the best you can come up with? I mean really, it is 2005...are you making minimum wage working at a gas station?

At least use flexible tubing so you don't get vibration noise when the hard plastic starts to loosen up. Something also to pick up at Home Depot is some small chicken wire to make that new hole by the fog light look spiffy!

Really though, this is Ghetto-fabulous! :crackhead

·
Registered
154 Posts
Scarbrs said:
E

How does the T work in.
Looks like he cut the long end of the "T" off to create a "Y" shaped funnel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scarbrs, Deep Lava got it. The long tube of the "T" was cut in half to make a scoop.

Sorbs, its a shame that someone's creativity can offend you, push you to poke fun, and call them a "Crackhead." I haven't smoked crack in almost 48 hours, errr, uhhh, I mean I've never smoked crack! And for your information, my boss at the gas station said he might give me a raise to $7.50/hr this year. :fing26:

The Creation...It works, its nearly impossible to see, and it does not rattle. And as far as I know, there is nothing like it on the market. (What do you bet one comes out soon?) The Volant is as close as it gets. I think you're just jealous you don't have one. Go ride your R1 and get over it. :banana:

Skynite, Water shouldn't be a problem. If I drove in water deep enough to get into the lower opening of the pipe, the intake would pull air from the engine compartment. Any spray or mist of water going up the pipe would be filtered.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts