Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When would you recommend doing a tranny flush/service? Have heard 60K is the right time. any other opinions/experiences here?

·
Registered
155 Posts
What does the owners manual say?
How do you drive it?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in the city and have shorter city trips and have been doing more highway miles recently since I am commuting again to work w/ return from covid remote work. On avg use a tank or two of gas a week.

owners manual says for automatic trans 8 speed tranny- use only MOPAR ZF 8&9 Speed ATF Auto Trans Fluid, or equivalent.

I am confused on the maintenance chart in the owners manual....it doesn't specifically list tranny fluid but has at 60K and 120K maintenance listed for: INSPECT THE TRANSFER CASE FLUID. CHANGE THE TRANSFER CASE FLUID; IF USING YOUR VEHICLE FOR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING: POLICE, TAXI, FLEET, OFF-ROAD, OR FREQUENT TRAILER TOWING (ALL WHEEL DRIVE ONLY)

Is transfer case fluid the same as tranny fluid flush?? Not sure if those are synonymous with each other. My car is AWD but not used for police, taxi, fleet, etc.

curious for anyones thoughts on that. I am a newbie.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I like to do at least a pan drop & filter every 50k or so. I won't do a flush unless it's hasn't been changed for 80k or so, or looks dirty. And even then, it would be a passive flush, never a power flush.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like to do at least a pan drop & filter every 50k or so. I won't do a flush unless it's hasn't been changed for 80k or so, or looks dirty. And even then, it would be a passive flush, never a power flush.
what is difference between power and passive flush?

·
Registered
978 Posts
what is difference between power and passive flush?
A power flush is when you use an external machine to force fresh fluid in under pressure.

A passive flush is when you use the transmission's own pump to draw in fresh fluid and drain the contaminated fluid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A power flush is when you use an external machine to force fresh fluid in under pressure.

A passive flush is when you use the transmission's own pump to draw in fresh fluid and drain the contaminated fluid.
Thanks for that. What do you think a standard mechanic/stealership would wanna do at 60K miles?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hard to say. Some shops follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule, some try to sell a power flush to everyone who walks in the door.

Update: You should also consider changing the front & rear differential and transfer case fluid. And no, none of them are the same as the transmission fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I thought the service interval on the 8-speed was 100K miles. That's when I had my 2012 done...

·
Registered
978 Posts
I thought the service interval on the 8-speed was 100K miles. That's when I had my 2012 done...
So far as I know, there's no maintenance at all required for the ZF 8HP45. According to the owner's manual for my 2014, the only recommended maintenance is for the NAG1 5-speed.

Personally, I like to change the fluid in any automatic transmission. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

image_2021-05-28_183649.png

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I would highly recommend that you only fill the same amount of fluid that came out if you are not doing a complete flush.

Reactions: dan0o0o

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hard to say. Some shops follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule, some try to sell a power flush to everyone who walks in the door.

Update: You should also consider changing the front & rear differential and transfer case fluid. And no, none of them are the same as the transmission fluid.
thanks. that is good to know there is a difference between trans fluid and transfer case fluid. I think I'll inspect the front & rear transfer case fluid as the owners manual calls for inspection at 48K miles and another inspection at 60K.

Sorry I am a newbie here but still really confused on when to do a trans passive flush. At what mileage? why can't I find it in the owners manual? so weird it is not listed and I have looked several times and now determined it is not the same as transfer case fluid.

·
Registered
978 Posts
thanks. that is good to know there is a difference between trans fluid and transfer case fluid. I think I'll wait on front & rear transfer case fluid as I'm only at 45K miles now.
Just to clarify; the transmission, transfer case, front differential and rear differential are four different components.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There don't appear to be any. As I posted upthread, "So far as I know, there's no maintenance at all required for the ZF 8HP45."
whoa. where can I confirm what what type of engine is in my car? Don't see it in general owners manual. I have an automatic 2016 300 S though.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
whoa. where can I confirm what what type of engine is in my car? Don't see it in general owners manual. I have an automatic 2016 300 S though.
If you have the 8-speed, then it's the transmission designed by ZF (my 2012 was actually manufactured in Germany by ZF). For years we've gone back and forth on the service interval for this transmission, and as others said above, doesn't exist in the owner's manual. But for my 2012, both my dealer and my favorite mechanic told me it was 100K miles. My mechanic drained it shortly before 100K miles and declared it approaching its service life. He replaced it at 105K miles.

The cost of that fluid is exorbitant, too. I think he used a cheaper alternative as a flushing fluid. But he insisted that it be replaced with the OEM because no other transmission fluid had been tested for 100K miles. $35/qt IIRC.

·
Registered
978 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with servicing your transmission, but if you don't know what engine you have, you can just pop your hood. If the engine cover says, "3.6 VVT", it's a six-cylinder Pentastar. If it says, "5.7 Hemi", well, that's what it is.

For what it's worth, you can buy genuine ZF Lifeguard 8 transmission fluid for your car on that big auction site for around $20 per quart.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It doesn't have anything to do with servicing your transmission, but if you don't know what engine you have, you can just pop your hood. If the engine cover says, "3.6 VVT", it's a six-cylinder Pentastar. If it says, "5.7 Hemi", well, that's what it is.

For what it's worth, you can buy genuine ZF Lifeguard 8 transmission fluid for your car on that big auction site for around $20 per quart.
I have a 3.6 VVT I confirmed when I looked under the hood.

I am confused...if it is not listed in the owners manual w/ maint schedule....should I never service the transmission? or should I still do a service around 60K? why wouldnt they list it in the owners manual?

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I do not know why Chrysler doesn't put that into the owner's manual. But everybody I have spoken to agree that the transmission should have a fluid change at 100K miles. My experience with my 2012 was that the fluid was getting dirty at about that time. I think the radiator fluid has a service interval like that as well. My favorite mechanic also liked to change out the brake fluid even though it doesn't say when to change that either.

My biggest bone to pick was the electric power steering... My 2012 started shuddering when turning vigorously to the left while parking. My mechanic saw no way to drain the system short of taking the whole thing down and apart. It did not seem to be a serviceable mechanism.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts