Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing a 2012 with 18K miles. I've heard some reports about alternators suddenly frying, and some comments about rattles, squeaks and leaks that emerge over time.

Can anyone give me input on long term reliability, common problems, etc?

Many thanks, much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Mine is just up to 33,000 miles, it's had a couple of minor issues. It has been reliable enough that I may not even extend the warranty

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I think the alternator issues is on the 3.6L equipped models only, not the 5.7 or 6.4.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a 2012 300C. Only issues was a noisy steering column when turing at low speed. Turned out to be a improperly lubed bearing. Fixed under warranty.

Phil

·
Registered
61 Posts
2013 & 41000kms. No issues as such, gone back to dealer for the following items (3 visits in total) fixed under warranty:

- Peeling carbon fibre trim (replacement).
- Exhaust rattle on start up.
- Sunroof rattle.
- Main screen blacking out (software update).
- Outside temperature not updating (software update).
- Parcel shelf vibration at deep bass.
- Poor fitment of driver's side rear view mirror cover (eventually replaced).
- Water pump failure (replacement).
- Bluetooth module failure (replacement).

Very happy with the car, not so much with aftersales service. Also quite a few of the people with the black chrome upgrade (earlier models 2012-13) needed to go back for flaking chrome on the wheels.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I'm extending the warranty on my 12 300 SRT next week, just because.

$2,100 to take the 3/36 out to 7/85 under Chrysler master care with $100 deductible. I'm probably wasting my $.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok its a machine shit happens from time to time . All makes have minor issues if something happens dont worry have it fixed or fix it yourself there are good people on this forum willing to help if this car feels good to you take it home and enjoy as we do ours. (South Australia)

·
Registered
510 Posts
2012, 66k kms here. Bought new 2012.

Other than a minor repair and recall here and there (airbag sensor, fuse box recall), absolutely ZERO issues (knock on wood).

In fact, I love driving the car so much I said to hell with winter storage, plated it yesterday, and as long as the roads are clear of sand and snow, will drive it until the wheels fall off.

Then, I will recondition / rebuild and drive it more.

Reactions: frank clark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Toasteroven has the right attitude to being a custodian of a chrysler dont lock it up let it loose and enjoy the ride when it needs a little care give it then enjoy even more

·
Registered
49 Posts
2012 srt8 with 18K miles. issues I have had, all replaced under warranty:

-black chrome wheels flaking
-carbon fiber trim peeling
-backup camera issues
-warped front rotors
-bluetooth/voice recognition module
-leather dash warped (x2)
-dead battery (fixed by jump start, no issues since)

other than rotors, most of the issues were cosmetic. the wheels, carbon fiber trim, and leather dash were all extra options offered for the first time that year, so perhaps not enough qc testing was done during their development.

no mechanical issues, motor/trans have been great.

i do find the issues i have had unacceptable for a vehicle at this price point, but i do plan to keep the car, and none of the issues have convinced me to purchase the extended warranty (my factory warranty has since expired for bumper to bumper, i still have almost two years on powertrain).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2012 SRT8 with 53K miles. Original owner.

Fixed under warranty:
-all vapor chrome wheels replaced.
-cracked radiator at 14,000 miles.
-carbon fiber dash pieces.
-cooling fans replaced (cracked blades).

I purchased the lifetime extended warranty.

47k miles- water pump replaced when I complained about motor (not sure anything was wrong with that actually).

47.1k miles- car went back in to dealer. Broken lifter. New camshaft, valves, lifters, etc. Car was in shop two weeks, but has been fine since then.

Carbon fiber trim is peeling off three of my doors. Trim isn't covered under extended warranty, and they want $800 per door to replace. Working with SRT on this issue.

I love my car, but the engine repair alone would've been $2k. I am glad I bought the extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I have a 2012 SRT8 with 53K miles. Original owner.

Fixed under warranty:
-all vapor chrome wheels replaced.
-cracked radiator at 14,000 miles.
-carbon fiber dash pieces.
-cooling fans replaced (cracked blades).

I purchased the lifetime extended warranty.

47k miles- water pump replaced when I complained about motor (not sure anything was wrong with that actually).

47.1k miles- car went back in to dealer. Broken lifter. New camshaft, valves, lifters, etc. Car was in shop two weeks, but has been fine since then.

Carbon fiber trim is peeling off three of my doors. Trim isn't covered under extended warranty, and they want $800 per door to replace. Working with SRT on this issue.

I love my car, but the engine repair alone would've been $2k. I am glad I bought the extended warranty.
If any of your carbon fiber had been replaced prior, it should be under a 24 month warranty from the date the parts have been previously replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A brute in a suit

Hey everybody
Thanks for all your input on reliability. I bought my 2012 6 weeks ago. I LOVE it. This car is amazingly comfortable and powerful. So many thoughtful design features. I think my favorite is the adaptive cruise control...brings a new level of pleasure to highway cruising. The car is supremely smooth and serene, until you stamp on it--then it turns into a crazy beast...holy mackerel! No wonder they call it "a brute in a suit." I know y'all already know all this. Just thought I'd share the love.

Kinda glad oil prices are in the basement :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unfortunately for me, No support from SRT. They stated that at $4663, it's too much money. It is a lot of money, but why they force you to buy three door panels when the problem is the little carbon fiber piece is ridiculous. Very disappointed.?

·
Registered
10 Posts
2012 srt8 with 18K miles. issues I have had, all replaced under warranty:

-black chrome wheels flaking
-carbon fiber trim peeling
-backup camera issues
-warped front rotors
-bluetooth/voice recognition module
-leather dash warped (x2)
-dead battery (fixed by jump start, no issues since)

other than rotors, most of the issues were cosmetic. the wheels, carbon fiber trim, and leather dash were all extra options offered for the first time that year, so perhaps not enough qc testing was done during their development.

no mechanical issues, motor/trans have been great.

i do find the issues i have had unacceptable for a vehicle at this price point, but i do plan to keep the car, and none of the issues have convinced me to purchase the extended warranty (my factory warranty has since expired for bumper to bumper, i still have almost two years on powertrain).

What were the backup camera issues? I just bought my car and the camera is noticeably fuzzier than the one in the 14' Jeep that my wife has. It's especially bad at night. I'm just curious if mine is bad or if the 14' has a better one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
HI, I own a 2013 Plate SRT8 CORE, purchased new in May '14 at Suttons Rosebery. I have 60k on the clock, I'll list the issues I've had all repaired under warranty

1. Head lights fogging up, took it back a couple of times, not sure what they did but, it's all good now.

2. Rear shocks were stuffed, took the dealer almost 6 months to fix the issue, all they needed to do is replace the rear shock ffs.

3. Fuel pump was leaking, even with video evidence they couldn't find the the issue, the mind boggles. Anyway, they kept the car for ten weeks, was told it was repaired.

4. Fuel pump, again, I believe they didn't change anything, this time around I had to take the car back several times to point out that there was an issue with the fuel pump and tank. It took Chrysler 6 month to come to the party. I forgot to mention, that whilst the fuel pump/tank issue was happening, the car cabin was saturated with a smell of fuel. So whilst Chrysler was wasting my warranty time, I had to drive in a potential death trap.

5. The little tabs for the drinks holder in the middle console had broken off, were replaced at the dealer.

6. Exhaust rattle on start up, then got worse as time went on, was finally fixed under warranty.

Other than the issues I've had, the car is a joy to drive. Oh, the latest thing to happen, the drivers seat squeaks on occasion but, that's no big deal.

I would still recommend this car, as it drives nice, is really economical on the freeway (8.4ltrs per 100) and goes like the wind. Not to mention, the car still excites me, and doesn't look like anything else on the street.

PS: At 64k the car developed a loud engine tick. The engine light came on, cylinder #3 misfire, off to my mechanic since the car is out of warranty now. We checked the coil packs, spark plugs, injectors, nothing wrong there. I decided to take the car back to the dealer to diagnose, because the car is out of warranty, I'm hoping that Chrysler will come to the party under the consumer law, as this is an internal engine issue. I believe I have the infamous lifter issue with the 5.7 and 6.4 engines. Have since spoken to Chrysler and they advised that once it is determined what the issue is, the dealer can place a claim for the repair from Chrysler. Problem I'm having is the dealer is trying to stitch me up for money just to diagnose the engine, I pointed out to the tech that Chrysler advised that the dealer can tack on their diagnostic costs along with the repair or replacement.

I really hope that the block isn't damaged, as it would need possible valve springs, lifters and a cam. At this point I'm really disappointed that the engine has developed this issue, as I look after the car, it is serviced etc. Chrysler really should have recalled the cars but, they rolled the dice, now I've since found the Suttons Rosebery have changed several blocks because of the issue I'm having. So, I'm waiting on the tech to call me and let me know what's wrong.

Honestly our consumer laws are a joke, the ACCC will do nothing, a lawyer will cost more than building the engine myself. So if this happens to you, you are relying on the manufacturer to do the right thing, and if they refuse, you're screwed. I'll wait and see what happens, hopefully it all gets sorted, because I just want to enjoy the bloody thing, and I certainly am not enjoying having to rebuild the motor after only 64k and 5 months out of warranty.

OK. 29/11/2017
Tech calls me, the cam is chewed out due to the buggered lifter. I've supplied the log book, as Chrysler require proof of servicing. Now they want receipts, I don't have any, as I always pay cash, and my book was always stamped. The mechanic I used was an old guy, he's out of the business, so I'm out of luck. Chrysler are being tit rats, and not willing to help.

So now I'll have to take my broken car to my new mechanic, and rebuild the top end. I'm so pissed off over this, the motor is barely run in, always looked after, serviced etc. Thanks to Chrysler for leaving me holding my **** in the wind.

Anyway, at least I'll be able to replace all the lifters, and not just one like Chrysler would, and with better parts. A slightly larger cam, new springs, and I'll be back on the road in no time.

I still like the car, and I'm sure I'll love it even more when I get it sorted.

As for Chrysler, I'm done with them. I'll hang onto the car but, I won't be running out to buy another any time soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts