Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one original key FOB and an aftermarket one. Both have same problem. New batteries. Problem - Earlier. Car locked with the fobs. Went out the next morning and car would not unlock with FOBs or the door handles. When I used the KEY, the alarm sounded and did not shut off for at least 10 minutes. Could not disable or shut off (maybe if I knew how to do that, it would help). When I did wait for the alarm to stop, the car started normally and I completed the errand. BTW, I stopped by the dealer on the way home and they used the FOBs and they both worked. After that on the way home, stopped by O'Riely's to check the RF level on the FOBs on their tester and they also checked good, so I had them check the car battery because I read that it could be a problem but that checked good with his tester also. NOTE - car battery was purchased in May 2014. Dealer wouldn't check car battery without doing a FULL diagnostics. Car started and I got home normally. Parked in the garage yesterday afternoon and locked the car with the FOB and then went out later in the day to unlock because I was curious. Now it will not unlock and the little alarm light on the EVIC is flashing. Have not tried the KEY yet because I didn't want to bother the neighbors again. I am really confused. Is there a sequencing problem with the remote, that is, am I pushing the FOB lock buttons in the wrong order and thus causing the alarm system to activate. The owners manual is not real helpful. I tried to give you the details and hopefully someone can help. At the moment, I can't even get into the car to drive it to the dealer without a LOT of noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The alarm should shut off when you insert the key into the ignition switch. Did you try that?
There is NO ignition switch on a 300. It is just a push button that is activated by FOB proximity. I tried to hold the FOB close to the button (instructions to do so when the FOB battery is missing or very low) and no help. Even pushed the switch. Main problem still is that the car does not unlock with the FOB.

·
Registered
'05 300c Blondie
173 Posts
"...car battery was purchased in May 2014 "

and how long is the battery rated for? My experience is that you can count on it failing within a month of the rating... if not, a bit sooner, but not so soon that it's worth bothering with warranty.

Can't speak to that being the source of your trouble, but 8 years on a battery is remarkable.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,840 Posts
Understood. So much for "advanced" technology! Not much use in unlocking the door and not being able to do much else. This type of proximity unlocking is becoming more popular on this side of the pond and with some unexpected results - not least the ease with which they can be stolen. At least with my 2006 CRD, there is no way you can start the engine without a key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should make sure that you note this is a 2013 300 and there is no key the only thing the key does is allow you to get into the car from the driver side.

ADDED LATER
Well, I went out an hour or so earlier and tried it based on a youtube statement telling me how to get the alarm to stop. Opened with the KEY, opened door and alarm sounded. Placed the FOB at the START button. Took a little bit of doing (do not try and start the car - foot on brake, Just let it go to ACC) and then when the alarm stops use button to go to OFF and then put my foot on the brake and started as normal. Doors now open and lock correctly and when I got out of the car, the LOCK/OPEN feature works with the handle. VERY strange as I do not know what started all of this - did I push the buttons on the FOB in the wrong order, too many times, ??? At any rate, it seems to be working. Hope it continues. As for the car battery, it is or was a very expensive battery at the time, Nov 2014 Duracell 3 year warranty. Beat the odds with this one. :) And the system is still working when I went out to get battery data SO!!!!! Thanks for all your thoughts and considerate comments. Hopefully we can help someone else sort out a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
2011, Chrysler 300C
150 Posts
Wish I could be of some help but I had a similar issue the first time my FOB battery needed to be changed and the spare was also dead. I entered the vehicle with the key and the alarm sounded and couldn't figure out how to disengage. I had a couple of spare batteries which checked good but had to purchase a new battery in order to get the FOB to work again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts