Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
A couple of weeks ago my car started to show warm (above halfway on guage) while driving in town stopped at lights. When taking off again the car would start to go back to regular temp. When the car was warm I noticed the A/C air became warm as well. When temp went back to normal, then A/C air seemed cold again.

After about a week I put 3/4 of a gallon of antifreeze in radiator canister to cold fill line (i guess it was low). Same day I did that, the car decides to overflow after driving 5 miles in town. I figured I overfilled and that it would eventually stop.

Car overflowed next 2 days.

3rd day car got very close to red line on guage at night. I heard strange noises under dash area. I stopped and fluid was boiling. So I let it cool for a couple of hours and got it home (2 more miles).

Next day I noticed canister empty (I have no natural leaks). So I filled and I figured thermostat stuck shut so I removed and ran w/o thermostat.

Car runs more normal temp and it took a couple of trips of filling canister before it quit going do in level.

Yesterday car gets hot again and fluid level is normal (thermostat still out). I notice only 1 fan is running?

From what I read there are several issues ie. fan, motors, cracks, a/c switch, relays, etc.

Any ideas on this specific problem?

Fans spin freely when car is off, they make no unusual noise, no leaks when car just sitting there.

Thank you,

David

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TC300C, does this apply to regular 5.7 300C? I saw several of these posts (the pdf you attached) and it seemed applicable to SRT8 and cop cars.

Was hoping to get an answer in regards to only 1 fan running? Is that normal or an obvious red flag?

·
Registered
347 Posts
It seems the CSN is for the fan blades and not the unit. I would check first your relays, switch, and connections. It's most likely a motor being burned out.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i would do a continuity check on the suspect motor if it checks out check the relays and you can get a new motor for about $100 and both motors should come on with the a/c on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I ended up doing:

The driver fan motor wasn't working so I took that wiring and connected it to the passenger fan motor. The passenger fan motor wiring could not reach the drivers side so I left it off. I turned car on and passenger fan motor worked. This told me all the way to the end of the wiring good and driver fan motor bad.

I struggled with piecemeal vs. just buy a new complete unit. Eventually went to National Auto Parts here in Albuquerque and got a new assembly for $120. All new, 1 complete assembly w/ blades and motor. It's the good stuff too, from Taiwan....lol.

Anyways it works now and the unit that came out of the car ended up having both fan blades cracked so a matter of time before passenger side would go out.

Swap out was easy. 2 screws, and remove air cleaner. So even if the cheap replacement unit breaks again, it only takes about 30 minutes to replace. I figure I might as well try that, GM oem equipment broke anyways.

I wonder why the things that break on my car are not under recall list even though items have been recalled. I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this. Same thing happened on pick thingy shifter (recall but not for my vin).

Anyways, thanks for your help. I hope this helps someone else aswell. Don't bother with going piecemeal. Just replace the whole unit and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Did you do a postmortem on the motors?
Did you watch the new fans for proper low and high speed operation?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you do a postmortem on the motors?
Did you watch the new fans for proper low and high speed operation?
Yes I did actually. I took the fans off the motors on the bench. I powered up the drivers side bad motor and nothing (as expected). I then for some reason decided to spin the passenger motor by hand (the one that still worked) and the was a bunch of grinding happening going on inside. I wiggled the motor and tried again. Grinding happenings went away. Wiggled again, heard noised of loose stuff and grinding resistance reappeared. I was too leary of powering up that motor. I don't know why it kept working on the car but glad it did and glad it did not fly apart.

I did inspect the new motors. They seem to be 2 speed. On low they barely make any noise. On high you can hear them but quieter than the single old one that was still working.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks abqgolfer! Both fans are dead on my '06 300C so I'm getting into this today to see what I can find. This will definitely help me get it figured out. I'll check fuses, relays and sensors first and then go with your troubleshooting until I figure out what's causing this. Will let you know what I find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts