Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Had to get my windshield replaced today, and I noticed there's what looks to be a forward facing CAMERA on the windshield, just next to the rain sensor (part of the same rear-view-mirror cluster). It looked like unless that camera was connected, the rearview (backup) camera wouldn't work.
I was pretty sure this car didn't have a forward facing camera (or if it does, I haven't figured out how to use it yet). I got every option available on the 300C, and don't recall a forward facing camera being one of them. Does anyone have any idea what it's for?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually I think it's got to have something to do with the Automatic high beam control. Not quite as exciting as I thought it might be :(

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
That's correct - it's for your auto-dim headlights (and doesn't work all that great IMO)
+1. It is used for your Automatic High-Beam Head Lamp control. On my 2012 they work pretty well IMO. I will say though, anytime I am going around a bend and the car in the opposing lane is just beginning to enter the turn, the camera never picks him up. Just like any camera, it seems that there are some blind spots in its peripheral vision.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I love my auto high beams. Had them in my 2006 Jeep GC Limited and really got used to having them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It is a camera that uses some pretty out there software to work with your collision mitigation, adaptive cruise control, rain sensing wipers and auto dimming headlights among other things. We sell an aftermarket version of it where I work. Look up "Mobileye", it's pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rain sensing wipers are a different sensor to my understanding (right next to the camera, on the windshield)

Also, I thought adaptive cruise control and collision detection were the sensor next to the fog lights on the front dash?

·
Registered
195 Posts
The camera detects how many rain droplets are on that part of the windscreen to activate the wipers. When I looked into how the system works, the camera and its software does have something to do with the collision detection. Maybe it works in conjunction with the sensor in the front bumper?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a little playing this morning with the camera. Looks like even with the camera disconnected, the rain sense feature still works. It's using the sensor next to the camera, not the camera itself.

Thought that might be useful to someone trying to diagnose/troubleshoot something one day

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't know on the newer versions but mines also have a little horizontal "lines" in yellow on one and white in the other at the bottom of the windshield that also monitors the rain sensing feature.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Smartbeam feature. My 07 has it. Disabled & the camera is out of the car. Useless IMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts