Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, don't know if this is CRD specific issue but here goes.

Occasionally, my 2009 LX CRD is ready to set fire below the car after a drive.

You notice this from a burned plastic/rubber smell, crackling sounds and hot air flowing from underneath the car and if you open the bonnet. For a long time I thought it was the breaks getting stuck, but the crackling sound comes more from below the car - front / middle / maybe more from the right side if I was to be more specific.

Now, this time it happened just after filling the tank with a different brand of diesel I usually use. Don't know if this has anything to do with it - sound almost like some conspiracy theory.

The sound is this rhythmic crackling that by time the car is turned off gets slower and slower and finally stops.

Any ideas on what is going on here?

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,536 Posts
I would think that is your DFP doing a regen. For a regen to be successful either you have to drive the car at speeds above ~40mph for an extended period or wait for the car to perform an active regeneration. In both cases the DPF gets really hot - hot enough to burn off the soot stored in the DPF. If you stop driving part way through a regen the hot DPF has to cool which on my Gen 1 used to click and smell of hot metal and burning. An active regen should take place every few hundred miles if you're not getting up to speed for long enough for a passive one to clean out the DPF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts