Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Enjoying our 2011 300C, but it's in the shop now for the sunroof clips to stop the rattle and to check the MDS.

This is the 2nd Hemi we've had with MDS. 2005 and now 2011.

Recently, there is a bang or bump sound when the vehicle goes between 4 and 8 cylinder mode. I searched on here and couldn't find any info on it.

The dealer has confirmed it, but states that there is no TSB on it.

Anyone else have this issue and any info on the fix?

This is still under warranty, but we're getting near the end so I want to get it resolved.

Thanks in advance for any info...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am putting this in CAPS for a reason: MAKE SURE YOU USE NOTHING BUT 5W-20 WEIGHT OIL AT EACH OIL CHANGE!

The MDS valve actuators only work correctly with the proper 5W-20 viscosity (weight) oil. ANY other weight can lead to a MDS malfunction. Even if you bring your car to the dealer to get service don't ASSUME they will put in the correct oil unless you specifically tell them! I always tell the service writer to make sure to specify "5W-20" on the work order becuse I can guarantee you the oil change guy is probably not a Chrysler tech and he (she) will put in whatever weight oil the dealer uses most in the "quick lube" lane.

Try a new oil change demanding 5W-20 oil and see if your problems clear up. For less than $50 what have you got to lose?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely check on this. This is the same dealer who does all the oil changes (while it is under warranty).

Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I notice that thump too but it comes with a jolt in the drivetrain if I floor it to go out to pass on the highway. Mind you thats only if I am agressive about flooring it. Otherwise it's always seemless and quiet.
And I am using 5-20 synthetic.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I personally think all this is related to the poor transmission management these cars exhibit for the most part. It seems to have issues determining which gear it needs to be in.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I second the notion to make sure the dealer has put the correct weight oil in. It happened to me with my Cool V. Even though they are the dealer, it can happen. I only found out because I got a code and a light.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, just picked her up. They checked the oil viscosity and said it was correct. They had contacted Chrysler technical and they were instructed to reconfigure everything; engine type, tire size, etc. They evidently reprogrammed a lot of things and they say that the problem is resolved. My wife drove it back and says that she didn't notice it doing it. I would imagine that they have some sort of computer to engage or disengage MDS in the shop because they were able to confirm the problem quickly. I guess they could confirm the fix as quickly? So, when the weather is better and she comes back out of the garage, I'll check again. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts