Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have just purchased a 2005 Chrysler 300 AWD in CAN with 200,000 KM (126,000 Miles) on odometer.

CarProof: VIN indicates: 2005 / Chrysler / 300 TOURING AWD / Sedan 4 Dr. / Canada

AutoCheck: 2005 / Chrysler / 300 Limited/Touring / Sedan 4D / 3.5L V6 MPI / Canada

Rear of vehicle only indicates 300 AWD. Vehicle has 18" alloy rims with new Firestone FR710 P225/60R18 99T tires installed. On the subjrct of rims / tires, I am wondering if 18" alloy rims with P215/55R18 94T tires installed (off a Dodge Caliber) would fit my vehicle as a 2nd set?

As I am totally new to this vehicle, I am curious as to exactly which model of 300 AWD I have and what are the features.

I see on the Yahoo Autos website (note: not allowed to post url until 4 posts under my belt)
that 8 trims for 2005 Chrysler 300 available, and based on the engine spec, my 300 would appear to be the Limited AWD:-

The vehicle appears to drive normally. Just wondering, given the current mileage, if a transmission flush would be in order. My only other comment would be that the brake pedal seems somewhat "hard" and braking performance "average". Thought the braking might perhaps be better.

The mechanic who previously serviced this vehicle indicated it had been well maintained and that to pass the next motor vehicle safety inspection (by April 30th), this vehicle only requires a front left lower ball joint and front left inner tie rod end.

Any observations on this vehicle, especially relating to the AWD system would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
If I recall correctly, the transmission should have been serviced at the 160,000 km mark so if it was well serviced, the transmission would have been done. Caliber has a different bolt circle (5 X 114.3) VS 300 (5 X 115). Offset would be okay for 300 AWD but even though the bolt circles are close, I don't think it is wise to stress the wheel studs forcing them to fit a slightly different bolt circle.

Reactions: kilburn

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. So since the current odometer 200,000 KM is well over the recommended 160,000 KM for automatic transmission flush & fluid replacement I'm hoping it should be okay. I did check with a local transmission shop and they indicated my 300 AWD with 3.5L V6 engine had a DAG? transmission that is used in Mercedes vehicles (so a good one). Since I have no previous service record they said inspection of the transmission fluid (viscosity, colour etc.) could determine if fluid had been changed as per recommended service schedule. However I was told there is no easy dip stick to check this yourself and that fluid colour would be clear rather than usual pink on our Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L which I can easily check myself.

Regarding the braking system, given the expected quality of the system - disks all around + ABS I thought it might be better, but it is certainly not bad. I was previously driving a 1991 Toyota Corolla 4WD (AllTrac) 5 speed wagon so this is a vehicle from a different era, so a bit difficult to compare.

Thank you also for the info on those Dodge Caliber alloy rims & 65% worn tires, only asking $250, I thought this might provide a good 2nd set. So although only a very subtle 0.07 mm difference in the bolt pattern, although these rims might fit on the studs, likely not a good idea.

How about that tire size P215/55R18 94T on those Dodge Caliber rims, could those tires be installed without issue on my 300 18" alloys rims which currently have the OEM P225/60R18 99T tires installed? How would they perform compared to the OEM tire?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Those 215/55 18's will fit but are about 5% smaller in diameter than the stock tires so your your speedometer will read high by 5%.

·
Administrator
19,606 Posts
If you have a + - symbol at your D transmission position then you have the NAG1 transmission.

You do need to do a transmission flush.

Those wheels will not fit.

There is no transmission dipstick on your car. It is a dealer service item only.

Braking performance can be improved with a system flush, fluid replacement and brakeline replacement.

That tire size will 1) reduce your braking performance, 2) appear to small on the car, and 3) create a small speedometer error. I would not swap in those tires unless I was in dire straits and could not afford to purchase a set.

If you would like a full "build sheet" showing all options on your car, go here:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/98275-how-my-car-equipped.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your input & tips - just starting to get to grips with this 2005 300 AWD that replaced my Toyota Corolla 4WD (All Trac) wagon. I found this vehicle on local Kijiji by just searhcing "AWD" - was not originally even considering this vehicle, but very impressed with it so far.

1) Yes, I have the +/- by the D so it is the NAG1 - is that good, I believe it is a Daimler-Benz system? I understand, haven't tried yet, that if the D lever is tapped to the side the sequential transmission can be manually engaged?

2) So with 200,000 KM I should not just assume that the transmission was already flushed/replaced at 160,000 KM (100,000 Miles) and should get it done?

3) Thanks for your advice regarding the braking system - I believe it has discs all round with ABS? It's not bad, just a bit hard on the pedal, thought it might be better - could this perhaps also be a brake master cylinder issue?

4) I just read the discussion thread on 5 x 115 versus 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern rims and am going to definitely stick with the 5 x 115 rims and P225/60R18 99T new Firestone tires that are installed on them.

5) For next motor vehicle inspection (by April 30th) the previous mechanic of this vehicle (in different city) indicated it just required front left lower ball joint and front left inner tie rod end (approx. $500 cost) - this repair was offered to previous owner by he preferred to use MOPAR parts rather than NAPA parts (AutoPro garage) - my mechanic suggested he might use Moog suspension parts. According to previous mechanic the play is very slight (I can't feel anything driving) but borderline to pass MVI - I assume that I should also do a front end alignment after those parts are changed?

Thanks again, I'm already learning a lot about my new/used (black) car, that my kids say makes me look like a gangster driving around.

·
Administrator
19,606 Posts
Thanks so much for your input & tips - just starting to get to grips with this 2005 300 AWD that replaced my Toyota Corolla 4WD (All Trac) wagon. I found this vehicle on local Kijiji by just searhcing "AWD" - was not originally even considering this vehicle, but very impressed with it so far.

1) Yes, I have the +/- by the D so it is the NAG1 - is that good, I believe it is a Daimler-Benz system? I understand, haven't tried yet, that if the D lever is tapped to the side the sequential transmission can be manually engaged?

Yes it is a good transmission. The AutoStick feature lets you engage the next higher or lower gear utilizing the shift lever. Pull towards you to shift down, push to the right to shift up. It is a Daimler system.

2) So with 200,000 KM I should not just assume that the transmission was already flushed/replaced at 160,000 KM (100,000 Miles) and should get it done?

Correct. Never assume the right thing was done by a previous owner.

3) Thanks for your advice regarding the braking system - I believe it has discs all round with ABS? It's not bad, just a bit hard on the pedal, thought it might be better - could this perhaps also be a brake master cylinder issue?

Not normally. The most common complaint is a soft, almost spongy, feeling pedal. Most would agree the firmer the pedal the better.

4) I just read the discussion thread on 5 x 115 versus 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern rims and am going to definitely stick with the 5 x 115 rims and P225/60R18 99T new Firestone tires that are installed on them.

Excellent choice. You can always change the tire size the next time you need new tires. My recommendation would be to stick with the stock size tire or possibly just a bit wider tire.

5) For next motor vehicle inspection (by April 30th) the previous mechanic of this vehicle (in different city) indicated it just required front left lower ball joint and front left inner tie rod end (approx. $500 cost) - this repair was offered to previous owner by he preferred to use MOPAR parts rather than NAPA parts (AutoPro garage) - my mechanic suggested he might use Moog suspension parts. According to previous mechanic the play is very slight (I can't feel anything driving) but borderline to pass MVI - I assume that I should also do a front end alignment after those parts are changed?

Yes, anytime a front suspension part, other than a shock absorber, is replaced, at least checking the alignment is a must. It doesn't take much to be out of specification and creating premature tire wear.

Thanks again, I'm already learning a lot about my new/used (black) car, that my kids say makes me look like a gangster driving around.
My kids like my SRT8 and the grandkids are always urging me to go faster (or turn on the VES system in the rear). :)

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I contacted the previous owner of my 2005 300 AWD and happy to say the transmission fluid was flushed and changed about a year and a half ago, which makes sense as currently 200,000 KM on odometer, so likely done around 160,000 KM as per scheduled maintenance.

On the Build report for my vehicle a 19 Gallon Fuel Tank is indicated, but later:-
YGVA - 4.5 Additional Gallons of Gas

Does this mean I have 23.5 gallon fuel tank?

Back to that rim discussion, it appears that 5 x 115 is the preferred bolt pattern for my vehicle - curious why rim websites still list the following info, mostly indicating 5 x 114.3? Are you sure I couldn't get away with 5 x 114.3 for a spare set?

Chrysler - Vehicle Bolt Pattern Reference
On these pages you can find Chrysler vehicles Bolt Pattern and Offset. This will help you in determining High or Low offset and bolt patterns of your vehicle.

Discounted Wheel Warehouse has provided this information for its customers to provide the very best service to our customers. We offer a large selection of Chrysler Wheels and Chrysler Rims also Custom wheels, Car Rims, and Truck Rims so please enjoy the web site and choose your next set of Custom Wheels from Discounted Wheel Warehouse!

YEAR MAKE MODEL Bolt Pattern
2010 Chrysler 300 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2011 Chrysler 300 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2009 Chrysler 300 AWD 5 lug 4.53 inch or 115 mm High Positive Offset
2010 Chrysler 300 AWD 5 lug 4.53 inch or 115 mm High Positive Offset
2011 Chrysler 300 AWD 5 lug 4.53 inch or 115 mm High Positive Offset
2004 Chrysler 300 C 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2005 Chrysler 300 C 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2006 Chrysler 300 C 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2007 Chrysler 300 C 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2008 Chrysler 300 C 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2009 Chrysler 300 C 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2010 Chrysler 300 C 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2011 Chrysler 300 C 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2004 Chrysler 300 C AWD 5 lug 4.5 inch or 114.3 mm High Positive Offset
2005 Chrysler 300 C AWD 5 lug 4.5 inch or 114.3 mm High Positive Offset
2006 Chrysler 300 C AWD 5 lug 4.5 inch or 114.3 mm High Positive Offset
2007 Chrysler 300 C AWD 5 lug 4.5 inch or 114.3 mm High Positive Offset
2008 Chrysler 300 C AWD 5 lug 4.5 inch or 114.3 mm High Positive Offset
2009 Chrysler 300 C AWD 5 lug 4.5 inch or 114.3 mm High Positive Offset
2010 Chrysler 300 C AWD 5 lug 4.5 inch or 114.3 mm High Positive Offset
2011 Chrysler 300 C AWD 5 lug 4.5 inch or 114.3 mm High Positive Offset
2004 Chrysler 300 Touring 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2005 Chrysler 300 Touring 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2006 Chrysler 300 Touring 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2007 Chrysler 300 Touring 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2008 Chrysler 300 Touring 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset
2009 Chrysler 300 Touring 5 lug 4.5 or 114.3mm Medium Offset

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caliber has a different bolt circle (5 X 114.3) VS 300 (5 X 115). Offset would be okay for 300 AWD but even though the bolt circles are close, I don't think it is wise to stress the wheel studs forcing them to fit a slightly different bolt circle.
I am now 2 years driving my 2005 300 AWD and it's time to get the snow tires off the factory rims. I have another set of all season tires 225/60R18 100H (General Altima HP) about half worn that I picked up for just $40 on Kijiji (off a Magnum).

Ideally I would like to leave the winter tires mounted & balanced on their rims and purchase another set to mount the all seasons for April - November driving.

My AWD 300 model with 7jx18 ET38 rim (positive offset of 38mm) and 5x115 bolt pattern will not accept the the rim of a RWD 300 model (more plentiful) with a ET16 (16mm offset).

I am considering purchasing a set of rims for $100, apparently off a Dodge Caravan (see attached photos) that could be 4x114.3 bolt pattern with a 35mm offset (close to my AWD). Still the potential "stress on the wheel studs" issue to consider.

Just wondering if these rims might work for me? Of course definitely not on if they are the later 5x127 Dodge Caravan bolt pattern.

·
Administrator
19,606 Posts
Most people that have tried the 114.3mm bolt circle wheels find that they end up scoring the lug threads when mounting them as they hang up. You eventually end up with either a scored lug, a wobbly wheel as it is hung up and now lug centric vs. hub centric (hub centric being the OEM design) or the wheel is not fully seated against the hub.

Stick with the 115mm bolt circle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your input - I realize this topic has been thrashed to death on other threads. It's just really hard to find used 115 rims with the 38mm offset necessary to fit my AWD model - more likely to find the 115's with the 16mm offset for the RWD models.

Probably I'll just be switching the all seasons onto the same set of factory rims @ $70 a pop Spring & Fall.

What do you think of those rims in the photo - are they steel or alloy as there appears to be some surface rust on them - the guy selling bought them with snow tires mounted but they wouldn't fit his vehicle, so he just installed the tires onto his rims and is now selling this set really cheap, which came off a Dodge Caravan he said.

Is it easier to put 115's onto a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern than the other way round?

·
Administrator
19,606 Posts
Yeah, I get it about finding used rims for the AWD cars. Same applies to finding a nice set of aftermarket wheels.

I can't tell for sure from the pics but those look like plated light steel wheels.

I've not tried to put a 115mm bolt circle wheel on a 114.3mm bolt circle so I can't say if it would work or not. We are talking a bit wider circle so conceivably it should work better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Probably those rims wouldn't have looked that great on the 300 anyway - just the $100 price tag was tempting, but not worth putting safety at risk by attempting it. Now if those Dodge Caravan 18" rims are off a later model they could be 5 x 127 bolt pattern anyway. For a buyer with the right vehicle they are a good deal I believe.

So what is it with the different rim offset on the AWD models vs. RWD? Is it different brake rotors?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts