Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just picked up a cool black 300S V8 Tuesday with 12 miles on it. Love it so far.

Does anyone know if it has a limited slip diff? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the web.

Gratitude.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
It does not have a Limited Slip diff. It has a virtual LSD where the ABS system applies the brake to the wheel that is spinning in order to move traction to the other wheel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It does not have a Limited Slip diff. It has a virtual LSD where the ABS system applies the brake to the wheel that is spinning in order to move traction to the other wheel.
Good to know, thanks!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I installed a Wavetrack Totque Vectoring LSD in my 2012 300S V8 5.7l and it made a huge improvement in the car. Best $1500 I ever spent on a car.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Here is my review that I posted a few years ago when I first I stalled it.

About the Wavetrac LSD. This jewel of American engineering and manufacture has made a profound difference in the drivability, feel, handling and traction of the car. First of all the Wavetrac is quieter and smoother that the factory open diff. I had not realized that the factory diff was contributing to NHV in the car until I replaced it with the Wavetrac. The whole drive train feels “tighter” and smoother. Their claims on the website of a high tolerance, quality build are certainly true. The Wavetrac has changed the way the car feels at every level of operation. When I’m driving slowly I can feel that both wheels are working. It’s subtle, I know, but the “push” feels different, more balanced. I can even feel it if I down shift and let the drive train slow the car down. I can feel that both wheels are holding the car back. At higher speed and highway speed the car feels smoother and quieter.

Now let’s get down to the nuts and bolts. Traction. I have had the Wavetrac for almost a month now and at first I had to take it easy during a 500 mile break in, but even then there was a very nice difference. I have a couple of sharp uphill turns near my house and even under moderate throttle one wheel would break loose and the PCM “nanny” would kick in and cut power. Now, no spin, no power reduction. A couple of little chirps and up I go. Then one day I was going about 15 mph in the rain and gave it about 1/2 power. The right wheel spun for a fraction of a second and then the left grabbed and no more spin, just acceleration. Very nice. I can’t wait till winter.

Now for the profound changes. Cornering and turning under power. About two weeks in I was at a stop sign waiting to make a right hand turn. There was a lot of traffic and I was getting impatient. Finally there was a tight opening so without really thinking I gunned it and made a fast 90° turn. Well I was shocked at how controlled and planted the rear end was going around the turn under power. The car was instantly going 30 mph with no wheel spin or loss of power. I was like, holy shit, this thing is awesome.

Now that the diff is pretty well broken in I have been pushing it harder. Did my first two wheel burn out. I was sitting at a red light and an Infinity coming up from behind in the other lane. Light turns green. No way am I going to let him get in front of me. So I nail it and I am graced with the sweet sound of screeching rubber in stereo. I’ve heard people say that they have gotten a 2 wheel burnout with the open diff and traction control and there have even been times where I couldn’t quite tell if I was or not, but I have never heard anything like that stereo burnout until I got the Wavetrac.

Finally, I have taken the car for some very aggressive runs on some of the curvy switchbacks in Westchester County, NY where I live. I know these roads very well. I’m talking about full throttle to the approach, hard on the brakes, dive into the turn, hit the apex, and then full throttle while tracking out of the turn. Also, very fast sweeping turns. This is where the Wavetrac really makes a truly profound difference in the handling of the car. Understeer controlled with the gas pedal. Rear end sticking like glue in the fast sweeping turns. The car is a blast to drive now. My confidence is growing as I am exploring the new limits of the cars traction and handling. Man this is the best $1,550.00 I have ever spent on a car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it's listed as having an Electronic Limited Slip Diff, which is what I think you're describing, although you're not calling it that.

As I google eLSD, I'm becoming increasingly confused because there are differing descriptions... (?different types of eLSD)

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
It is not LSD... Period. The diff is open, right wheel plants power, if it starts to lose traction the brake is applied to slow the wheel allowing the slack wheel to catch up and vice versa... It can happen fast enough that it seems to spin both and lays two patches of rubber... In reality it's not.

Now add in far too much power and the result is lots of two wheel rubber marks.... Just not real ones! Hehe!

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Hay they look real when I do em :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it's listed as having an Electronic Limited Slip Diff, which is what I think you're describing, although you're not calling it that.

As I google eLSD, I'm becoming increasingly confused because there are differing descriptions... (?different types of eLSD)
OK. So Wikipedia describes the different types of eLSD, and one is the "brake type", which is what Jim910 and silver06hemic describe. May I ask - how do you know that this is what the 2015 300 uses?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
You're just going to have to take our word for it man. :D Seriously though, if Chrysler had come out with anything other an open diff in any 300, other than a new 300 SRT, which is not offered in 2015, it would be big news and everyone would know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed a Wavetrack Totque Vectoring LSD in my 2012 300S V8 5.7l and it made a huge improvement in the car. Best $1500 I ever spent on a car.
I know this post is old, but do you remember where you got it from? I may look into getting one for my 2013 300S 5.7.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I know this post is old, but do you remember where you got it from? I may look into getting one for my 2013 300S 5.7.
I purchased it through and had it installed by High Horse Performance in Smyrna, Delaware. I live in New York so it was about a 2.5 hour drive down to their shop for me. They did it in less than a day. Actually I had headers installed the same day and they look longer than the diff install.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts