Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I was curious to see if there is a way to check the transmission fluid level without taking it to the dealer? I did have the transmission fluid flushed, etc when I had it at the shop.... and wanted to see for a piece of mind if they filled it to the correct level. What aftermarket dip stick would be the most accurate one? I know it needs to be a certain temp to get an accurate reading, but was just curious about that. I am in the process of doing some research on the AlphaOBD and am looking at getting that and the bluetooth scanner.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I was curious to see if there is a way to check the transmission fluid level without taking it to the dealer?
Yes. You can buy an aftermarket dipstick.

What aftermarket dip stick would be the most accurate one?
I wouldn't trust any of them unless and until I'd verified them. Take the car to a trusted shop and have them make sure the transmission is full, using the factory procedure. Insert your new dipstick and what is indicated at that point is the correct "full" mark, which you can "notch" to make it easier to see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got it.... now I need to look around to see if I can find a trusted shop around me. Thanks again CTCarl.... Just trying to cover all of my bases and to finally put this issue to rest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I ordered the Bluetooth OBD Scanner, and will purchase Alpha OBD when I receive the scanner... and looking forward to getting this issue I am having fixed....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got it.... I am going to see what I can find out myself and hopefully can come up with a resolution for it. I agree that they mostly want to swap parts instead of taking the time to troubleshoot the issue which i told them from the get go when I first brought it in that it happened after raining, etc.... and did tell them I believe it is a connection or wiring issue. Thanks again for all of your input into this matter.
I ordered the Bluetooth OBD Scanner, and will purchase Alpha OBD when I receive the scanner... and looking forward to getting this issue I am having fixed....
I thought I had wrote the solution to my 06 300C trouble but don't see it. I don't see how what your purchase will help you but if you end up back to drawing board. Let me know & I'll tell you how mine was resolved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Two long expensive visits to dealership. It was not fixed. I took it back & they brought in some guru. In the end... My alternator digital readout was always on the money but he put it in a live graph form and every now and then it would spike or surge for a split second. This is too fast for digital to catch. This alternator surge would kick off PCM but it would recover right away (why car would start running right away again) this also forces TCM to lose communication to PCM causing
P 0700. If left long enough to continue it will also start to ruin your battery. They had my car this year a total of 3 months b4 he found it. I did buy a bilateral communication scanner after so I could do relearns, key fobs, etc. It's nice to have if you work on a lot of cars like I do but expensive. I wrote this for you earlier. I don't know what happened to it?
Good luck, I know your frustration.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the info.... I really appreciate it.... I do need to get my battery and alternator load tested.... but dont really want to take it back to the same dealership for it... so will look for a trusted shop around here that can do the same test you got done. Thanks again for the info...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't see how what your purchase will help you
I did buy a bilateral communication scanner after so I could do relearns, key fobs, etc. It's nice to have if you work on a lot of cars like I do but expensive.
AlfaOBD is a diagnostic and configuration application for Chrysler automobiles. In addition to the functions you mentioned, it provides advanced diagnostics, including the capability to individually test hundreds of circuits and components, and can be used to make configuration changes in the BCM. It effectively provides dealer-level scantool capability for $49 plus the cost of a Bluetooth OBD adapter, which start at about $10, and will run on any Android device.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info.... I really appreciate it.... I do need to get my battery and alternator load tested.... but dont really want to take it back to the same dealership for it... so will look for a trusted shop around here that can do the same test you got done. Thanks again for the info...
Of course, no problem. People helping each other out is what forums are great for. I hope it ends your trouble. Try to remember to drop a "reply" on your results. 🤞

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Today, driving to work.... everything worked good.... no issues..... on the way home, when I started the car getting ready to leave.... after about 10 seconds.... it stalled... restarted again and left.... when I got to the stop sign at the corner getting ready to pull out.... it stalls again.... and the check engine light comes on and stays on. Good thing that truck was turning and not going straight.... I get home and get the multi meter... I know I will get a better result when I get the test done that you had BPW. The battery read around 12.7 volts when the car was not started, and after I started it... it was reading between 13.8 to 14.0.... When the car is running.... I do hear some whining noise from the alternator... and it gets louder when I accelerate. Yesterday it did cut out a few times while driving.... and the only light that I recall coming on is the "red lightning bolt" for a second, then would go off and the car would run normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Today, driving to work.... everything worked good.... no issues..... on the way home, when I started the car getting ready to leave.... after about 10 seconds.... it stalled... restarted again and left.... when I got to the stop sign at the corner getting ready to pull out.... it stalls again.... and the check engine light comes on and stays on. Good thing that truck was turning and not going straight.... I get home and get the multi meter... I know I will get a better result when I get the test done that you had BPW. The battery read around 12.7 volts when the car was not started, and after I started it... it was reading between 13.8 to 14.0.... When the car is running.... I do hear some whining noise from the alternator... and it gets louder when I accelerate. Yesterday it did cut out a few times while driving.... and the only light that I recall coming on is the "red lightning bolt" for a second, then would go off and the car would run normal.
Those days suck and can be dangerous. Lightning bolt usually refers to throttle control trouble.
I had meant to ask you...had you changed out any engine parts prior car intermittently shutting off? Several engine sensors must be replaced with ONLY Mopar items and of course in some instances, a relearn done. If not, (depending on part) you can experience the symptoms you have.
ps. after car started you were probably reading what the alternator was delivering to the battery, not the battery. You may have known that. 👍

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes they do.....The only thing that was changed out was the water pump and thermostat last year..... well before the issues started. Correct... the 2nd reading I listed was what the alternator was delivering to the battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So, same thing this morning... left for work got to the end of my street and stopped at the stop sign.... car stalled....with all of the warning lights illuminated... restarted.... drove for about a half a mile.... it cut out and came back on.....then the check engine light came on and stayed on.... then drove ok the rest of the way to work. I did the key dance at work, and no codes showed up... Today, I am going to remove and clean the throttle body and clean the electrical contacts.... and remove the PCM and clean all of the contacts on that. I should have the blue tooth scanner today or tomorrow, then will get AphaOBD and scan the car to see if I can find anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Update again.... car drove home ok.... no issues... knock on wood.... I got home and removed the throttle body.... the one side was pretty clean... the inside was pretty dirty and caked on... so I cleaned it up with throttle body cleaner.... I removed the computer... the plugs were pretty hard to get out.... checked out the connections and they looked clean, so I plugged them back in and put the computer back in.... I received the blue tooth scanner today, and getting ready to purchase AlphaOBD and scan the car to see if I can find anything else.... any pointers with AlphaOBD would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So I started using AlphaOBD, and the 2 codes that came up were P0700 and U0100.... I was just going thru the different features of it and I selected the battery voltage and was looking at the graph.. it said it should be around 13.5 or so... when running and going off of the alternator.... it would go from 13.8 down to 13.1...then back up.....then back down.. is that the normal voltage range? I always thought it should be 14 volts. Just tying to figure this out and hopefully come up with a resolution.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
So I started using AlphaOBD, and the 2 codes that came up were P0700 and U0100.... I was just going thru the different features of it and I selected the battery voltage and was looking at the graph.. it said it should be around 13.5 or so... when running and going off of the alternator.... it would go from 13.8 down to 13.1...then back up.....then back down.. is that the normal voltage range? I always thought it should be 14 volts. Just tying to figure this out and hopefully come up with a resolution.
I've forgotten what you've already tried, but if you haven't, I would have the battery and alternator load tested.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
That is going to be my next step.... I contacted a few places, but there are not appointments available for a few weeks. When they do a load test on them, how do they do it and what does it entail?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Sorry for asking so many questions, but is this something like O'reileys or Autozone can do?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts