Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Just bought a used 2008 300c and I'm having a major issue with my battery dying. I dont have any issues if I make sure to drive my car everyday. If I let my car sit for more than 24hours without starting, the battery dies. I've taken it back to the dealership 3 times now and I'm at my breaking point.

The first time I test drove the car the battery was dead in the parking lot. The dealership assured me that it was certified and that they would take it to get looked at again just to make sure. I bought the car and 3 days later it had a dead battery. Took it back, they said it was fine. Another dead battery 5 days later. This time they said it was the radio pulling amperage while the car was off (finally an answer that was reasonable). They 'fixed it' and now 7 days later I have a dead battery AGAIN. So, I figured I'd reach out to some savy people like yourselves to see if you can help me out.

Where could I be pulling amperage while the car is off? How can I check? Has anyone else had this issue as well? Is it a defective vehicle (doubting it)?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Presumably the stealership has load tested the battery?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with Desiree. Even the little auto parts stores do that before selling you a battery. They found the problem supposably, but what did they do? Did they replace the battery? The radio? If they replaced the battery, then they should of load tested it before installation. If they did not replace your battery, then you might have a dealer that is trying to skip out from paying for a battery. I worked at dealerships for 13 years, I know how they operate.

Find out what they did. If they recharged the battery and it's not holding a charge, then you need a new battery (dead cells in battery). Hopefully they checked your alternator. A trick you can do by checking the alternor is: Start your car, while the engine is running, pull off the positive cable from your battery. If the engine dies, you have a bad alternator. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree with Desiree. Even the little auto parts stores do that before selling you a battery. They found the problem supposably, but what did they do? Did they replace the battery? The radio? If they replaced the battery, then they should of load tested it before installation. If they did not replace your battery, then you might have a dealer that is trying to skip out from paying for a battery. I worked at dealerships for 13 years, I know how they operate.

Find out what they did. If they recharged the battery and it's not holding a charge, then you need a new battery (dead cells in battery). Hopefully they checked your alternator. A trick you can do by checking the alternor is: Start your car, while the engine is running, pull off the positive cable from your battery. If the engine dies, you have a bad alternator. Hope this helps.
I keep forgetting how slow this forum is. Click "reply" and wait.

Anyway, that is a good way to cook the computer. That was a valid procedure years ago, but it can put you in a world of hurt any more. You can put a meter between the positive cable and the car to see what current is being drawn (it'll be a small amount). Pull fuses 'til the draw stops/reduces. Keep going 'til you've identified all the current-drawing items (the radio and the computer will be two of 'em).

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the battery ever goes low charge it with a good automatic charger and load test it. If the battery is left low it can sulfate. Being low doesnt mean that "it won't start my car" being low means that it is below nominal voltage and depending how long it has been under nominal voltage can make the battery very hard to recharge for an alternator.

·
Registered
299 Posts
my car was doing the same after I just got it used /no warranty. dealer had put n new small battery that checked out ok . I bought largest battery made. alternator checked ok. took it to independant mechanic and his read out said it was the radio causing problem. rebuilt radio was $900 .decided at that price and no guarantee that would fix it I opted for dealer to analize problem. it took mechanic 7 hrs. to find out it was the passenger power seat stuck !! it is on a breaker not fused !! they moved seat back @forth . it has never stuck again. hope his helps. do it now! my car is 07 srt8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts