Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
CT Carl.... on a different post, about an issue that someone had where their ground wires were getting hot... you mentioned to get a 4 gauge braided ground strap and use it to ground the engine to the firewall.... would you have any pics of where this can be placed? Or any ideas?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I do have a Standard B14G ground strap.... was looking at mounting it to the alternator and then to a bare metal spot where it would be a good grounding point like you told me about... and it looks like that grounding strap "might" be a little short.... so I was was looking for other idea of where to mount it. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
My B14G reaches from the front 13mm alternator mounting bolt to the main engine compartment grounding point with plenty of length to spare. Are you saying that you laid out the ground strap between those two points and it was too short?

Installing ground straps is not an exact science and does not require this level of research. As we've discussed previously and in some detail in this thread, pretty much any point that gives you continuity with the battery ground will work. Like most ground straps, the B14G won't reach from the alternator mounting bolt to the firewall, so if you want to use the firewall for a grounding point, you'll have to look around for a corresponding point on the engine to use.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I measured it from the alternator to pretty much where the strut tower is.... and it reached it toward the bottom but it was stretched out..... where on the main engine compartment can I mount it? I know this is alot of questions... but I know you have a lot of knowledge with this and I appreciate all of your help.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I measured it from the alternator to pretty much where the strut tower is....
My B14G reaches from the front 13mm alternator mounting bolt to the main engine compartment grounding point with plenty of length to spare. Are you saying that you laid out the ground strap between those two points and it was too short?
Is there some reason you don't want to use the main engine compartment ground? The one with all the wires sprouting from it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
If it is the one in this picture, behind the TIPM.. that is the ground stud on mine that broke and where the ground is now screwed down in a different location. If not, I am trying to picture what other location you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If it is the one in this picture, behind the TIPM.. that is the ground stud on mine that broke and where the ground is now screwed down in a different location.
That's the one.

If the strap won't reach the new ground point, you can either drill out another one, or use two other points. You just need to connect the engine to the rest of the car, via two points of your choice, verified for continuity with ground.

I like the alternator mounting bolt because removing it isn't going to cause any leaks, and the diameter is about right.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Thanks again..... I am hopefully going to have some time this weekend to try and install the ground strap to the alternator mounting bolt, etc...

I did remove and clean the MAP sensor and the connector... it is the original one from the car... and I also removed and cleaned the EGR valve connector.... that is the original one from the car also... from your experience... is there a time frame that both should be changed?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thanks again..... I am hopefully going to have some time this weekend to try and install the ground strap to the alternator mounting bolt, etc...

I did remove and clean the MAP sensor and the connector... it is the original one from the car... and I also removed and cleaned the EGR valve connector.... that is the original one from the car also... from your experience... is there a time frame that both should be changed?
To change the connectors? No.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Not the connectors, the actual parts... Map sensor and EGR valve
Not that I'm aware of. I changed the EGR valve on my '07 Daytona, but only because I had the heads off. If I suspected that either the MAP sensor or the EGR valve were bad, I'd check them with AlfaOBD or another advanced scantool before replacing them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Thanks again.... with scanning each with AlfaOBD.... what will I be looking for that would show both are good?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thanks again.... with scanning each with AlfaOBD.... what will I be looking for that would show both are good?
If you have AlfaOBD, scan for codes and check the diagnostics section to see if there's a dedicated test routine for them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I do have AlfaOBD..... I believe there is under engine in active diagnostics, it shows EGR valve control and there is an EGR system test....I believe for the MAP sensor, you can just check voltage..... I am not 100% sure though.... but, what should the voltage read?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I do have AlfaOBD..... I believe there is under engine in active diagnostics, it shows EGR valve control and there is an EGR system test....I believe for the MAP sensor, you can just check voltage..... I am not 100% sure though.... but, what should the voltage read?
Lots of good info here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I have a question about the MAP sensor..... I ordered one from Advance auto parts and was going to install today.... but it is a little big bigger than the one that is in there.... so I am going to return it... I should have just ordered from the dealer, but looking at the dealer.... my car is from Canada and the MAP sensor part number is 56028562AB.... so I look at the dealer down the streets part number and it is 68199324AB.... so I enter in my VIN number to make sure it will fit.... and it says "invalid vin".... I was going to order from Canada... but they do not ship to the US.... my question is will the MAP sensor from the dealer down the street from me fit my car?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have a question about the MAP sensor..... I ordered one from Advance auto parts and was going to install today.... but it is a little big bigger than the one that is in there.... so I am going to return it... I should have just ordered from the dealer, but looking at the dealer.... my car is from Canada and the MAP sensor part number is 56028562AB.... so I look at the dealer down the streets part number and it is 68199324AB.... so I enter in my VIN number to make sure it will fit.... and it says "invalid vin".... I was going to order from Canada... but they do not ship to the US.... my question is will the MAP sensor from the dealer down the street from me fit my car?
Camera accessory Font Cameras & optics Circle Auto part

121 - 140 of 147 Posts