Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I would like to say hello, as it is my first post. In few months I possibly will be in a market for a 1-2 year old car that is up to 28k$. Besides Lexus IS, Ford Mustang, the most reasonable one that grabbed my attention is the 13/14 300S V6 (too bad gas prices are slowly going up). I started reading this forum and often noticed that 2 gen 300's seem to have some electronic issues, which kind of is a little disappontment. How bad or good (maybe these issues just happen to be not so popular as they appear) is the reliability of the 300S? Because I don't want to and can't afford to get a car, and lose couple $ k's on it to sell it, so I want to know beforehand if the car is worth my time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Reliability in the 2nd Gen 300 is very good and certainly improved over the 1st Gen. I have friends with other similar loaded models (not Chrysler) and they have just as many issues as I have had with my 300. That is to say, not many. I've got 40K miles on my 2012 300S Hemi and it's fully loaded with every option available so you'd think more things to go wrong. A few squeaks, rattles and an electronic glitch, all fixed in the 1st year. I've driven this car from the east coast to the west coast, from the north down to Florida, we've been pretty much everywhere. I'd buy another one without any hesitation. The Hemi gets very good highway gas mileage and has the power you quickly get addicted to. 300's depreciate quickly, like most domestics, so that makes picking up a good used one in your favor. Mine's an AWD which I wouldn't get again unless you drive it in the winter snow where it's really amazing. mostly our 300 sits in the garage during winter (salt, slush, etc). It's reliable - just don't think I really need it.
Look for a one owner, not a daily rental, Chrysler Exec is good too if you can find one.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I have my share of complaints with the car, but they aren't problems as much as they things I feel could have been designed better. That said, I wouldn't say there are any more electrical issues than any other brand. Performance-wise the car is stellar.

Regarding reliability, I came from a gen I to gen II and I can say there were tons of improvements in that area over the gen I and I had very few issues even with the gen I.
Outside of the front suspension parts (tension struts), and I felt my gen I was a very solid car. I consider the gen II improved over that.

I happen to drive my 300 in the winter, and if you do so, I would consider the AWD. I had RWD on both generations and I felt my gen I even with v8 was much more stable than my gen II with v6.

Another bonus is I'm very much enjoying the gas mileage with the v6.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ron6468 and Cool_V_300C, thanks for clearing that up. I will definitely be looking for either first owner or an Chrysler exec (less chances to get one, but still a good option). With the used market it's a little tough to pick and choose some options, so whatever I can get, I can get, but will look for AWD as here in Jersey we tend to get snow more often than we should :p. Overall I am looking for something trouble-free that would just require wear out maintnance for at least up to 80-90k miles (sure there's always something, but the more trouble-free, the better) as otherwise I could just buy any beatup clunker, in which I would have to invest all the time and the investing would come out to be a good car. I think I'll stick to the V6, because you just don't know with gas prices, one year their at 1.95 and next their 3.50, and that's just for the 85. Glad to hear that much improvements have been done over the Gen 1, as it makes me feel that that the 2nd Gen is more reworked. Overall the 300S looks best out of the other 2, and I'm also considering a 370Z, but the issue is that the IS, and the 370Z don't depreciate and to get a truly low mileage one I would have spend more than I can afford. But then again, after you get the car you don't want it depreciating anymore :D.

·
Registered
632 Posts
My previous '06 was the most reliable car I ever owned at about $40/month for maintenance and repairs over 8 years. So far my '13 300C has been perfect, and it was a rental car bought used a year ago and with 25k miles. Best damn value out there imho. The problem with foreign and luxury brands is that although they may be more reliable, their maintentance costs are higher than domestics. God help you if you have an out of warranty repair on some of those makes. Where as local mechanics do a better job working on domestics and there are more options available for aftermarket parts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
341 Posts
Coming from an owner of a V6 8 speed.... Get the HEMI if you can afford it.. (Not the gas part) from everything I've read on hear and my personal experience the actual mileage isn't all that different.. Unless you just plan on getting on the highway and keeping it at speed.. For normal driving you'll appreciate the growl and power when you want it with the HEMI....

