Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

2013C 5.7 P0740 Code

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Barberchabo 
#1 ·
108k miles and been having an issue that final kept the check engine light on (was sporadic before). P0740 code being shown and the symptoms are usually at the speeds when lockup in the converter would kick in. Instead of lockup activating, it "feels" like the entire ignition system quits when pressing on the gas slightly to navigate an incline and if I keep the accelerator pressed in a couple of seconds the car will suddenly jerk forward and accelerate. Not only is this unpleasant, I can't count on acceleration at higher speeds. The painful fallout is it not only kills the fuel saved by lockup mode but MDS is disabled so I'm losing that on the highway driving as well. From a convenience standpoint, this translates to the remote engine start being useless as well...talk about the snowball effect.

I'm taking it to AAMCO tomorrow to get it checked. Just wondering if anyone else had has this issue and either had a wiring issue, bad sensor or God forbid a bad converter.

#2 · (Edited)
The presence of a P0740 DTC means that the ECU has detected a problem in the circuit that controls the torque convertor clutch solenoid.

The transmission control module (TCM) controls the torque converter clutch (TCC). When disengaged, the TCC locks the converter shell to the turbine shaft – creating a 1 to 1 connection between the transmission and engine to prevent slippage. If the application of the clutch is abnormal (multiple times), then trouble code P0470 appears.

Symptoms of a P0740 include:

Check engine light
Delayed, harsh or erratic shifts
Engine stalling
Transmission shudders/shakes when coming to a stop or accelerating
Getting ‘stuck’ in a gear
Vehicle won’t move when in gear
Decreased fuel economy

Causes
Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid / filter
Damaged wiring/connector
Faulty torque convertor clutch solenoid / TCC solenoid
Faulty torque convertor and/or clutch assembly
Internal pressure issue
Valve body issue
TCM failure

It could just be the TCM harness into the transmission. However, that usually throws a P0700 "Lost communication to TCM" code.

Good luck at the shop.

#3 ·
I have a po730 code and a po700 code when slowing down to about 1000 rpm car kicks like it can’t down shift properly and when I was going about 40 miles an hour earlier I let off the gas coasted for a min and pressed the gas again and the pedal went to the floor and go wouldn’t go it didn’t stall tho then I waited a sec and hit the gas it seemed normal but threw these codes ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.