Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon everyone,
This is my first post here so I apologize for any ignorance about the forums here but I'm in desperate need of help with this car.
2 years ago we got scammed when purchasing a 2006 300C SRT8, in short the odometer had been rolled back, and it had a whole slew of other issues. Because we purchased the car in another state, we could not take much legal action.
Anyways, here is the issue that has been plaguing this car since day one:
When the car gets hot, it lets out some low pitch groans as if a brake is sticking ONLY WHILE IN DRIVE AND ROLLING FORWARD/UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION (I can assure you that there is no brake sticking as we have rebuilt the front and rear calipers and hoses.)
Here is the video I uploaded to YouTube to show off the sound:
I have been tracing this sound since day one and getting pretty desperate. There don't seem to be any prevalent issues with the car at this point other than the sound. It runs great, shifts smooth, etc. The only thing i can think of is the ABS, EPS, and TC light coming on occasionally, we have been told that we may need to replace the ABS pump which has since been discontinued by MOPAR.

EDIT: Problem solved (sort of) I explained in a comment below. I hope this helps anyone with a similar issue. Long story short: Replace your Intake manifold gaskets!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi buddy, really sorry to hear about the bad business and the clocking of the odometer, it really sucks! The noise does sound like abs pump switching on for no reason.

But to be sure, if your able to replicate the noise, have someone with their hand feel for vibration at pump, taking care not to knock them down.

Basically the abs module is made up of 3 parts. You have the pump motor, the HCD or hydraulic control unit and the circuit board.

If it's just the pump, my advice would be to replace the complete abs module unit with a second hand used part. New parts will be expensive and even more for the individual bits as it will require disassembling.

After replacement, the entire system will need bleeding starting with the furthest wheel from the master cylinder. The abs module will also need to be bleed, which can be done with the Autel MaxiCheck which has an auto bleed function.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, please do confirm if it is the abs pump making the noise. You should be able to feel it with your hands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll definitely check once we get the car back! We are having all kinds of bad luck with it as of late. It's currently getting new motor mounts... We found that the motor was getting ready to jump right out of the chassis! Could the pump make any noise if there is air it moisture in the system?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
With the car switched off, if you press on the pedals a few times, it needs to feel rock hard. If it's hard after a few pumps, then system is air free and good.

If it has air, the pedals would feel spongy and you would have a longer pedal travel, almost to the point with no brakes. I had that when I did a BBK upgrade.

Air won't not cause the pumps to run like that. I have Autel Maxicheck, its a budget scanner however its really good for running tests on the pump, reading any obvious codes such as speed sensors, faulty abs and many other things with the brakes.

You may have a problem with the abs circuit board or a faulty pump, my scanner would be able to run tests.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Forgot to mention, have you also checked your brake pads, it will also make noise when it needs changing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good afternoon everyone,
This is my first post here so I apologize for any ignorance about the forums here but I'm in desperate need of help with this car.
2 years ago we got scammed when purchasing a 2006 300C SRT8, in short the odometer had been rolled back, and it had a whole slew of other issues. Because we purchased the car in another state, we could not take much legal action.
Anyways, here is the issue that has been plaguing this car since day one:
When the car gets hot, it lets out some low pitch groans as if a brake is sticking ONLY WHILE IN DRIVE AND ROLLING FORWARD/UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION (I can assure you that there is no brake sticking as we have rebuilt the front and rear calipers and hoses.)
Here is the video I uploaded to YouTube to show off the sound:
I have been tracing this sound since day one and getting pretty desperate. There don't seem to be any prevalent issues with the car at this point other than the sound. It runs great, shifts smooth, etc. The only thing i can think of is the ABS, EPS, and TC light coming on occasionally, we have been told that we may need to replace the ABS pump which has since been discontinued by MOPAR.
Speed sensor by the back wheel turned them off On my wife’s car. There’s a video on YouTube

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Problem solved (sort of). So I ended up pulling my intake manifold off to replace the plenum and intake gaskets. Upon removal the first site with ALOT of oil as expected. The second was what looked like spacers between the heads and manifold with gaskets on each side of the spacer and lots of RTV red.... I have never seen these before. I ended up pulling them off and replacing the the gaskets. The groaning noise is completely gone and I no longer have major RPM bounce. HOWEVER I do still have minor misfire with no codes under low RPM load and idle. (i can watch my dash flicker and it obviously didn't fix my ABS issue) I may start seperate threads for the misfire and ABS issue. Here is the code of the ABS problem.
C 2116

1 - 8 of 8 Posts