Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im a strictly pre-fuel injection mechanic and recently rebuilt my 300C when it dropped a valve ring and ate up a piston, that required a reprogramming for some reason for it to stay running;
With that being said im having heat issues and want to leave my thermostat out, will that mess with any sensors or anything? I already drive around with the dummy light on so i dont mind if it just throws that.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
im having heat issues and want to leave my thermostat out, will that mess with any sensors or anything?
Yes.

You don't describe the nature or symptoms of your "heat issues", but I wouldn't ever recommend running without a thermostat on a modern engine. You are likely to keep the car permanently in open loop mode, and you will likely develop sludging if the engine never gets hot enough to boil off moisture and other contaminants in the oil.

Conversely, you could wind up with cooling issues, as the coolant flow might be too high for it to stay in the block long enough to draw sufficient heat away to the radiator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well for anyone curious you can't run without a thermostat because the bracket that the radiator hose mounts onto and the thermostat housing dont bolt on flush enough to be water tight.
The only thing keeping coolant from spraying out at high pressure and temperatures is the rubber bushing that rings the outside of the thermostat.
I might just cut out the center of my old thermostat so i can attempt running this motor with unrestricted coolant flow.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Lol you have other issues. The Thermostat isn't the cause.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol try leaving your thermostat out and running your engine at normal temps, see if coolant leaks out.
My factory thermostat went back in with its rubber bushing back on and theres no more coolant coming out of the space between the radiator hose mount and the thermostat housing.
Next up is hollowing out the thermostat. Might just make a thread about it for anyone else with the same inquiries as me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You will eventually overheat without a Thermostat. That's what we're saying. Been there, done that. Not just on the hemi.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts