Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I changed my oil(oil filter included. Went with 10w-30 royal purple) and my spark plugs. After doing this the engine started making a tapping noise, not very loud. Someone said it could be my belt, or my valves clicking due to lack of oil. Also it seemed to go away after I drive it for about a half hour. Does anyone know what this is.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Hi. I get the tapping initially on start up at times. I think it's normal and is nothing to worry about.

I'm more interested in the oil choice. I think the recommended oil is 5w-20 for the 5.7.

·
Registered
85 Posts
running a heavier motor oil will cause the lifters to tap a little. Nothing bad will happen, if you can deal with the noise the motor will be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be moving the car to a a really cold place in a few months, so I figure I would need it. Have you tried anything to get rid of the noise.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
^^^^especially for for MDS system^^^^

·
Registered
298 Posts
So the other day I changed my oil(oil filter included. Went with 10w-30 royal purple) and my spark plugs. After doing this the engine started making a tapping noise, not very loud. Someone said it could be my belt, or my valves clicking due to lack of oil. Also it seemed to go away after I drive it for about a half hour. Does anyone know what this is.
Id redo the oil. I live in South Dakota where it will be -35 in the winter and i run the recommended 5W-20 with no problems. So you will be fine. If you dont have 5W-20 the MDS wont work. So you will just get bad gas mileage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
100% agreement with bigd's300c, therealfleen, and trip3ace. I run 5w30 Mobil 1 full synthetic in all my vehicles. IMPO Royale Purple Oil is completely over rated. After running it over 500miles it's almost black when you check it, again this is just my opinion. But I would definitely drop the 10w30 and run either 5w20 or 5w30 in a full synthetic. Hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you want to go heavyer in the 5.7 then 5-30 is all you can go thicker without a CEL for incorrect oil in cold weather. 10-30 or thicker will cause a CEL. I GO 5-20 WINTER , 5-30 SUMMER with no CEL and mild lifter tick which is not unusual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts