Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have recommendations on a performance cam.? I’m currently had a bad lifter think my cam might be gone as well trying to building it up a bit while I’m at it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'd say that it depends on what your goals are for the vehicle. If you're going to use it as a daily driver and mostly cruise around town and the highway, you may want to do like I did with my 06 SRT8 when the cam and lifters went bad. These things have a ton of torque and, if you're not going to go racing and don't need a real strong top end, you may want to get a cam like I did....one that has a stronger low and mid-range power curve as opposed to the stock cam which is more of a mid range, top end cam.

Keeping your goals for the vehicle in mind, do LOTS of research on cams and lifters, as there are plenty to choose from, no matter what you're after.

Are you sure the cam/lifters are bad. When mine went bad due to wrong weight, type and amount of oil used for about 20000 miles by the P.O.'s quickie oil change joint, I did a lot of troubleshooting first to make sure that's what was bad before tearing into it. I will say that using the wrong oil for any length of time will wreak havoc on your 6.1's cam and lifters. See pix below.

P1010005_renamed_11490.jpg
P1010010.jpg
P1010009.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. I'd say that it depends on what your goals are for the vehicle. If you're going to use it as a daily driver and mostly cruise around town and the highway, you may want to do like I did with my 06 SRT8 when the cam and lifters went bad. These things have a ton of torque and, if you're not going to go racing and don't need a real strong top end, you may want to get a cam like I did....one that has a stronger low and mid-range power curve as opposed to the stock cam which is more of a mid range, top end cam.

Keeping your goals for the vehicle in mind, do LOTS of research on cams and lifters, as there are plenty to choose from, no matter what you're after.

Are you sure the cam/lifters are bad. When mine went bad due to wrong weight, type and amount of oil used for about 20000 miles by the P.O.'s quickie oil change joint, I did a lot of troubleshooting first to make sure that's what was bad before tearing into it. I will say that using the wrong oil for any length of time will wreak havoc on your 6.1's cam and lifters. See pix below.

View attachment 174942 View attachment 174943 View attachment 174944
thanks for the the info. I think I’m going with the same Goal as you. I want it to be street legal and basically a weekend car. Don’t want to over power but I want something better since I’m doing the job might as well do more. I currently reached out to camp cam to see what they recommend don’t want to over do it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
FWIW, I went fairly mild with a Comp Cam's XFI series, P/N 112-500-11. I am very happy with it and it is very similar to the cams Comp Cams I have in both of my 5.7 Hemi's. I am very happy with all of them and wouldn't change a thing. I also used all new OEM roller lifters. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts