Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2019 Chrysler 300 with the 6 speaker 276 watt Alpine system. Sounds pretty bad. I’ve upgraded the front dash speakers and the rear deck speakers. So today I installed the factory 500 watt amp. Part # 68425658AB. It sounds muffled and has no mids or highs. Dash 3.5 inch speakers have no sound. All others have a low muffled sound.

Called the dealer and they can’t even tell me if the car requires programming for the new amp to work. But they are glad to try for $150. They are telling me I may have voided my warranty now too.

FYI I did this same project to my 2012 300 and it was plug and play. Sounded fantastic no programming needed.

Does anyone know. Is the dealer programming required now? As I said it was NOT needed on the 2012 system. Maybe I just bought a bad amp?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took it to the dealer. They couldn’t figure it out. Tech said he reset car and hoped it would learn the new amp by itself. He didn’t know anything about programming the radio to see the new amp. He wasn’t terribly motivated I could see. Upside they didn’t charge me. Downside is they gave up and said go away haha. Must be a way to do this Jesus!

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
"Nuts" to that crap.

I retrofitted a backup camera to my 2012. Once installed, nothing happened! It turns out that the procedure is to update the car's configuration on the Chrysler website for this purpose, download the flash for every module in the car, and then flash everything in the car which takes 45 minutes. Probably your dealer is not familiar with these gyrations.

Oh, and I was charged $130.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx was hoping you would reply Krell. I remember you helped me when I upgraded my 2012 300c stereo. So now I’m trying to do it it my newer 2019.

There are 2 amps listed In the 506 watt model. Both list my 2019 300 Limited as a fit. I bought the first one Listed below. Do you think it’s possibly the wrong amp for the 6 Alpine speakers? Or are you certain the 2019 requires the procedure you mentioned. As you recall the 2012 amp was plug and play.

1) Part Number: 68425658AB
Supersession(s): 68425658AA; 68267301AB; 68267301AA; 68303976AC; 68267301AC; 68303976AB
[506 Watt Amplifier] OR [552 Watt Amplifier], [Instrument Panel Parts Module], [Instrument Panel Parts Module], [552 Watt Amplifier], [Instrument Panel Parts Module], [506 Watt Amplifier].
Fits 300, Challenger, Charger

2) Part Number: 68426053AB
[506 Watt Amplifier].
Fits 300

·
Registered
744 Posts
Seems like you've gone through an awful lot of trouble. Have you tried changing the BCM configuration yourself with AlfaOBD?

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
There are 2 amps listed In the 506 watt model. Both list my 2019 300 Limited as a fit. I bought the first one Listed below. Do you think it’s possibly the wrong amp for the 6 Alpine speakers? Or are you certain the 2019 requires the procedure you mentioned. As you recall the 2012 amp was plug and play.
No idea! If you had to enter your VIN, then I think this amp should work. I've had 2 different online parts dealers reject my purchase of a hands-free module once they ran my VIN. They insist on making me purchase the latest/greatest which is now over $500. I don't need the latest/greatest! I want an earlier model that will work and costs only $200. :mad:

Yes, the 2012 amp replacement was plug/play. But that may have changed with the manufacturer (Chrysler dumped Panasonic and went with Harmon in 2015). The new Harmon model may require the reconfiguration as I described above. Note that I am wildly speculating. Sorry I cannot give you a more definitive answer. I'm just another confused customer.

But I will confess to lusting after a 2021 in Crystal Granite. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like you've gone through an awful lot of trouble. Have you tried changing the BCM configuration yourself with AlfaOBD?
Great idea CtCarl. Just read up on the AlfaOBD. Do you have one ? Does it have any option for radio / amp for your vehicle. I couldn’t find a feature list on their site. Hate to blow the $100 for software and an OBD bluetooth gizmo if it doesn’t. I sent them an email asking and I’ll post their response.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No idea! If you had to enter your VIN, then I think this amp should work. I've had 2 different online parts dealers reject my purchase of a hands-free module once they ran my VIN. They insist on making me purchase the latest/greatest which is now over $500. I don't need the latest/greatest! I want an earlier model that will work and costs only $200. :mad:

Yes, the 2012 amp replacement was plug/play. But that may have changed with the manufacturer (Chrysler dumped Panasonic and went with Harmon in 2015). The new Harmon model may require the reconfiguration as I described above. Note that I am wildly speculating. Sorry I cannot give you a more definitive answer. I'm just another confused customer.

But I will confess to lusting after a 2021 in Crystal Granite. :D
God the dealers are just control freaks on this stuff. And it’s hit or miss if you get a cranky tech helping you. So Harman makes the new radio. Didn’t know. And then they put a crappy alpine 276w amp in behind it Brilliant. The alpine 506w amp I bought for my older 300c rocks tho!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Great idea CtCarl. Just read up on the AlfaOBD. Do you have one ? Does it have any option for radio / amp for your vehicle. I couldn’t find a feature list on their site. Hate to blow the $100 for software and an OBD bluetooth gizmo if it doesn’t. I sent them an email asking and I’ll post their response.
Yes, AlfaOBD does have various sound group and audio options, including diagnostics. This thread on our sister site might be helpful for you.

The full version of AlfaOBD is $50, and there is a time-limited free demo version available. You can use pretty much any ELM327-compatible Bluetooth adapter, they start around $12.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, AlfaOBD does have various sound group and audio options, including diagnostics. This thread on our sister site might be helpful for you.

The full version of AlfaOBD is $50, and there is a time-limited free demo version available. You can use pretty much any ELM327-compatible Bluetooth adapter, they start around $12.
Sweet .. thanks again. I’ll give it a roll this week and let you guys know how it goes. 🤞

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found out on the Challenger forum that if you have a 2018+ the AlfaOBD software requires the use of a security bypass module. Verified it with a thread poster as well. Cost is $60 And this company sells one — ZAutomotive.

Debating just going with the Kenwood/Maestro after market option now. This is getting way too convoluted for my blood. May give another dealer a shot at it. One upside of the factory amp is that it provides a signal for a subwoofer on the rear deck. The Kenwood after market will not have a channel for a small sub.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Found out on the Challenger forum that if you have a 2018+ the AlfaOBD software requires the use of a security bypass module. Verified it with a thread poster as well. Cost is $60 And this company sells one — ZAutomotive.

Debating just going with the Kenwood/Maestro after market option now. This is getting way too convoluted for my blood. May give another dealer a shot at it. One upside of the factory amp is that it provides a signal for a subwoofer on the rear deck. The Kenwood after market will not have a channel for a small sub.
For what it's worth, AlfaOBD is a very powerful diagnostic and programming tool. You may well find other uses for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts