Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Christmas Eve I was driving down the highway doing about 75 and my windshield wipers came on out of nowhere with a vengeance. I didn’t even know they could move as fast as they were going. As I’m pulling on to the shoulder of the highway I start seeing smoke coming from my gauge cluster. By the time I got the car stopped and my wife calm, the smoke was really rolling out. So I pulled the radio bezel off and saw the smoke coming from the back of my gauge cluster and shortly after saw the flames. I didn’t have a fire extinguisher so I popped the trunk and ripped the battery out and ttook our everything in my trunk I didn’t want to lose, sub, jack, and amp. Well after talking with the insurance company for the past month I get to keep the car and get back almost 11k. My car is number 43 or 44. 2005 300c srt8 with roughly 73k miles on it. The damage is the whole dash, both front seats (water damage), all electronics on the dash, all the wires for the dash, headliner, windshield, passenger window, and door panels. I’m wondering what it will take to get her fixed up. I’m really wanting to do aluminum door panels, racing seats in the front, and custom gauges. Does anyone have any input on where to get wire harnesses from and other parts like that?

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Wow! Absolutely sucks. What about going to an auto wrecker and getting parts of an 06? Pretty sure after all these years they'd have a few seeing as over 10,000+ were built for 06. the 2005 didn't come with TPMS and rear seat DVD, but other than that everything should work IMO.

Bernie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I’m going to try that I’m hoping that someone may have some experience with this. Also I hope this doesn’t happen to anyone else.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Well Boz, I can tell you that after 15 years I've never seen this happen before that's been reported on a forum at least.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Dang, never seen anything like this

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no clue what caused it. I’ve gotten the car back and will start taking out the interior and see what’s salvageable and what’s not. I’m hoping that I can find a rolled or totaled 300c srt8 to use as a donor car for the electrical. My engine bay is untouched and I think majority of the damage is on the drive side of the dash.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Can you explain what we're looking at in the pic? Is this your car currently or a doner car?

Bernie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m sorry. I thought it typed out what I had typed. This is my car after a few hours of gutting and vacuuming water out.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Oh OK then. At least it's progress.

Bernie

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Finally got the dash completely removed. Once the debris and trash is cleaned out I can clean the inside of the carZ then I’ll be putting a dash and headliner in from a pull-a-part (junk yard) car. Since nothing under my hood was damaged I think my computer is still good. Hopefully the interior computers from the donor car will work well enough to limp to a dealer to get reflashed. Ill be using some junk yard seats until I figure out which seats to go with permanently. Hopefully she will be roadworthy by the end of May 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Good luck! At least you have something to do during these times.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Good luck buddy, let's see it back on the road ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a dash and body wire harness with fuse box from a 2006 “limited edition” and so far so good. The only thing I’ll lose is satellite radio and my back up sensors. I got a new sunroof mounted in with the roof harness and ceiling console up and connected. I’m getting pop a lock to install a new ignition cylinder keyed to my key and hopefully I’ll be able to start her.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So today is the day. Pop a lock will be here this afternoon and my theory is that since my car was diablo tuned, And my computer wasn’t hit with direct heat or water. I didn’t have to change my wire harnesses that come from under the hood only the body harness with the fuse box in the trunk. I’m thinking if I flash my computer back to stock with my stock file in the tuner, I’ll possibly be able to skip the dealership having to reset everything. I am an armature and have never done anything like this before and I know nothing about the electrical system in the car other than it’s a nightmare. BUT since this is the 44th over all and 3rd production 300c srt8 EVER BUILT. It’s worth the shot lol. I’ll update after the locksmith leaves and I know if it starts. 🤞🏼🤞🏼

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got pop a lock out here and got my key cylinder replaced. I started checking fuses and changing fuses and before long sje started three times but only ran for a few seconds each time and shit off. Now I’m throwing 3 codes. Wrong immobilizer key and then two separate pedal position sensors. Well I don’t have my accelerator pedal in yet so that explains those two codes. My real question is, if anyone is following along this crazy story is: How do I get my car to recognize my key? I have no interior and a salvage title. So basically the car isn’t leaving my drive way. Which pieces of the car do I need to bring to a dealership for the car to recognize the key? But the gauges seem to work. My fuel tank was full when the car caught on fire and the gauge reads full. Thinking back I didn’t realize if the Rps read out while the car started briefly. I was so excited it started I stopped worrying about everything else. 😂😂😂 well I’ll be shut down for the weekend hopefully I’ll be updating it early next week with good news about the ignition.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m going to call the dealership Monday. I ordered some racing seats today with brackets and stuff so once I install that I’ll be able to bring it to the dealership and drive it home if they get my key problem fixed. I’m sure I’ll have some bug to work out but it’s going to be fun! Thanks for the website but unfortunately I only have one key. So that won’t work for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Ordered these seats along with some planted brackets for a charger. Once they come in I’ll update on their fitment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts