Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Chrysler lately has been acting up. Sometimes at a stop, the transmission doesn't shift to a lower gear. Taking off is slow cause the gear is like frozen in a higher gear. After I pull over, shut down & restart, problem is sliced. I sent out the TCM, it was repaired from a " clearsum " code. Still had the problem. I sent out the ecm for possible repair, it came back with no issues. I not a rich guy, & would like to fix the problem myself, if I can find the problem. Any suggestions ???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome! Stop firing the 'parts cannon' at the car. Foolish and expensive. You provided little in the way of info, such as year, model, engine and transmission, RWD or AWD, mileage, history, pretty much everything except we know its apparently a Chrysler. An honest, qualified technician who knows these cars is your best bet.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Welcome! Stop firing the 'parts cannon' at the car. Foolish and expensive. You provided little in the way of info, such as year, model, engine and transmission, RWD or AWD, mileage, history, pretty much everything except we know its apparently a Chrysler. An honest, qualified technician who knows these cars is your best bet. View attachment 176636
Umm...it's a 2006 300C with a 5.7, which means that it's a NAG1 5-speed.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My Chrysler lately has been acting up. Sometimes at a stop, the transmission doesn't shift to a lower gear. Taking off is slow cause the gear is like frozen in a higher gear. After I pull over, shut down & restart, problem is sliced. I sent out the TCM, it was repaired from a " clearsum " code. Still had the problem. I sent out the ecm for possible repair, it came back with no issues. I not a rich guy, & would like to fix the problem myself, if I can find the problem. Any suggestions ???
I'm not sure what "sliced" means, but at least it sounds like you should have a known good working TCM now, so that's a plus.

The NAG1 is very sensitive to fluid level and quality. On early LXs like yours, the dipstick tube o-ring tends to fail, allowing water to run into the transmission. I think if it were me, I'd check the dipstick tube for signs of water intrusion. If you find any, do a complete fluid and filter change and replace the o-ring.

I'd also scan for DTCs with an advanced scantool like AlfaOBD or DiagFCA. There's a good chance that you need a new conductor plate, but I'd want to find out if there are any codes that you haven't seen yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure what "sliced" means, but at least it sounds like you should have a known good working TCM now, so that's a plus.

The NAG1 is very sensitive to fluid level and quality. On early LXs like yours, the dipstick tube o-ring tends to fail, allowing water to run into the transmission. I think if it were me, I'd check the dipstick tube for signs of water intrusion. If you find any, do a complete fluid and filter change and replace the o-ring.

I'd also scan for DTCs with an advanced scantool like AlfaOBD or DiagFCA. There's a good chance that you need a new conductor plate, but I'd want to find out if there are any codes that you haven't seen yet.
Thank you for your fast answer! OBDLINK-MX+ OBD2. BLUETOOTH. Is this the tool I should buy ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Sorry, sliced meant solved. After pulling over & shutting down & restarting, the problem is usually gone. Also, was thinking about maybe the transmission plug ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My older 2000 model had two transmission sensors that were installed under the car and you could unscrew them easily and replace them. Also, fluid should be real Mopar fluid and the right grade like type 4 or 5.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My older 2000 model had two transmission sensors that were installed under the car and you could unscrew them easily and replace them. Also, fluid should be real Mopar fluid and the right grade like type 4 or 5.
I didn't realize Chrysler even had any rear-wheel-drive passenger cars in 2000. Which one did you drive that had a Mercedes NAG1 transmission like the OP's?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't realize Chrysler even had any rear-wheel-drive passenger cars in 2000. Which one did you drive that had a Mercedes NAG1 transmission like the OP's?
I own a Chrysler 300c 5.7L, rwd with a nag transmission

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem

1 - 20 of 21 Posts