But alas it does come down to what you can afford to pay... Hence why no HEMI for this guy... One day!! Lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm retired so for me a Hemi is the perfect choice. If I had to drive to work every day in the city around here I doubt I would choose one. On the highway they are as good as a V6. In the city the Hemi is like driving to work in an SUV - thirsty. But like everyone says - it's a mix of economics, passion, desire and practicality. My Dodge Magnum is a V6 and gets very acceptable city mileage but about the same as the Hemi on the highway. I'm thinking though the new 2015 with a Hemi/8 Speed tranny will be a better combination city and highway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thrifty, would love the HEMI, but it's just where I live is basically a mixed driving type of area, so like Ron said, it's going to be thirsty :p. Now, if I lived somewhere in Wyoming, that's a different story, mostly highway driving, where the mileage is acceptable. With the Mustang the 5.0 isn't as scary as it sounds as actually the combined MPG is one mile less than the car I currently drive, so that's a no brainer for me (18 in the City, 20 Combined and 25 Highway for the Mustang). I wish the HEMI was on par with these stats, but a HEMI is a HEMI and it always wants more :p. Therefore V6 is good enough for me. What I like about the 300S is that it has a good audio system, I didn't pay too much attention to that before my father didn't get a Caliber R/T with Boston Acoustics, and that really changed my thinking on that. I also like that version as it has nicer appeal, sure luxury looking 300C is not bad, but I'm at an age that wants sporty over luxury. Also the reason that I would prefer a domestic is what was mentioned by Desert_Flyer, out of warranty repairs can kill you finacially speaking, the parts are expensive, and so is the labor. That is why it is a turn off for the Lex, I really like how it looks, but the maintance cost (and most likely insurance) are a turnoff so I'm going to most likely leave that out of the game. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-30...b0cb2a4a6&item=391055058086&pt=US_Cars_Trucks this one particularly has cought my eye, and although it's not time for me to buy anything yet, I really like it, first owner, 10k miles, $25k, black on black, V6, a perfect one for me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thrifty, would love the HEMI, but it's just where I live is basically a mixed driving type of area, so like Ron said, it's going to be thirsty :p. Now, if I lived somewhere in Wyoming, that's a different story, mostly highway driving, where the mileage is acceptable. With the Mustang the 5.0 isn't as scary as it sounds as actually the combined MPG is one mile less than the car I currently drive, so that's a no brainer for me (18 in the City, 20 Combined and 25 Highway for the Mustang). I wish the HEMI was on par with these stats, but a HEMI is a HEMI and it always wants more :p. Therefore V6 is good enough for me. What I like about the 300S is that it has a good audio system, I didn't pay too much attention to that before my father didn't get a Caliber R/T with Boston Acoustics, and that really changed my thinking on that. I also like that version as it has nicer appeal, sure luxury looking 300C is not bad, but I'm at an age that wants sporty over luxury. Also the reason that I would prefer a domestic is what was mentioned by Desert_Flyer, out of warranty repairs can kill you finacially speaking, the parts are expensive, and so is the labor. That is why it is a turn off for the Lex, I really like how it looks, but the maintance cost (and most likely insurance) are a turnoff so I'm going to most likely leave that out of the game. Chrysler 300 Series 300S Certified | eBay this one particularly has cought my eye, and although it's not time for me to buy anything yet, I really like it, first owner, 10k miles, $25k, black on black, V6, a perfect one for me.
Don't think you understood what I was saying... Unless.. That is if your main driving is highway you won't see much difference between the 6 and the HEMI.. from what you just described as how you will be using it that would be the case... Put it this way.. My average mileage is 17 mpg with the 6 on 22's.

Get what makes you happy but if mpg is what you're looking for in the v6 I think you're gonna wish you picked up the HEMI with the 5 speed trans. When all's said and done..

Btw.. The 8 speed isn't all it's cracked up to be unless you're cruising at highway speeds...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ximon, that 300S sure looks nice...and only 10k miles. Even better, it is a 2013 so you would be able to update the NAV at will with a Garmin that has lifetime maps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thrifty, my driving routes include some highway and some city, so the combined is what I'm concerned about. You're trying to say that the HEMI is going to come out similarly in mpg compared to a V6 in that mixed cycle?

Desert_Flyer, yeah, if only I could get it now..... the price is right, the mileage low, and perfect color match for me, could't ask for a better deal, but I don't think it should be and issue finding something similar in next 6 or so months. I'm going to be at a Dodge/Chrysler/Ram/Jeep (just like they couldn't keep the Ram under Dodge, but that's a topic for another time), dealership, so if one is in the showroom I will check it out. Oh, and thanks for letting me know about those maps, I didn't know they offer that.

One question that just came to me, at the repair and oil changing places, for the labor the 300S doesn't count as a luxury car right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thrifty, yeah, that's why I am a little skeptical about getting a HEMI, it would probably be stopping at every other gas station :D. If it was highway driving as I said, then that would be an option, but this way unfortunately I can't do it. Maybe when I retire (and by then it will probably be all electric vehicles :( ) I will be able to afford an SRT :D.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had the V6 Penstar in my 200 convertible, but now drive my wife's 13 AWD C Hemi. I used to own an 05 C Hemi too.

While the Penstar is definitely adequate with better mpg....the Hemi is addicting.....I LOVE to drive my V8 monster!!

65k miles and not a single problem or any rattles....

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the V6 Penstar in my 200 convertible, but now drive my wife's 13 AWD C Hemi. I used to own an 05 C Hemi too.

While the Penstar is definitely adequate with better mpg....the Hemi is addicting.....I LOVE to drive my V8 monster!!

65k miles and not a single problem or any rattles....
Just turned 100K miles on my '11 300C Hemi. Just oil changes and tire rotations.

·
Registered
457 Posts
First of all I would like to say hello, as it is my first post......How bad or good ...... is the reliability of the 300S?
Welcome to the forum Ximon.

I purchased my '13 "S"/V6/8-spd in 2013. To answer your question, the reliability [of my car] has been superb. I did however, recently purchase a lifetime warranty because Consumer Reports advised that Chrysler is one of a handful of brands where owners expressed satisfaction from acquiring an extended warranty (usually a sucker bet). I'd still say it would be an anomaly to get a lemon with this model, but I decided to hedge my bets.

Otherwise, in both aesthetics and performance it's an absolutely beautiful automobile -- the best I've ever had (I'm in my upper 50s) -- and I couldn't be more proud to own, drive or even be seen near it. If this car speaks to you or strikes a personal chord with you the way it did me -- and its paid off immeasurably with the happiness its brought to my daily life -- by all means, GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Otherwise, in both aesthetics and performance it's an absolutely beautiful automobile -- the best I've ever had (I'm in my upper 50s) -- GO FOR IT!
I'm about the same age, and I have had as good or better vehicles. Have mostly owned Buicks and would have bought a new one, instead of a new 300, if Buick still made a large vehicle like the LeSabre, Park Avenue or Lucerne. Frankly, in my opinion, they were better vehicles. My 300 definitely is a head turner, but I, like the OP, wonder about it's quality and longevity, and if I have made a mistake buying it. Seams people have more problems with them then I ever had with my GMs. It sure is not a winter car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's good to know that the 300 is reliable, always before buying something I like to make sure that it is the right thing. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with the 300.
kcrnmale- I would love the HEMI if gas prices were stable at $1.50 :D .
Mike in the Dro- I love the looks of the 300, and because for now I have an 02 Buick Century, by the time I get to the right speed, everyone has alredy passed me :D.
Magwa- My opinion about GM cars is mixed, we used to have a GMC Jimmy 2dr, it was an awesome car, didn't need much etc., now I have an 02 Century and although it's over 200k miles, and the engine is strong, all other things around tend to give me a hard time. This is why when I will be at the position to afford a 300S (as soon as I'm done with college and get a job), I will be glad to trade it in.

I'll ask the question again, since it's been kind of missed :D, is the 300S counted as a premium or luxury car when it comes to labor?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Labor's the same for my 300S or my Dodge Magnum. The parts are more though but hard to compare - not the same. That's just my dealership. I've never heard of Chrysler charging more for labor whether its a 300 or a Dodge or whatever. Maybe others have a different story to tell.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Labor is labor across the board with Chrysler. You're not going to get charged more because you have a specific vehicle. Not even if you have a Viper.

As for the V6 vs V8 debate. I'd still go with the V8, you'll get comparable gas mileage, and more power. What's not to like about that? My old 300C on a trip back from Vegas to Winnipeg (roughly 3000km) I got 28mpg. (And yes, with actual calculations it was pretty spot on.)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts