Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! i am brand new to this forum as i just purchased a 2005 300 in mint condition today. it's really a beautiful car and i look forward to participating on this forum!

i was kind of reading the stickies and whatever and couldn't find anything that addressed my problem. although i'm sure it's been asked somewhere but i'm unable to locate adequate information. anyways, i have a high-end aftermarket single-din unit (pioneer DEH7800MP) that i'd like to swap with the factory radio. I thought it might be as simple as plugging the wiring harness in/putting a dash kit in, but the guys at the audio shop were giving me some questionable opinions when i went for the dash kit, which is all i really need.

my car has the boston acoustics package. i don't know if it has a sub (doesn't sound like it) but it does have a center speaker on the dash. i know it has a stock amp (also doesn't sound like it, but the car is 9 years old ehh)

at first, they (at the car audio shop) told me that to swap out the headunit, i would need to re-wire all of the speakers or i'd get "really strange impedences" from my speakers. after a little bit of conversation, they changed this to something along the lines of i need to buy a 300 dollar wiring harness as opposed to the good old chrysler harness i used in my sebring in order to retain the "digital signal" to the amp. they told me if the radio stays on when i turn the key out (it does) then it's more complicated than plug-n-play. the internet told me this is only a concern if the ENGINE stays on after you turn the key. this doesn't seem logical but it is indeed what i read on the internet.

the main thing they tried to tell me is that the remote power for the amp is some fancy "blue and white wire" that is different than the normal black onandoff thing. the wiring harness has a pin for a blue and white wire. they also said i would lose my chimes and so-on. which can be solved with an extra part afaik.

I haven't pulled off the bezel yet to look at the stereo wiring on the car, nor am i an expert, but my questions are this:

-how complicated is changing a headunit in these cars?
-can i just plug-n-play with my pioneer DEH7800MP? i am stubborn and don't want to believe the shop.
-will i lose the steering wheel controls?
-will i damage anything (amp etc) by using my old standard chrysler wiring harness? even if just to test it for a few minutes and see what works and what doesn't?

thanks in advance for your answers guys. really looking forward to tuning this system with a 16 band eq and all the delicious audio settings that my pioneer has.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Sounds like you got a mix of right and wrong.

Replacing the head unit is quite simple assuming you use the correct parts.

Unfortunately it is true, you can't really use any old chrysler harness, but it has nothing to do with the amp. Simply put there is no acc wire in the harness. A lot of the signaling is done via can-bus. So to do it right you need to use a compatible harness. Last I checked they do not cost $300 (never have so the shop is wrong).

Some here have gone with no harness and hard wired things using an alternate acc power source. I can't recommend this as I like to do things the right way.

Look up PAC RP4-CH11. That's the harness I'd recommend using.

Second, there are 2 flavors of Boston Acoustics systems in these cars, 6 speaker and 8 speaker. You should figure out which you have. It won't be obvious by looking because every 300 has 3 grilles in the dash. It's easy enought to pry the grille in the dash up with a thin tool. If you see no center speaker in the dash chances are you have the 6 speaker Boston system.

My opinion and only mine : I would listen to the shop and run new speaker connections. However I would only do this if adding my own new amplifiers.
IMO the stock amp is the biggest bottleneck to having good sound in the Gen I cars. It's because the amp has the built-in filtering and fader control (via can-bus ). The dash gets 100hz and up. Doors 100hz and down. The rears are full range unless you have the 8 speaker system, which means the are high passed like the dash. The Boston systems are competent as stock systems go, but again IMO they don't sound as good when mixed with aftermarket.

To get around this you would need to bypass the amp, meaning you would need to run speaker wires as needed. Yes you can use the stock wiring (I connected to the speaker outs from the amp.)

Since I don't know your taste in music I'll just advise you to start first adding you pioneer and go from there. If you think it needs to sound better (I think you will), then consider speakers and amps next.

And yes the wiring harness adapter costs a bit more (not anywhere near $300) but I advise you to use it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used the RP4-CH11 recently. I paid 92 dollars for it. It works really well. not overly complicated to install. you could even use it to remote your after market amps as well. not sure if youll need all the extra features of the crux linked above. but a quick search showed them around 180 dollars.. Good luck with the conversion. Be sure to let us know how it all sounds.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I used this set, contains everything you need except for the radio itself :)

Car Radio Stereo CD Player Dash Install Mounting Trim Bezel Panel Kit Harness | eBay

Works like a charm. Installation is quite simple.

Also (and that was important to me) the dash kit is compatible with single din (I had a single laying around) and double din (gonna buy it later)
Yep, this will work perfectly as the wiring adapter included is the RP4-CH11. And as you mentioned, it includes everything you need for a single din install.

I used something very similar myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used this set, contains everything you need except for the radio itself :)

Works like a charm. Installation is quite simple.

Also (and that was important to me) the dash kit is compatible with single din (I had a single laying around) and double din (gonna buy it later)
hey thanks for the reply!
this is the kit i'll probably go with. this will allow me to keep the factory amp as well?

are there any guides online on how to install these puppies? i'm seeing things like, wiring a new fuse in the fuse box and stuff. not sure if i should be doing that. the head unit i have (pioneer deh-7800mp) has an in-line fuse already?

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey thanks for the reply!
this is the kit i'll probably go with. this will allow me to keep the factory amp as well?

are there any guides online on how to install these puppies? i'm seeing things like, wiring a new fuse in the fuse box and stuff. not sure if i should be doing that. the head unit i have (pioneer deh-7800mp) has an in-line fuse already?
Yes, you'll keep the factory amp. There's no need to rewire anything. Just pop off the center bezel, remove the factory radio, plug in the kit and the new radio and go-go-go :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts