Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the article from MotorAuthority. That's TONS of power and torque for a production street car, especially given the price tag.

2013 Shelby Mustang GT500 Certified At 662 Horsepower

Get ready for ludicrous speed--the 2013 Shelby Ford Mustang GT500 has been certified at 662 horsepower--12 more than the promised 650--and 630 pound-feet of torque. Why? Because muscle car. We guess.

In an interview with Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer of Ford's SVT team, and Jim Owens, vice president of marketing for Shelby, at the Team Shelby forums, the mind-blowing Mustang power figures were revealed, along with EPA estimates of 16 mpg city, 24 mpg highway.

As with most extreme high-power/high-torque cars, the run to 60 mph will be done entirely in first gear, taking the time of a shift out of the mix--and likely scoring the GT500 a time somewhere in the low-to-mid three-second range, though that hasn't yet been disclosed.

One slightly odd detail: due to the massive cooling (and consequent air flow) requirements, the 2013 GT500 won't have a grille--there's just a big, open rectangle where it would normally be. It looks like that detail will make it through to production, though we're curious to see how Ford handles the matter.

Despite the massive power output, the 2013 GT500 will start from just $54,200--about half the price of the slightly-less-powerful (but much lighter and better-handling) Corvette ZR1. The GT500 Convertible starts at $5,000 more.

For the other official details on the 2013 GT500, check out our preview here.

There's more here, including some pictures:

2013 Shelby Mustang GT500 Certified At 662 Horsepower

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
That's a lot of torque. It will take some decent rubber to hook up. Can't wait to see some performance numbers on this one. Ken, this has to be one of your future considerations, huh?

·
Registered
234 Posts
finally a manufacture smart enough to gear first for 60 mph with a set of slicks we might have a 0-60 to rival the veryon,911 turbo s, and gtr, sadly without them it will be a smoke show in the first two gears. im impressed with where theyre going but they need to do more to bring the mustang into todays market of cars with high HP.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Absolutely crazy... Ford is winning the HP wars in a big way, but Mopar doesn't care, as they're winning all the other segments. That being said, I don't think we'll see a Challenger competing anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's a lot of torque. It will take some decent rubber to hook up. Can't wait to see some performance numbers on this one. Ken, this has to be one of your future considerations, huh?
Yes, this is one of my top considerations at the moment. I was thinking about a CTS-V with pulley and tune mods, but now I'm thinking GT500 is possible as well. The GT500 weighs about 400 lbs less than the CTS-V, so the edge goes to the GT500. I believe the GT500 will be quicker than most people are even expecting. I think 11 second quarter miles right from the showroom floor are pretty much a guarantee if the launch control really works. Throw some DRs on there, and watch out! I'm more into the performance aspect anyway, so I would be happy with the GT500 with the Recaros and electronics package. The SVT Performance Package will be a must because it includes a Torsen differential.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes, this is one of my top considerations at the moment. I was thinking about a CTS-V with pulley and tune mods, but now I'm thinking GT500 is possible as well. The GT500 weighs about 400 lbs less than the CTS-V, so the edge goes to the GT500. I believe the GT500 will be quicker than most people are even expecting. I think 11 second quarter miles right from the showroom floor are pretty much a guarantee if the launch control really works. Throw some DRs on there, and watch out! I'm more into the performance aspect anyway, so I would be happy with the GT500 with the Recaros and electronics package. The SVT Performance Package will be a must because it includes a Torsen differential.
You got some serious money to blow? I thought I spent a load on my 2012 300S.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You got some serious money to blow? I thought I spent a load on my 2012 300S.
Yes, I guess I'm pretty fortunate in terms of my financial situation. A guy I work with has 10 cars and trucks, all Ford, and they each are probably worth about $30-$40K, so I feel pretty good spending a fraction of what he does on cars :).

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
That new Shelby sounds like quite the beast!

I just came in from the track at Calabogie a few minutes ago and I have a Shelby story.

Didn't happen on the track, but on a long tight on ramp to the 417 expressway, on my trip back home.

I was toodlin' along in the Beast with a buddy of mine when, what should appear in my mirror, but a current model Shelby. He wanted a piece of me as he came right onto my rear bumper as we started down the long 100 degree curve onto the freeway.

Naturally I sped up! The Shelby tried to follow me down the ramp and went almost sideways. Once I got on the freeway, I slowed down to 75mph, as it is heavily patrolled in that area.

The young lad then proceeded to blow by me rather quickly and kept his foot in. I expected to eventually see him at the side of the road with an OPP cruiser behind him, but it must have been his lucky day.

Yep - a Shelby fast in a straight line, but doesn't like it when you turn the wheel . . .

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How is it that the GT500 can't turn, yet when I compare lap times at various tracks, the GT500 beats the Challenger 392 SRT8? I'm comparing stock vs. stock of course. I can't even find SRT8s on most of the lap time sites I've been searching.

The 2009 Cadillac CTS-V and 2010 Shelby GT500 had identical lap times around VIR at 3:04.00, and the 2011 Challenger 392 did it in 3:09.40. It's important to note here that the 2010 GT500 had the old iron block that weighed 100 lbs more than the aluminum engine in the 2011 and 2012 models. I would expect the 2013 GT500 to be even faster, and not just in a straight line. The Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition is more of a track car, and it was even faster at 3:02.80.

Here's where I got the information:

Virginia International Raceway lap records - FastestLaps.com

Now these cars were likely driven by professional drivers on different days, but the Mustang does appear to be faster. Obviously the Mustang has a huge weight advantage and the power-to-weight ratio is substantially better. Where am I going wrong here?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
It's behind the Cadillac, which is not a track car at all, but a Luxo-performance. How much more do you need to see that a Mustang is a straight line car? The LS and Roush have mostly been about suspension upgrades to allow these things to turn. Great brakes and great acceleration are what gives them the track times they have.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's behind the Cadillac, which is not a track car at all, but a Luxo-performance. How much more do you need to see that a Mustang is a straight line car? The LS and Roush have mostly been about suspension upgrades to allow these things to turn. Great brakes and great acceleration are what gives them the track times they have.
I'll have to wait until I get to drive one of the new ones before I pass judgement. I never base my decisions on what someone else thinks or says about a car (Road & Track, Motortrend, Car and Driver, Jeremy Clarkson, etc, etc). If I did care about that, I would have NEVER bought my SRT8!!!! I always have to go and experience it firsthand. I was looking at fastestlaps.com (and several other sites like it) for the results to compare with the Mustang, and according to that site, the new Mustang is no slouch. The old GT500 was less than one second behind the CTS-V, and Laguna Seca is not a straight track: Laguna Seca lap records - FastestLaps.com. The Boss 302 LS Mustang made very impressive times, and the Shelby GT500 (old 2010 model with the iron block) was right there with an 09 CTS-V and less than one second behind the BMW 1 Series M Coupe. I've gone to several sites comparing lap times and the Mustang is not as bad as people say when it comes to handling. It may not be great, but it's not bad either. I also want to clarify that I'm not a Mustang fanboy, but you have to give credit where credit is due, and a 662 hp/631 lb-ft factory stock Shelby Mustang is impressive, IMO. With over 100 extra horses and less weight up front (aluminum vs. iron block), I guarantee it will be quicker than that 2010 model from that LS timed run. To be honest, I seriously doubt many Shelby owners will be taking their cars to autocross or road course types of events. I think the typical Shelby GT500 owner will take it to the dragstrip, where it will be very hard to beat.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ken, if it's horsepower you crave, why don't you keep the SRT8 you obviously love and just supercharge it? You're already past warranty, so it's a low-risk investment considering the gain in performance. I'm at 573 rwhp, which puts me close to 700 hp at the crank (depending on how you want to calculate drive-train loss). I now have the best of both worlds: a car that's fast enough to beat any Mustang on the highway (I'll be looking forward to crossing paths with the '13 Shelby 500) while maintaining comfort and a sedan's prestige. You can have all that for about $6K. It's well worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Ken, you are wise to consider the Stang. The aluminum block version is a much better handler, and the weight is the biggest factor in making a car feel responsive.

My 300 is absolutely the heaviest car I have ever had that was this fast, and there is no way I would even consider anything heavier. That eliminates the CTS-V, Camaro ZL-1, etc.

Drive it first, then decide.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ken, if it's horsepower you crave, why don't you keep the SRT8 you obviously love and just supercharge it? You're already past warranty, so it's a low-risk investment considering the gain in performance. I'm at 573 rwhp, which puts me close to 700 hp at the crank (depending on how you want to calculate drive-train loss). I now have the best of both worlds: a car that's fast enough to beat any Mustang on the highway (I'll be looking forward to crossing paths with the '13 Shelby 500) while maintaining comfort and a sedan's prestige. You can have all that for about $6K. It's well worth it.
I've been down that road before and will never do it again. I don't want to rely on speed shops ever again. Let's just say I had lots of problems and leave it at that. If I had the time and knowledge to do things myself and my SRT8 was a second car, I would do it though. I actually still have a warranty (extended) on my SRT8 and that's important to me, and the reason I'm looking to replace it some time later this year when it expires.

Ken, you are wise to consider the Stang. The aluminum block version is a much better handler, and the weight is the biggest factor in making a car feel responsive.

My 300 is absolutely the heaviest car I have ever had that was this fast, and there is no way I would even consider anything heavier. That eliminates the CTS-V, Camaro ZL-1, etc.

Drive it first, then decide.
The ZL1 has a very uncomfortable and awkward driving position. It's kind of like laying in a bath tub. I can't believe the CTS-V weighs more than our SRTs either.

The GT500 is just hard to ignore because of it's power and torque...oh my the torque. I just cut/paste this quote from roadandtrack:

"What’s more, the GT500 engine kicks like a mule from the first scratch behind the ears. Thanks to the quick-reacting Eaton TVS supercharger, the new GT500 engine makes 90 percent of its torque—that’s 568 lb.-ft.—from 2200 to 5800 rpm. Heck, there’s 395 lb.-ft. of torque at 1000 rpm, so hazing the tires should be child’s play (it normally is) when the traction control is switched off. In adult terms, you’ll hardly ever have to shift."

Here's the full article:

2013 Ford Shelby GT500

Impressive!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts