Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read all the threads and decided on Infinity. I went with 3.5" Infinity Ref for the dash and 6x9 Infinity Kappa 693.11i for the rear (chose these as factory speakers are 2 ohm as well). Just left the front door speakers alone ... for now. Results

1) Front sounds amazing, definitely recommend this $75 upgrade
2) Rear Kappas sound awful, literally no bass. Highs are good tho. They are 3 way speakers and rated at 2 ohms, my meter says 2.4 ohms. Oh and I tried switching positive and negative no difference.
3) Cruthfield sent connectors but the right front and right rear are reverse of the wiring diagram. Anyone seen this issue. Did Chrysler wire it backwards at factory or is Crutchfield wrong.

Is is possible my amp is blown? I've read it's a full signal going to rear speakers? Or do I need a amp upgrade to make these Kappas sound right? Hard to believe but maybe you guys will know. Don't want a sub in car tho.

I have some pics I'll post later this week. Pls chime in with ideas. Should I go to an audio shop to test the amp, can they do that hmmm.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
I have the Infinity reference 3.5s in my dash as well and love them. I've been trying to figure out a scenario where your reported symptoms makes sense. Did your amp (does yours even have an amp?) suddenly decide to blow while you were replacing those 6X9's? That seems very unlikely. It seems more likely that something is fishy with the new Kappa's. I see from the specs that it has a volume control on the tweeter. Did you adjust that downward? If you did and nothing gets your bass back, I'd try putting the old speakers in to make sure the wiring is correct and the amp (if any) isn't blown. If your bass returns, that would point the finger at the new Kappas.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Sounds like a phasing problem. I know you said you reversed the wires, but do the following test. Since I now know which speakers have the lack of bass, fade the radio all the way to the rear with some music with bass playing.

Then move the balance left then right. If the bass suddenly improves when the balance is left or right, you have a phasing issue.

I recall some early 05's had a polarity problem from the factory, but I wasn't aware it happening with the '12s. The above test should hash out the problem. And if you do have a phasing issue it's only one side that you'd need to reverse the wires on. If you do both , you'll still have the problem.

Reactions: iluvteak

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas guys. When I fade to rear speakers and move from left to right, the speakers sound awful separately. When both are playing it goes to up a notch to lousy. I put the factory speakers in again and still bad, and even tried a set of Infinity Reference 6x9's brand new and they are worse than the Infinity Kappas :)

Oh and found that push button on the tweeter to adjust, can't tell that it changes a thing in sound quality.

Honestly I assumed I had an amp because I have the Alpine logo near the front door. Guess I better dig in and see. I'll feel like an idiot if I don't haa.

I'm leaning heavily to the blown amp idea, figured all channels would go dead tho, not just the bass. I'll post my findings.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
I'm leaning heavily to the blown amp idea, figured all channels would go dead tho, not just the bass... I'll feel like an idiot if I don't...
You will be happy to learn that you do indeed have an amp according to my 2012 brochure. Mine is the base model which comes with the 6-speaker audio system but no (external) amp. Your 300C comes with a "six premium speaker" sound system including a "276-watt digital amplifier", which is located above the driver's feet and is fairly easy to replace or upgrade.

I agree with your heavy leaning. It seems very implausible for an amp to run fine for years and then blow at the precise time you replace speakers. But these symptoms sure do appear to point to that amp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts