Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was an interesting comparison test. The Chevy Caprice is shockingly hideous looking. The SRT8 Charger looks amazing! Charger SRT8 FTW!

IL Track Tested: 2011 Chevy Caprice by SLP vs. 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

By Mike Magrath | May 15, 2012

Inside Line tests hundreds of vehicles a year. Cars, trucks, SUVs, we run them all, and the numbers always tell a story. With that in mind we present "IL Track Tested," a quick rundown of all the data we collect at the track, along with comments direct from the test drivers. Enjoy.
With full-size-sedan proportions, a real trunk, rear-drive layout and fuel-efficient and powerful powertrain offerings, both the new Chevy Caprice -- available only for government fleet use when new -- and the Dodge Charger are vying for the hearts and budgets of the Fraternal Order of Police.
What we have here, though, are completely different animals from the rookie’s squad car. First, we’ve replaced the Police package Charger with the biggest and baddest Charger available, the 470-horsepower 2012 Dodge Dodge Charger SRT8. It’s a tire-shredding beast of a sedan for sure, but it’s still less powerful than what you can get from GM.

Standing in for the base Caprice is a 505-hp-plus 6.0-liter monster out of SLP. The SLP Caprice Detective Package straps an SLP TVS 1900 supercharger to the stock 6.0-liter V8 as well as cold-air induction and SLP PowerFlo axle-back stainless steel exhaust and, for good measure, gives it a healthy tune. SLP says this is the car for emergency units in small towns with few cars, as well as Fire and Rescue units. We’re going to assume a few high-ranking detectives have also approved a line item for this kit in their budget.
Which takes it on the track and which one would you be more afraid of with gumballs on the roof?

2011 Chevy Caprice SLP PPV 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
0-30 (sec.): 2.1 2.0
0-45 (sec.): 3.3 3.0
0-60 (sec.): 4.8 4.6
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec.): 4.5 4.3
0-75 (sec.): 6.8 6.3
1/4-mile (sec @ mph): 12.9 @ 109.2 12.7 @ 111.3
30-0 (ft): 31 27
60-0 (ft): 123 108
Skid pad lateral accel (g): 0.80 0.88
Slalom 63.2 66.5

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV by SLP

Odometer: 6,102
Date: 4/24/2012
Driver: Chris Walton
Price: N/A

Specifications:
Drive Type: Front engine, rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Six-speed automatic
Engine Type: Supercharged, port-injected V8 with cylinder deactivation
Displacement (cc/cu-in): 5,967/364
Redline (rpm): N/A
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 505 (estimated)
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): N/A
Brake Type (front): 13.6-inch ventilated discs with four-piston fixed calipers
Brake Type (rear): 12.8-inch ventilated discs with single-piston sliding calipers
Suspension Type (front): Independent MacPherson struts with dual lower ball joints, progressive rate coil springs, stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear):Independent multilink, progressive-rate coil springs, stabilizer bar
Tire Size (front): P235/50R18 (99W)
Tire Size (rear): P235/50R18 (99W)
Tire Brand: Goodyear
Tire Model: Eagle RS-A
Tire Type: Asymmetrical, all season
As tested Curb Weight (lb): 4,202

Test Results:
Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.1 (2.3 w/ TC on)
0-45 (sec): 3.3 (3.5 w/ TC on)
0-60 (sec): 4.8 (5.0 w/ TC on)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.5 (4.6 w/ TC on)
0-75 (sec): 6.8 (6.9 w/ TC on)
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 12.9 @ 109.2 ( 13.1 @ 110.1 w/ TC on)
Braking:
30-0 (ft): 31
60-0 (ft): 123
Handling
Slalom (mph): 63.2 in Dynamic mode ( 62.8 w/TC on)
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.80 in Dynamic ( 0.79 w/TC on)
Db @ Idle: 48.1
Db @ Full Throttle: 76.9
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 70.8

Comments:

Acceleration: The traction control system does a very good job of managing what would otherwise be a senseless act of pressing the throttle to the floor. These tires are no match for the power the engine produces. I barely "beat" the TC on my third attempt, but noticed a cooling fan had started running under the hood and the trap speeds were beginning to fall. Seemed like a good time to quit, but what an awesome rolling automotive contradiction. I love "sleepers," and this is perhaps one of the best.

Braking: Must have "cop shocks and cop brakes," because it dove very little and kept repeating the same stop time and again. Good, not great, brakes with a medium-firm pedal.

Handling:
Skid pad: Non-defeat ESC (with a "Performance" Mode) means finding the prescribed electronic oversteer threshold. It allows quite a generous amount of slip before dramatically chopping throttle. Steering (hey, remember hydraulic-assist?) loads up so predictably and wanes with diminishing grip, as it should. The Caprice sneaks up on mild understeer and I could simply steer with the throttle.
Slalom: Again, good steering feel/response, with more front bite than I predicted, so the exercise became a guessing game of when exactly the Performance Mode ESC would catch the rear from sliding too far beyond the limit, which lies just a short distance beyond a clean/fast run and one that's fun to watch but slow because of the jackassery. With ESC on, it comes very close to the same pace, but reins in the oversteer just a little too soon.

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Odometer: 2,303
Date: 08/2/2011
Driver: Mike Monticello
Price: $45,795 (base)

Specifications:
Drive Type: Front engine, rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Five-speed automatic with paddle shifters
Engine Type: Naturally aspirated V8, gasoline with cylinder deactivation
Displacement (cc/cu-in): 6,424/392
Redline (rpm): 6,500
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 470 @ 6,000
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 470 @ 4,300
Brake Type (front): 14.2-inch ventilated discs with four-piston fixed caliper
Brake Type (rear): 13.8-inch ventilated discs, four-piston fixed caliper
Steering System: Hydraulic-assist, speed-proportional, rack-and-pinion steering
Suspension Type (front):Independent double wishbones with high-mount upper arm, coil springs, driver-adjustable two-mode variable dampers, stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear): Independent multilink, coil springs, driver-adjustable two-mode variable dampers, stabilizer bar
Tire Size (front): P245/45R20 (99Y)
Tire Size (rear): P245/45R20 (99Y)
Tire Brand: Goodyear
Tire Model: Eagle F1 Supercar
Tire Type: Asymmetrical summer performance
As Tested Curb Weight (lb): 4,371

Test Results:
0-30 (sec): 2.0 (2.1 w/ TC on)
0-45 (sec): 3.0 (3.4 w/ TC on)
0-60 (sec): 4.6 (4.9 w/ TC on)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.3 (4.6 w/ TC on)
0-75 (sec): 6.3 (6.6 w/ TC on)
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 12.7 @ 111.3 (13.0 @ 110.5 w/ TC on)
30-0 (ft): 27
60-0 (ft): 108

Slalom (mph): 66.5 (66.0 w/TC off)
Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.88 (0.88 w/ TC on)
Db @ Idle: 45.7
Db @ Full Throttle: 79.7
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 66.1

Acceleration Comments: Much wheelspin even with ESC/TC switched on. Went slightly quicker with same setup in Sport mode. Automatic shifts quickly but harshly. Easy to spin the rear tires, needs a bit of power braking to curb it. Quickest run came in Sport tranny/suspension mode using the paddle shifters. Will hold gears to rev limiter when in Manual mode with Sport mode switched on. Does not blip throttle on downshifts.

Braking Comments: Monster braking forces here. Very well-controlled nosedive, but the Charger would sometimes twitch a bit to the left as though there is too much rear brake bias. Incredibly consistent and short stopping distances, with zero fade.

Handling Comments:
Slalom: It seems unnatural that a car this long and heavy has such quick steering and so little body roll. Steering has nice weighting, but beyond that the Charger doesn't telegraph what's going on with the suspension and tires very well due to little weight transfer and minimal tire noise. Sure gets the job done numbers-wise, though. Possibly because our slalom course has a few bumps, the Sport setting of the adaptive suspension did not prove any quicker than running in normal mode.

Skid pad: Steering is light at low speed, and a little unfeeling. Once the beast gets a-pushing, she keeps on a-pushing. Drop-throttle did not have the desired effect we were looking for. Stiffer suspension of Sport mode helped the Charger here on the skid pad.

Source: http://blogs.insideline.com/straigh...aprice-by-slp-vs-2012-dodge-charger-srt8.html

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm happy with the charger. It looks 100000000 x better then the Chev and that's a win in my book :)

Moe Razak
Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Heavier and with lews power, the Charger out-performs the Caprice considerably. I'm thinking that new 6.4 makes more power than advertised, just like the 6.1 did.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
at almost 4400 pounds that charger is a WHALE!

You bet it makes more power than advertised in any but the worst conditions.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fail to see the revalence to this compitition?
Both are big cars with big engines that make big power. Both are comfortable and have 4 doors. How is this not a relevant comparison? The Caprice is butt ugly and the SRT Charger is a nice looking car that performs better.

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
I can't get over how ugly that Caprice is. My goodness. I mean, that is really awful. How do things like that make it out of the design department???

Mopar FTW!

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
That Hemi and that SRT platform shine here. AND also important the Hemi is NOT being force fed and still outperforms! Supercharge the Hemi, hell at least give it some minimum upgrade like a performance tune, CAI and exhaust. Or, possibly is it nearly optimized from the factory? Nice work Mopar.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
at almost 4400 pounds that charger is a WHALE!
I know Steve, but that substantial feeling that the first gen models have just pours out in the newer SRTs, I've had seat time in a couple 392s now and they just ooze comfort, power and confidence. Everything the old ones had, just double.

I've been eyeing up the Superbees, a couple dealers have sold them under $40k and you basically get everything the much more expensive SRT8s get except the killer nav. unit, moonroof and the wheels are cast - not forged.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Yeah, I have reluctantly learned to accept modern cars for their OUTRAGEOUS weights. After all, these are 4 door sedan bodies.

But I really mentioned the weight to further your "under rated" comment, as it gives a huge advantage to the Impala yet still whips it N/A!!!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
I can't get over how ugly that Caprice is. My goodness. I mean, that is really awful. How do things like that make it out of the design department???

Mopar FTW!
Another "Jelly Bean" design - obviously designed by bean counters not car guys . . .

They've managed to make it look fugly from every angle :tired:

·
Registered
328 Posts
way to ruin another name GM. At least its RWD. But its god awful ugly!

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Mopar FTW!
The Pontiac G8 was a decent looking car worthy of the SLP treatment. GM needs to bring it back with a Chevy badge - they have something in the works now. I can't believe they would even bother doing this to that hideous Caprice. I mean, really, that is one ugly car.

I know Steve, but that substantial feeling that the first gen models have just pours out in the newer SRTs, I've had seat time in a couple 392s now and they just ooze comfort, power and confidence. Everything the old ones had, just double.

I've been eyeing up the Superbees, a couple dealers have sold them under $40k and you basically get everything the much more expensive SRT8s get except the killer nav. unit, moonroof and the wheels are cast - not forged.
The Superbee is a great performance bargain and looks great, plus it weighs a little less than the loaded up Charger SRT8. I would not go with the tape accent/stripe delete option, if possible.

They got the name wrong! First was the Chevy Volt now we have the Revolt.:sad:
Good one!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Unfortunately, the only thing the Bee gets from the SRT is the 6.4 and body styling. The ~100lbs difference is from removing all the features of the SRT. You'll get cloth seats (nice ones at that), 4.3" UConnect, no ADS, no SRT hood and a lot of smaller stuff.

The Pontiac G8 was a decent looking car worthy of the SLP treatment. GM needs to bring it back with a Chevy badge - they have something in the works now. I can't believe they would even bother doing this to that hideous Caprice. I mean, really, that is one ugly car.
If I'm not mistaken, the Caprice is for police use only. Maybe that's why they made it look that way. I'm quite sure the version for the general public will look much better than that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Caprice looks like a little FWD Malibu. Add skinny tires and a platform cheaply produced to cater to the mass production needs of a nations police force, fire departments and rental car fleets and that is what you get. A supercharged similarly sized engine in a car that is lighter gets outperformed by one (supposedly) less powerful yet more purpose built for the job of going fast. Purpose of design is everything.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've been eyeing up the Superbees, a couple dealers have sold them under $40k and you basically get everything...
AWW SHHEEUUT..... Cant wait to read that thread - hell, if you get a Superbee i will make the trip to Albq just to take a ride in it!!:naughty:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts