Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 300 has never been one to blow hot air, and it has usually taken longer than I'd like to get the warmth that I like... But now that it's -21C outside it has become an issue. My 40 minute drive this morning started out with the car barely turning over, followed by arctic conditions INSIDE the car the whole way to work. Thank goodness for heated seats!

Any idea where to start looking for solutions to the no heat in the cockpit problem?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
1) Frozen and/or slushy coolant in the heater coolant flow circuit blocking adequate flow. Check for
adequate freeze protection.
2) Thermostat may be leaking internally allowing coolant to flow when it is not supposed to. Try putting a
piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to reduce air flow through it.
3) Low coolant level not allowing sufficient coolant to flow to the heater core.
4) Partially blocked heater core not allowing sufficient coolant to flow through it.

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
Start it up and let it idle for a while to insure the coolant reaches operating temperature and begins cycling.

·
Registered
37 Posts
First of all, your coolant mix should be at least 50/50, and possibly a little richer where you reside. Secondly, it's good practice to allow your vehicle to idle a few minutes in the driveway before you take it for a drive. That way, your windshield and rear window will have been defrosted a bit, and the interior will have some heat by then. Before I drove my car last night, I let it idle in the driveway a good five minutes as the temperature was 6 F above outside.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
2006.300.AWD:
Just wondering, does your car sit outside in that kind of temperature? Or is it kept in a relatively warm garage?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank for the feedback guys. To answer some of your questions:

The car sits outside all the time.
I let the car idle for a bit before I go sometimes, but not by default/habit.
The temp gauge displays correctly in the instrument cluster.
I have not yet learned what the EVIC is so I have not checked it either.

When I got to work this morning I parked it inside the shop where it had a chance to warm up overall, for about 3 hours before I took it for another drive. This time it was bearable because the car had residual heat, but as time went on it got colder inside. It is blowing warmer-than-outside air at this point, but not enough to take the hat'n mitts off. I have to check the other things mentioned in this thread still.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a dead fuse in the trunk - looks like it's the A/C one. I'd go confirm with a drive home, but now the car won't start, lol

I'll charge the battery and try again in a bit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
To compare results in similar temperatures, we had -28C last week, car sitting outside all night, after starting it in the morning I could feel lukewarm air coming from vents after about 7 - 9 minutes idle. After about 10 min. drive it was getting warmer inside.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^^ Same here at -32 last Wednesday. Around 10 minutes to get warm inside.
To Lance, if the engine temp is OK then your T-stat is OK.
EVIC temperature menu s accessed by holding down music note and map buttons on the steering wheel for about 8 seconds. Use the scroll buttons to find the right screen. Temperature should be around 90C.
Once the engine get up to operating temperature, place the heater control to max heat and check the hoses that go to the interior heater. If they are the same temperature as the hoses to the front radiator that means the heater core is working. The problem is then the diverter door in the interior air distrbution assembly.
If the hoses are not the same temp, then you might have an air lock in your cooling system nd it needs to be bled.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the additional help. I did find that dead fuse in the back and then started it up to see if I could get some heat. I managed to get some heat after a few minutes but I could not go out into the cold to put it to the test because the car would not start back up again.

I had a mechanic stop by and put an ODB2 scan tool on it to figure it out. In the end he found that the Timing Belt broke, so now I'm going to handle that, plus the water pump and the mildly noisy serpentine belt before I get back to the heat issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts