Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2012 Chrysler 300 Base with 12,000 miles on it. Slugish shifting not worthy of a car with these types of miles. Brought to dealer to fix a suspension issue and address this shifting problem. Took 5 times bringing back and forth to dealer to fix suspension issue. Dealer replaced L/f shock, mount plate and sway bar link. Updated TCM for shifting concerns and sent me on my way. Car ran better, but shifting is a struggle it seems. Autostick is horrible. Jerky and erratic.
Check engine light went off about 1000 miles after buying. Turned off the next day. No codes but a couple tire sensor pressure when brought to dealer. They replaced and checked transmission as I requested AGAIN. Said each gear ratio was functioning properly. In addition to the struggle upshifting, taking the car to about 60 mph and letting it glide down, you feel the car downshift hard into 2nd at about 25 mph. That is consistent, everytime, the downshift to 2nd. Im bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow AGAIN, but maybe someone else could provide insight/experience if they have any? Car has 13,800 miles now.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
How are the changes when you leave it in drive and don't use it manually?

When its left in drive you basically won't know or feel it changing gears, but when changing it manually you will feel every gear change and can make quite a thump.
The exception to that is jabbing hardish at the brakes which will cause it to make a slight thud as it downshifts into 3rd or 2nd gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It feels like its surging into gear when reg mode. I only used autostick twice and its pretty much an exageration of reg mode. Ive seen postings on input speed sensor and tcm replacment which sounds like it may be the problem. The dealer is giving me the run around and i dont think theyve see this problem which leads me to belive i'll have to escalate to chrysler corporate at this point. Shifting is not comfortable at all, sometimes are better than others but overall it feels like its lacking power and transmission is not responsive enough.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
That sounds like TCM issue... Tuning for these trannys are always the first place to look (before drilling down for bigger problems). Either you're just super sensitive to the shifting, or the TCM is probably not functioning properly. Honestly, the (smooth feel) difference between my wife's E-class 7spd is like night and day compared to my SRT. I got over that almost immediately. So, if all else fails @ this dealership, take it to a more "customer-oriented" dealership that's more focused on taking care of the customer instead of "pushing metal" out the door--like your "outlet" auto malls and such. Your "Ma & Pa" dealerships (smaller) would be more apt to taking care of you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You may try a different dealer that may have more knowledge of your problem.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
What transmission are we talking about here? The 5-speed? I have a base 2012 w/8speed and 15K miles, and it is definitely more jerky than my previous car (Chevy Equinox). The V6 is noisier, too. :( My biggest issue with the 8-speed is the downshift into 1st, followed by the upshift into second. All the other gear changes have smoothed out nicely, probably due to the adaptive TCM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate everyone's input. It is the 5-speed, and I totally understand the difference between a Benz and Chrysler transmission feel, however I also have a 2006 Dodge Charger and it shifts a whole lot better (has 75,000 miles) than my 300. Cars may have slight differences with how smooth they shift, but it should not be uncomfortable changing gears at all (your body jerks when downshifting into 2nd). Anyhow, the dealer ran for codes and found that one of the sensors they previously replaced two weeks ago was bad (back driver-side). It was speed sensors, not tire pressure sensors as I had indicated either. It looks like the mechanism inside the axle that feeds this sensor has an issue and may be destroying it after installation. They replaced sensor and car is upshifting smoother, but I still feel that jump down into 2nd after decelerating (at about 30-35 mph). Set up another appt for Monday and will leave the car with them to get Chrysler Corp. involved. They're giving me a loaner so it eases the inconvenience. Btw only two dealerships in my vicinity, I've chosen the better of the two, not much else I can do on that tip.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Well @ least they're a step closer...hope they'll be able to fully resolve the issue! :439:

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
1,167 Posts
BlackLux,

I would hope that your dealer has already reviewed this, BUT you never know......There is a TCM software enhancement TSB for the 2012 model year w/ 5 speed tranny; not sure if it applies to your concerns but here it is for you and others to review:

TSB 21-007-12

SUBJECT:
FLASH: MIL Illumination For P0730 - Incorrect Gear Ratio

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves updating the Transmission Control Module (TCM) software.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to the following vehicles equipped with the W5A580 Transmission (Sales Code DGJ):

• 300C Models - built on or before May 17, 2012

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may indicate that the MIL is illuminated (And / Or) the transmission went into limp-in. Upon further investigation, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0730 - Incorrect Gear Ratio is either active or stored in the PCM’s memory.

Transmission Control Module (TCM) -Reprogram

There are no other TSB's for the 5 speed tranny.

Check the wiring harness near the brake booster for a damage/or pinched wire harness. In addition, check the C110 (Black 20 way) connector and/or the C104 (Green 16 way) connector for being secure and no pulled out circuits and/or poor connections.

Good luck on getting this resolved asap!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out it was the ABS module malfunctioning. No codes registering, but they were being stored. Dealer special ordered and it took 3 days total. TCM update was done earlier. Car upshifts a lot smoother, still feel the occasional downshift to 2nd but I guess its as good as it will get. Definitely feels like a different car.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Glad they found it for you. Must have been faulty from the start with such few miles on it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I think so. The problems keep coming. Starting to think the worst with this car. Now when I start the car after extended periods of being parked I hear a sloshing sound from behind the dash when in motion.

After driving for 5-10 minutes it goes away. Have seen a few posts where ppl mentioned coolant being low and a/c drain blockage as possible causes. The car has barely 14,000 miles and the manual states that coolant should not need attention for 5 years or 105,000 miles. Does this indicate a coolant leak?

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
1,167 Posts
A coolant leak would be evidnent either by a puddle of fluid under the vehicle or white smoke billowing from the tail pipe (if coolant was leaking into the engine)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yeah I think so. The problems keep coming. Starting to think the worst with this car. Now when I start the car after extended periods of being parked I hear a sloshing sound from behind the dash when in motion.

After driving for 5-10 minutes it goes away. Have seen a few posts where ppl mentioned coolant being low and a/c drain blockage as possible causes. The car has barely 14,000 miles and the manual states that coolant should not need attention for 5 years or 105,000 miles. Does this indicate a coolant leak?
You have to be a little more detailed w/ your "sloshing" description. 'Cause quite honestly, I use to hear liquid movement behind the dash of my GM SUV every once in awhile, but it wasn't that evident, just only when the music was off and everything was quiet, I could slightly hear it...point being, this is normal. Is the "sloshing" quite elaborate and really noticeable?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts