Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost done working on my front suspension. Replaced the steering rack, outer tie rods, upper control arms, front tires, and shocks. Had previously done the sway bar bushings and lower control arms. Now getting ready to tackle the ball joints on the spindle. Car drives so much better!

Have owned the car since new and love it, but they clearly skimped on the suspension design for 20 inch heavy fat tires. Nonetheless, I love the power. Have new coils, new plugs, a new fuel pump, and a new ignition key cylinder (old 2007 technology!). Also did the infamous "pink thingy" in the transmission selector (replaced the plastic with aluminum) and replaced an oil pressure sensor; but otherwise 143K very pleasant miles.

When I need to replace my 6.1, I plan to buy a crate motor.

I'd love to buy a new one, but Chrysler is not planning for that in the US.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you really have to replace the control arms?

I've noticed my 2005 regular 300c is acting kind of boaty when I corner at higher speeds, not sure if it's just like that or not though? It had 110k when I bought it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you really have to replace the control arms?

I've noticed my 2005 regular 300c is acting kind of boaty when I corner at higher speeds, not sure if it's just like that or not though? It had 110k when I bought it.
Yes, the fat wide 20 inch tires put a lot of wear on the control arms, the bushings, and the ball joints especially the outer tie rods. Where I could, I used MOOG parts, but in some cases, went back to MOPAR SRT8 parts when I could find them.

It is a great car, sure to be a classic muscle car, but they skimped on the suspension for such a big heavy car. We have to maintain it because they were skimpy. My S600 Mercedes has a much better suspension set up for a big car with multiple control arms both upper and lower. But then it cost $139K when it was new against my $46K SRT8.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Of course my 300 is just the regular 5.7 with 18 inch wheels, but I wonder if mine needs that treatment yet. It's got like 130k on the clock. I know some basic stuff, like how to check my bearings and ball joints, but how do you know if the control arms are going bad?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Look at the bushings. Looks for cracks and such

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts