Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
14,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of this has been seen a million times, but it's dated today.

2006 Chrysler 300c SRT8: Momentum Continues, With A Dose Of SRT Performance And 6.1-Liter HEMI® Power

Auburn Hills, Mich., Sep 1, 2005 -

Ultimate American sedan performance
Builds on momentum of Chrysler, HEMI and Street and Racing Technology
SRT performance: 0-60 mph in low-five-second range, 0-100-0 in mid-16-second range

It wasn't long after the debut of the HEMI®-powered Chrysler C300 in 1955 that it became known as the "banker's hot rod." The key characteristics of that car-a powerful HEMI V-8 engine, performance-tuned ride and handling and premium amenities-are also key to the 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8. And, there's quite a bit more.

Introduced in 2005, the Chrysler 300C SRT8 was the first Street and Racing Technology (SRT) vehicle to be powered with the 6.1-liter HEMI V-8, which offers 85 more horsepower-25 percent more power-than the 5.7-liter HEMI. But SRT performance is more than just straight-line quickness.

"There's no other premium sedan that delivers the comfort, convenience and performance numbers that the 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 delivers," said Jeff Bell, Vice President-Chrysler Marketing, Chrysler Group. "In terms of affordability, no one else even comes close to delivering the Chrysler 300C SRT8's combination of performance and value."

"The 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 is a complete package for the customer who wants awesome performance in an award-winning sedan loaded with comfort and style," said Dan Knott, Director-Street and Racing Technology. "With its SRT-engineered 6.1-liter HEMI engine and Brembo brakes, it's engineered for incredible acceleration and stopping power."

For 2006, the Chrysler 300C SRT8 is available in a new Silver Steel exterior color. Also new for 2006 are a standard tire pressure monitoring system, an available Kicker® high-performance audio system and available rear-seat video system.

Powertrain
The Chrysler 300C SRT8's 425-horsepower (317 kW), normally aspirated 6.1-liter HEMI has the highest output for its size of any naturally aspirated V-8 engine ever offered by the Chrysler Group. Its 69.8 horsepower-per-liter rating exceeds even that of the legendary 1966 "Street HEMI." Torque is rated at 420 lb.-ft. (569 Nom).

Although the Chrysler HEMI was born in the 1950s and entered into legend in the 1960s and '70s, today's version took much of its inspiration from the original-particularly the namesake hemispherical combustion chambers that provide power and efficiency.

When SRT powertrain engineers set out to develop a more powerful HEMI for the Chrysler 300C SRT8, they were mindful of the engine's heritage, which led to adopting traditional HEMI engine cues including an orange-painted cylinder block and black valve covers.

SRT engineers who developed the Chrysler 300C SRT8's engine achieved more horsepower by adding more cubic inches, increasing the compression ratio, and redesigning the cylinder head, intake and exhaust systems for better flow and increased engine speed.

For more displacement, SRT engineers bored out the diameter of the cylinders in the HEMI by 3.5 millimeters each in order to increase the total displacement to 6.1 liters from 5.7 liters.

Compression ratio was also increased to 10.3:1 from 9.6:1, increasing engine efficiency and power.

Engine breathing was increased with new higher-flow cylinder heads, a specially designed intake manifold, and exhaust headers with individual tubes encased in a stainless steel shell, all unique to the 6.1-liter HEMI engine. Larger-diameter valves and reshaped ports in the heads allow for maximized air flow. The intake manifold was designed with larger-diameter and shorter runners for higher-speed tuning. Exhaust is routed through a large-diameter (2.75-inch vs. 2.5-inch) exhaust system with 3.5-inch chrome tips.

Rambit

·
Registered
443 Posts
marlinspike said:
Whoa, if my dad's car is Silver Steel does that mean he's getting one of the one's with a tire pressure monitor system?
That's a standard feature for 2006. Mine is Black and I have it as well. :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Well, what I'm really asking is does being silver steel make it an 06 model by default? I guess it is if it hasn't arrived yet (though I'm gonna call him tonight, I think they were saying august 26 ship date on the last phone call).

·
Registered
208 Posts
marlinspike said:
Well, what I'm really asking is does being silver steel make it an 06 model by default? I guess it is if it hasn't arrived yet (though I'm gonna call him tonight, I think they were saying august 26 ship date on the last phone call).
All 3SRT8s being built now are 2006 models. That's been true since before April AFAIK.
-Steve

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hehe, seems like car model years start earlier and earlier. I'm only 19 and I remember when the new car model year started in later August/early September.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts