Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I went to head to work and I got in my car to start it and it just made a cla cla cla sound, dashboard lights work, but it wont start. I haven't had a problem like this before. Now the night before it was about 26 degrees outside and well here in Dallas Texas it hasnt been this cold. Can anyone give me any pointers? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Which engine, how many miles on it, and when was it last tuned up? Any other additional significant maintenance information would also be helpful, such as any recent work done to it, any previous symptoms (hard start, etc.). Does it crank or not....just click, no click, battery fully charged, etc.?

Also, where's your left side marker light??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5.7 engine, 139k miles, last tuned like 5 months ago. So I gave it a jump and it did start, not sure why I didnt think of that before. It's running as usual now but I did add some antifreeze. So I just painted my car and I bought new side markers and fog lights that I haven't added to the car yet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It could be a bad diode in the alternator which could cause a parasitic drain to the battery. That's what happened to mine. The alternator would charge the battery like normal when the car was running but the bad diode caused the battery to drain when the car was not running.....sometimes it would drain completely dead overnight and sometimes it would drain only enough in a couple of hours to have the same issues you described above.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go to Autozone,Advance, O'Reily, etc, for a free battery/alternator check. Make sure there is no corrosion on the terminals AND that they are tight. A loose terminal or a corroded terminal will "mimick" a lot of other issues. Good luck !

·
Registered
211 Posts
How old is the battery?

That is statistically the most likely scenario. My last battery died at only three years without warning whereas the one before lasted twice as long and was causing issues.

Also check your battery ground cable, they can cause all kinds of odd issues if not fully operational.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts