Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 CTS-V vs. 2006 300C SRT-8

If some are hoping that I’m going to bash the CTS-V or have some axe to grind you can stop reading here. This will be a discussion of the finer points of each vehicle.

Amenities – The SRT-8 has everything the CTS-V has plus the following; uConnect cell phone, voice commands, bluetooth compatible, auto stick (more on this later), Sirius Satellite radio 1 year service vs. 3 months, back-up sensors, adjustable pedals, tilt and telescope with unlimited positions, steering wheel controls for just about everything. I like the layout, look and feel of the dash better in the SRT-8 as well. I do miss the V’s digital speedo, digital climate control vs. analog in the SRT, G-meter and larger NAV screen. The seats are infinitely adjustable in both and easy to find a comfortable position. The SRT is larger and feels it, especially when you’re carrying 4 adults.

Fit, Finish & Materials – Again the SRT has some very nice touches that really don’t convey with pictures. You have to feel them. The SRT seats are much nicer, with bolsters that actually hold you. Center counsel feels sturdy and substantial vs. flimsy in the V. The SRT dash layout is easy to navigate and the buttons are classy, as are the materials. The center stack overlay frankly looks like a cheap add-on though and looks out of place. The V’s buttons are not as nice, especially on the NAV system. (Which peeled twice on my V’s) The tach and speedo in the V are easier to read, especially at speed. Door panels in both cars are laughable and should not be on ANY vehicle commanding over $47,000! Carpet in the V is MUCH better, thick and lush. The SRT’s looks fresh out of a Neon. Paint on both cars shows orange peel, although subtle, it’s there. The metal flake on the Brilliant Black SRT-8 is a nice touch. Exhaust tips on the SRT look like thin aftermarket add-ons vs. the classy, though small stock V’s.

Wheels and Tires – Both Companies should be bitch slapped here. GM for using a 6 lug wheel and eliminating all hopes of an aftermarket. Chrysler for using 20” rims with only 2 choices available for replacement. Think I’m kidding? Go search 245/45/20 and 255/45/20. RSA’s and F1’s THAT’S IT! GM’s EMT’s give up the ghost at 5,000 miles. Chrysler’s mighty meats offer little grip vs. 425 ft.lbs. of torque while roasting themselves to the rims and offering no hint that they’re spinning.

Engine and Transmission – Both vehicles have done amazing things with these American V8’s. The V’s power with 3.73 gears and 6 speed is ALWAYS on. Unlimited power is available when and where you need it. The much-lamented stock shifter in the V is inexcusable. Vague and rubbery it will betray you when you’re trying hard to shift quickly. The SRT’s power is more discreet. 3.08 rear gears and a mountain of torque that just keeps pulling until you look down and can’t believe you’re doing 100 mph in 11 seconds. Ahh, behold the power of torque. The transmission does nothing to let you know you just went from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. Only the rpm changes and exhaust note give it away. Both cars are civil and quiet when needed and both can bark loudly when asked. Anyone who hasn’t driven the new generation auto-stick will be pleasantly surprised. Unlike the old system, this one will actually hold the gear up to and including your bouncing off the rev limiter. Tool down the highway at just under 60 and you can downshift into 2nd, catch rubber and launch the SRT on a highway blast. You can also shift the SRT like a manual all the time and it’s almost as rewarding as perfectly shifting the V. Almost.

Handling and Stability Control vs. ESP - The V’s four modes of ALL ON, ALL OFF, TRACTION OFF and COMPETITIVE DRIVING are superior to the SRT’s. The Competitive Mode in the V is the most confidence inspiring electrical co-pilot I’ve ever experienced. This mode will allow you to spin the wheels, get sideways (but not too sideways) and literally throw this car around. The V is also MUCH happier being tossed around a track than the SRT is. The SRT will do fine and perform at nearly the level of the V. It’s just not happy about it. The ESP is good and does a fine job of keeping you from over driving a corner and embarrassing yourself at a stoplight by literally sitting and spinning. Turn it off and you can dial in some more fun, but wait, what just happened? It’s not really all the way off. ESP is still watching and lying in wait and if it doesn’t like what the yaw sensor just felt your getting dialed back. Damn it! It’s my $47,000 car and if I want to wreck it I should damned well be allowed to. Hmph!

Price and Warranty – The Caddy’s warranty is better with 4yr/50,000 miles of worry free driving including roadside assistance. A loaner is also readily available on any service visit. The Chrysler warranty is 3yr/36,000 miles, a loaner for the first year only and roadside assistance for 3 years. We all heard the early rumors of a $39,995 SRT and I’m sure that car exists. But to option it up to the Caddy’s level you’ll be in the $46,500 range. Mine did not have the rear DVD system which adds another $1,150. You can find V’s all day long for $47,500 vs. their $51,000 msrp or should be able to by now. My SRT-8 stickered at $46,745, which I talked down to $46,245. Not my best work, but considering all the circumstances a good deal. I opted for a 4yr/100,000 mile warranty for an additional $1,500. So out the door minus TTT was $47,745. So it’s virtually a wash on price.

Final Thoughts – These really are two completely different vehicles in character, styling, power delivery, handling, etc. Comparing the two is inevitable because the performance is so close as to be negligible. The cars will be cross-shopped and the new owners loving each for completely different reasons. In fact, my guess would be that what you love about one you’d hate about the other. Ultimately I’d love to own one of each, as I don’t think either can fully satisfy every need I have in a performance sedan. For instance I can’t see taking the SRT to the track although I know I could. At times I wished the V had an automatic because the 6 speed was nearly impossible to drive smoothly. All in all they are both great cars. Drive them both and you’ll immediately know where you belong.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
cvp33,
one of the best write ups in a long time...
and I mean best in a very long time...
The point made early about it not being a CTSV bash was well placed...
and the comments were perfect..
FYI - you can access having a digital readout of mph and "other" neat little things by depressing the musci signal on the 2nd button on the left and the n with the carrot 3 button from left at the same time for 8 seconds...
and enjoy what you see...
the seat comment is right on...
I was in the saddle 3 days in a row for 10-11 hours a day, solo...
and they performed well...
I agree with the carpet...
not even tucked in some spots...
poorly done...
the paint...
well I have 18 paint defects in mine...
let's not even get into the orange peel issue...
the metal flake on the black is a nice touch...
not nice enough to get a third black car though in my life...
wheels and tires...
tire rack has our F1's at the cheapest in the country at $227.00 a tire...
couldn't agree more...
the rest of your comments are well thought out and right on...
how long have you had your car???

Hey folks,
like the PGA Tour ads...
this guys good...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cbutler,

I've had the car since Friday night and I've already racked up 1,000 miles. I broke my 300 in as I do all my cars with a very careful 500 miles. No heavy gas or brake applications and an oil change after. Then all bets are off. With some advice from other forum members I'm getting the hang of the auto-stick and learning to match the rev's, to gear to torque band. Thanks for the info' on the digital speedo. I'll be experimenting with that tonight.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post. It's excellent!
As far as paint is concerned, every Bentley, Ferrari, and other super-luxury car I've seen has the same orange peel that my 330ci had and my SRT8 has. It's hard to believe a car costing over $100 grand would have such ugly orange peel but it's true.
Changing subjects, I definitely feel when the tranny is shifting gears at WOT. I get a jolt between every one. In normal driving, though, it's pretty damn smooth. What I don't like is the incredible delay from when the lever is pressed to when the gear is actually engaged. I know this is inherent to all automatics, but it wouldn't be such a big deal if it shifted to the next gear automatically at redline like the BMWs do. Instead, in the SRT8 I get a nice halt to acceleration while it bumps off the rev-limiter. I'm sure some people might have a use for the tranny not shifting automatically at redline, but to me it would be much more beneficial to my acceleration if it just shifted. Now I have to compensate by shifting early but I don't always get it right.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Doesn't the Caddy have On-Star? I hear it's a pretty good thing to have.

I think the more proper comparo is w/the STS-V, where size of each vehicle is more comparable.

I've heard the CTS-Vs blow out their rear ends.

Also, which one is easier to mod? i like the fact that the LS2 can be had w/a screw-type Magnacharger SC. Tuning is probably a lot easier.

A smaller car will ALWAYS outhandle a bigger one. Law of physics.

·
Registered
507 Posts
teahead said:
I think the more proper comparo is w/the STS-V, where size of each vehicle is more comparable.
If a prospective buyer is looking at these two vehicles, then it is the proper comparison. I also was looking at these exact two vehicles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
teahead said:
Doesn't the Caddy have On-Star? I hear it's a pretty good thing to have.

I've heard the CTS-Vs blow out their rear ends.

Also, which one is easier to mod? i like the fact that the LS2 can be had w/a screw-type Magnacharger SC. Tuning is probably a lot easier.

A smaller car will ALWAYS outhandle a bigger one. Law of physics.
Having owned a 2004 CTS-V and a 2005 CTS-V I can tell you a few things about them.

#1 - On star is only helpful when you need to be towed in for service. This is the ONLY time I've EVER used this.

#2 - You can't compare the STS-V to the 300C because now you're looking at a $77,000 vehicle vs. a $47,000 vehicle. No one is cross-shopping these two vehicles. Trust me.

#3 - Having replaced 7 rear differentials, 2 half shafts, 2 NAV systems, 2 slave cylinders, 1 clutch, 1 pressure plate, 1 drive shaft, 1 transmission, 1 radiator, 1 PCM, 1 sunvisor and numerous bushings I can tell you that longevitiy is not their strong suit. And yes the rear differential is seriously flawed as evidence by many owners with multiple failures.

#4 - The same mod's available to the CTS-V's are available for SRT-8's. Headers, Exhaust, CAI, super chargers are all there for the asking. Although you can't get a magnuson super charger for the SRT-8, there isn't one for the LS2 (2006) CTS-V's either. Nor are there any aftermarket parts approved for the 2006, LS2 equipped CTS-V's that I know of. The 2006's will need to have fitment studies done for all the parts listed above. The 2004-05, LS6's equipped V's are another story. I also don't believe the Magnuson is a screw-type supercharger. I believe it is a conventional roots type blower.

#5 - There are far too many variables to make that statement true. For instance the CTS-V weighs 3,850 lbs. and will out handle cars weighing a thousand pounds less. For instance a 1996 Buick Skylark. If your argument is "all things being equal" than I would agree that the only variable being left would be weight and the lighter car would handle better.

·
Registered
507 Posts
cvp33 said:
#3 - Having replaced 7 rear differentials, 2 half shafts, 2 NAV systems, 2 slave cylinders, 1 clutch, 1 pressure plate, 1 drive shaft, 1 transmission, 1 radiator, 1 PCM, 1 sunvisor and numerous bushings I can tell you that longevitiy is not their strong suit. And yes the rear differential is seriously flawed as evidence by many owners with multiple failures.
Damn, dude, you must know EVERYONE by first name at the dealership! I'm sure glad I didn't get the 2005 CTS-V at the dealer down the street offering $6k under MSRP. I first test-drove this particular one last Feb or March and the exact same vehicle is still sitting there today. I went back in November to see if they would "give" it to me for $40k, and of course, they said no, so there it sits.:684:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Northern Rider said:
Great write-up, cvp33.

Both cars are a tribute to their manufacturer. It would be fun to get them together on a road course together for some hot laps.
hear hear!
I agree!
Let's get it on...
someone's CTSV and me!

man I'm on a rhyming mission right now...

maybe I should write eminem's next song and I can buy everyone their own SRT!!!

ok, on a serious note...
I ran into a guy the other day in his CTSV...
and had a lengthy disucssion much to my wife's chagrin...
and he has not blown his rear end...
drives it like he stole it...
that I have seen...
just never had the opporunity to make him green...
with envy...
said he had a 1,000 miles on it before really opening it up...
but has numberous CTSV buddies that did the opposite and grenaded rear ends like they were driving for Hendrick racing...
cvp33, you might give DanRealtor a run for his money on mileage...
he is at 19,000 in 5 months...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
330toSRT8 said:
Damn, dude, you must know EVERYONE by first name at the dealership! I'm sure glad I didn't get the 2005 CTS-V at the dealer down the street offering $6k under MSRP. I first test-drove this particular one last Feb or March and the exact same vehicle is still sitting there today. I went back in November to see if they would "give" it to me for $40k, and of course, they said no, so there it sits.:684:
The problem with the V is simple. The rear suspension geometry is such that the rear differential spools up with torque and begins to hop wildly when it loses traction. Add to this the fact that it has a two piece drive shaft that, because of it's rubber connector, actually stores kinetic energy. The resulting effect is the driveshaft unloads it's torque into the rear diff', which then loses traction, causing the hop, which in turn violently changes the pinion angle over and over again with each hop. Sooner or later all this differential case flexing and wheel hopping ruins the bushings, compromises the case and eventually causes failure. The fix would be so costly to GM they refuse to do it until a new model comes out. You'd need a solid one piece drive shaft, a solid mounted rear differential, larger rear differential carrier, upgraded half shafts and revised mounting. It's not going to happen, so they'll continue to fail.

And yes I know everyone at the dealership by first name. Every service writer, every technician and the Area Service Manager who tried to deny warrany service.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cbutler32 said:
hear hear!
cvp33, you might give DanRealtor a run for his money on mileage...
he is at 19,000 in 5 months...
I'll be somewhat under that. I drive about 30,000 miles a year. As for Hendrick, I'd prefer working for Ron Dennis. I'm more of an open wheel guy.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
cvp33 said:

Forgot to add, the CTS-V drivers look like they are sitting in the back seat when driving. The cab is so small, and with the seat all the way back (for normal drivers), you can use both windows for view.:01: If your a shorty, you look fine:biggrin:

Moose.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Moose said:
cvp33 said:

Forgot to add, the CTS-V drivers look like they are sitting in the back seat when driving. The cab is so small, and with the seat all the way back (for normal drivers), you can use both windows for view.:01: If your a shorty, you look fine:biggrin:

Moose.
You're exactly right! I like to get as far away from the airbag as possible. You know, give it enough room to do it's job. I found myself staring at my B pillar everytime I tried to pull into traffic. LOL, funny observation, but true.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome, cvp.
I'm curious to know how long your tires lasted on your V's. I was sold on that 4-door canyon carver with a vette engine a year before I bought my SRT (and, before I knew they were building them). A mix between seeing the bad reviews on the rear ends not holding up, the horrible service getting them fixed and how short the tire life was chased me away at the last moment. I'm anxious to see the next gen CTS-Vs though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
srt dryve said:
Welcome, cvp.
I'm curious to know how long your tires lasted on your V's. I was sold on that 4-door canyon carver with a vette engine a year before I bought my SRT (and, before I knew they were building them). A mix between seeing the bad reviews on the rear ends not holding up, the horrible service getting them fixed and how short the tire life was chased me away at the last moment. I'm anxious to see the next gen CTS-Vs though.
Stock GY EMT's lasted about 5,000 miles. At $1,400 a set that adds up quickly. The GS D3's were the best tires to get for that vehicle. The rear diff' problems are real and not exaggerated. I have multiple complaints filed with the NHTSA regarding this. The dealer service was awful. I finally found a great dealer but by then it was too late. In most cases I knew more about the CTS-V than the GM certified technicians. The second differential I had replaced the technician refused to add friction modifier to my diff' saying it was not a limited slip unit. After making 11 phone calls and 14 emails I finally found someone at GM who would educate this tech. The dealership finally called to tell me I needed to come in to add the friction modifier. Unfortunately that was after driving 2,000 miles. That led to differential #3.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I remember when you were looking at GTOs cvp. Your comments echo my own, I could have had a CTS-V but I didn't feel it was worth quite what GM was asking for it especially after the reviews of the V and the SRT-8. The numerous problems people are having also scared me away from them. Anyways, hopefully your Chrysler treats you better and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TriShield said:
I remember when you were looking at GTOs cvp. Your comments echo my own, I could have had a CTS-V but I didn't feel it was worth quite what GM was asking for it especially after the reviews of the V and the SRT-8. The numerous problems people are having also scared me away from them. Anyways, hopefully your Chrysler treats you better and welcome aboard.
Thanks Trishield. You've followed my progress through the last 3 years of auto lust and ownership. From GTO's, to CTS-V's to now the SRT-8. I must say I'm fairly objective when it comes to vehicles. So far the likes far outnumber the dislikes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
cvp33 said:
Thanks Trishield. You've followed my progress through the last 3 years of auto lust and ownership. From GTO's, to CTS-V's to now the SRT-8. I must say I'm fairly objective when it comes to vehicles. So far the likes far outnumber the dislikes.
I've been on a similar odessey since then. I ordered a Charger SRT-8 last September and Chrysler delivered it in December without an option I specified. I'm waiting for the dealer to get another allotment and start all over again. :sigh:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts