Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
137k miles. Front end replacement about a year old. A/C issues. I've had all the blend door issues in the past, and I've been refilling with Freon to get thru the New Orleans summers. The time has come to either sell the car or fix it. I LIKE the car. One owner, good condition, good tires, all of us know the good 300C road performance (engine). This repair entails pulling the dash and all that crap. Is it worth spending the $1500-1800 to repair? I do minor repair work, but I can't do this a/c work. I know a guy...

I'm in the market for a new car, but I intended to keep the 300C, but in the South, you need a/c.

Your opinion?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Whether to sell or keep and repair an old car is very dependent on each person’s circumstances. Of course, on this forum I think everybody would say to keep your C! If it is in good shape and the engine is good, then 137k miles is nothing. If you can afford a second vehicle, I say fix it and keep it. For me, I am a one car kind of guy and I need it to be reliable for daily commuting (before WFH that is). So I would have traded it in a long time ago either right before the 75k mark or the 100k mark. If you detach yourself from the emotion of a C, then you realize you have a 14 year old car from an unreliable mfr and it is a crap-shoot of upcoming repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Desert, you are the voice of reason and common sense. My reasoning for keeping the car and buying another is the 300C has so many nickel-and-dime things in question coupled with the new front end work and brakes, I can get personal value from it. As you indicated, if the engine is sound, the mileage is not bad. I'll post a message after the a/c repair.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What makes you think it's the evap, not under the hood somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
79, the guy that works on my car indicated over a year ago there was an evaporator leak. I've been refilling with to get thru the brutal New Orleans heat, but that solution became untenable. The mechanic, who I trust, had warned me this day was coming. He has doing some cost preventive moves thinking I would sell the car (that was my plan), but it is time to fix the whole thing or sell.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is it leaking any coolant onto the floor? Or smell like coolant inside?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some. The evaporator is shot and I'm concerned about the compressor. We had bypassed the air recycled feature as a work around a year or so ago.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ah, I see. Just double checking that the shop wasn't trying to hose you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts