Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe my '08 SRT8 comes with a single spinner, not even an LSD!! how **** is that? you pay $80k+ for what is potentially a race car, and it doesn't even have LSD!! my guess is it has something to do with the ESP, an LSD would be trying to force two wheels to spin and the ESP would be trying to stop both wheels from spinning rather than controlling the single wheel spinning and shifting the power to the non spinning wheel... my plan, tell me if it cannot work, is to put an air or magnetic locker (like those used in off road 4x4 applications) into the diff and wire the activator (the relay to apply the locker) to the ESP off light. this would mean the diff would be single spinner while the ESP light is off (the ESP is functioning) but when you turn the ESP off (the little light is on) the diff would be locked solid... this way, whenever you wanna do a demo, or you are at the track, you turn the esp off, the diff locks and away you go!! sound feasible?? anyone had an experience with this sort of stuff before? anyone know how to go about it, especially wirting into the ESP light?

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I cannot believe my '08 SRT8 comes with a single spinner, not even an LSD!! how **** is that? you pay $80k+ for what is potentially a race car, and it doesn't even have LSD!! my guess is it has something to do with the ESP, an LSD would be trying to force two wheels to spin and the ESP would be trying to stop both wheels from spinning rather than controlling the single wheel spinning and shifting the power to the non spinning wheel... my plan, tell me if it cannot work, is to put an air or magnetic locker (like those used in off road 4x4 applications) into the diff and wire the activator (the relay to apply the locker) to the ESP off light. this would mean the diff would be single spinner while the ESP light is off (the ESP is functioning) but when you turn the ESP off (the little light is on) the diff would be locked solid... this way, whenever you wanna do a demo, or you are at the track, you turn the esp off, the diff locks and away you go!! sound feasible?? anyone had an experience with this sort of stuff before? anyone know how to go about it, especially wirting into the ESP light?
You can easily delete ESP totally by installing a wire and a switch (search the forum for directions). Or, you can purchase the GSM fan and traction delete kit.

As for LSD it was not put in for one reason...cost. You can buy them aftermarket and away you go. It will set you back about $1500 in the US.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've been tempted to put a LSD in my car as well. I've read a lot of posts about broken half shafts and they all tend to point to the LSD. It doesn't make sense to me, but again I've read many posts. If you do want a LSD figure about $1500-$2000 for the LSD and then another $2000 for upgraded half shafts.

My car launches plenty hard with 275/40/20s on the peg leg. I have a lot more mods planned before getting (needing) to the LSD upgrade.

·
Registered
433 Posts
you pay $80k+ for what is potentially a race car, and it doesn't even have LSD!! my

Hmm, seems that the price of this car has doubled.:scared:

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
ouch!

yes, at 80K we feel your pain!

As far as at launch, mine behaves just like LSD. Only if I'm at a road course does it feel like you need more traction.

Beware of the Quaiffe. It's a great unit but something in it (cyclical delivery of power) breaks halfshafts. Ours are nominal as delivered. If you're running street rubber you're probably OK, but any slicks or drag radials and you're looking at new ones.

If you look at the big nitrous users here, they run fantastic times without LSD. NO ONE on any forum has shown any gain at the strip with one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yer, at launch the single pegger seems to perform not bad, the locker idea is more for "demo's", i like frying the tyres but there is nothing worse than when you try do a demo in front of a crowd and it fries one tyre, lol... very disappointing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I guess, I have to blame lack of LSD for being stuck in snow one winter even with winter tires. One will was spinning and another which had some traction was still. ESP was keeping me stuck. It took some creativity to get out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Put a Quaife in the car and forget it. It is far and away the best mod I have done. I think the problem with the half shafts if with guys running slicks at the drag strip and more power as in nitrous or modified engines.

I have many miles at road courses and a few passes on the drag strip with no problems. I did run street tires on all my track or drag race days.

Despite comments to the contrary, I think the Quaife does help on the drag strip as my car (stock engine) was pretty fast the Spring Fest in Irvine a few months ago with a few guys asking why I was faster than their stock car. I think the biggest reason is the Quaife. Having said that I was never able to to compare no Quaife with a Quaife on the drag strip. I was able to compare no Quaife with Quaife on a road course and the Quaife is clearly faster.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just hold off a little longer. Next years 6 speed Challengers are getting 3.91 LSD rears. Once people start wrecking them, the center sections will be in wrecking yards, cheaper then a Quaife, and with better gearing to boot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got Quaiffe installed yesterday! OMG

Immediately took 4 tenths off my 0-60 times on the first try! I am in agreement with the chap that states breakages are associated with large power dumps and slicks; these will break axles anyway.

I have 2 quaiffes and 2 torsens, so i am obviously biased (one on my stroker NOS van (!) , one in a 713 hp Turbo mustang, and one in a TVR turbo.

Incidentally, all Quaiffes are guaranteed for life, even if racing! Got mine delivered for 1200 usd.

The most important thing to me, however, is the transformation of an overpowered , and heavy RWD car, which pushes or oversteers when driving swiftly, into a thoroughbred, with complete control of thottle steer situations. The launches are faster, and, just as important, easier.

I know its expensive, but it is so worth it on all counts.

BTW, that was on all season tires, i wonder how it would be with real ones.

dr h

pred-CMR tune 401rwhp 300 tq (Mustang eddy current dyno) Murillo Motorspt
Morar CAi-Corsa 180 deg

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Okay, I want one now...really bad.

Eric

·
Registered
650 Posts
Immediately took 4 tenths off my 0-60 times on the first try! I am in agreement with the chap that states breakages are associated with large power dumps and slicks; these will break axles anyway.

I have 2 quaiffes and 2 torsens, so i am obviously biased (one on my stroker NOS van (!) , one in a 713 hp Turbo mustang, and one in a TVR turbo.

Incidentally, all Quaiffes are guaranteed for life, even if racing! Got mine delivered for 1200 usd.

The most important thing to me, however, is the transformation of an overpowered , and heavy RWD car, which pushes or oversteers when driving swiftly, into a thoroughbred, with complete control of thottle steer situations. The launches are faster, and, just as important, easier.

I know its expensive, but it is so worth it on all counts.

BTW, that was on all season tires, i wonder how it would be with real ones.

dr h

pred-CMR tune 401rwhp 300 tq (Mustang eddy current dyno) Murillo Motorspt
Morar CAi-Corsa 180 deg
did you do it yourself?

If Chrysler is installing LSD into 2009 Challenger, could it be making its way into 300Cs as well? If not 2009, then 2010?

·
Registered
9 Posts
quaiffe installed

No, i did not install the diff myself; i paid 760 usd to have it installed.

Im certain Chysler would not install this diff at the factory, but a simpler and less expensive clutch pack type.

Our diff case and assembly is the 215 Mercedes unit, and our axke ratio, according to the SRT engineers, is the largest that will fit.

The mode of operation of a torsen or quaiffe is such that the lesser loaded tire does not have to slip for the torqu transfer to occur, like it does w/ a usual LSD.

read this:

http://www.torsen.com/files/Traction_Control_Article.pdf

it is a torsen development article, but the units are quite similar.

The Torsen is about half the quaiffe price, for my 2 Fords. Who knows, maybe they would make a factory deal.

I have the feeling that much engineering prowess will now be directed to Saving Gas!

We might be seeing the last big hotrod factory cars (we say this Every decade)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts